*** Zelda: Breath of the Wild ***

Caporegime
So I have done 4 DBs, explored just about the whole map, found 98 shrines and 60 Korok seeds (clearly not very good at finding these - there's apparently about 1,000 :eek:).

Time to take on Ganon I think.

The Korok seeds are generally...

If you see the following:-

1 - Rock on top of a mountain, or a rock in the middle of somewhere
2 - a single tree that stands alone.
3 - a stump of a tree, stand on it
4 - a little paper windmill
5 - a circle of leaves in a pond, dive into it.

You are VERY good at the shrines though, I've only done like 37 so far, you must have a lot of hearts and stamina.

Soldato
Must be about 10+ hours in now and already can see why the praise is so high. They've got so many things right with this game and the attention to detail literally makes you feel like a kid playing a game again at times. My only gripes so far is the horse recall system, weapon and shield durability is too low and that 900p on a larger monitor isn't quite enough. It looks very good on its own screen however.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Shrines are easy as they beep at you. I have 400 korok seeds and I haven't done any of the four bosses yet.

400? WOW!

The Korok seeds are generally...

If you see the following:-

1 - Rock on top of a mountain, or a rock in the middle of somewhere
2 - a single tree that stands alone.
3 - a stump of a tree, stand on it
4 - a little paper windmill
5 - a circle of leaves in a pond, dive into it.

You are VERY good at the shrines though, I've only done like 37 so far, you must have a lot of hearts and stamina.

Or a weird sparkle from anywhere. Basically anything that makes you think "that's not right".

Where the heck is the old ladies lab ? I'm intrigued haha

Also at the start when you first get the upgrades to your tablet like bombs n magnet and freeze ... I noticed that there was an extra space on the end like there'd be another ability added ? Or is that just me :D

Seen on a youtube video, one is for an Amibo. So maybe that?

Associate
2 weeks in and according to the WiiU I've done 82 hours of this game (some of that is non-saved/failed attempts obviously).
-64 Shrines
-65 Korok seeds
-2 DBs
-9 memories
-10 Hearts (after a while you realise that you only need hearts if you get hit by enemies I've been fine with just 10 a while)
-Max Stamina which is 3 stamina wheels. After the last upgrade I was told that I've gotten max and can't get anymore.
-Bottom half of the map explored fairly well
-Whole map uncovered.

As of yesterday. I did similarly on Far Cry 3, at first I was just getting the towers as explored area, but recently I found that it was harder to explore without a map to put pins on. So I just went around and got all the towers. But 1k Korok seeds? Makes sense now I guess. Considering how many slots can fit on a page... I bet that's one of the things that most folks will need to Google/use a guide to get them all lol.

Also, props to this game for the option of motion controls. I probably won't use it again, but it really does give a mouse-like precision when aiming. At least on WiiU, idk if Switch has it. I was struggling with the horseback archery until I used the Gamepad and then it was easy-mode. Use the stick for larger movements and the Gamepad for the precision. I'll always feel this way, but motion controls are superior for precision controls on consoles. It's the closest thing to a mouse and I found Pikmin 3 very difficult with a Pro controller, till I used the old Wiimote/nunchuck combo. Alas, you don't really need it most of the game, analogue stick does the job especially since Link will usually be standing still to ready a shot and the enemies won't be moving around too fast.

And something cool I found:

I thought this was the master sword at first. Only appears on some nights and going up there, there were tons of the Rupee light-bunnies. But there was also this majestic glowing deer-like thing. Turns out we can tame it, but it does take a fair bit of stamina, thank goodness for Stamina Elixirs. I can't tell what the stats are, but it has max stamina. i took it to the stables to register it, but they said it's "the king of the mountain" and they won't let me register it for fear of getting cursed or something.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
70 hours, 109 shrines, couple of hundred korok seeds, 3 DBs and currently working on upgrading my gear :)

Very nice. I wish I had explored a bit more for shrines before doing main quests. At 70 hours I think I had about 70 shrines, around 60 korok seeds. Had upgraded my gear, was just finished the memories. By 75 hours I was going around searching for Lynels and killing them and then finished off Ganon.

I think if one takes it a bit more slower at the start and explores more, the game can last about 100 hours. I may do this in the future if they ever get it working nicely on PC so I can play it 4K :)

Caporegime
Very nice. I wish I had explored a bit more for shrines before doing main quests. At 70 hours I think I had about 70 shrines, around 60 korok seeds. Had upgraded my gear, was just finished the memories. By 75 hours I was going around searching for Lynels and killing them and then finished off Ganon.

I think if one takes it a bit more slower at the start and explores more, the game can last about 100 hours. I may do this in the future if they ever get it working nicely on PC so I can play it 4K :)

I wonder how well it works on PC, probably terrible.

Soldato
I just follow my radar when it starts beeping, can't take too much credit for that :p
I spent 20mins the other day looking for one, it turns out I was standing on top of it....

There is a shrine in the Faron region that I just can't find. Beeps like I'm right next to it but can never find it!
33 hours into it, did my first DB yesterday. I'm on 9 hearts 1.5 stamina and I think I've done maybe 30-35 shrines.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There is a shrine in the Faron region that I just can't find. Beeps like I'm right next to it but can never find it!
33 hours into it, did my first DB yesterday. I'm on 9 hearts 1.5 stamina and I think I've done maybe 30-35 shrines.
Not telling you the location, more of a tip:

usually behind a waterfall, behind a wall or in the ground. Just look nearby for something that looks like a puzzle :)also keep an eye out for rocks that you can use a bomb on that will crumble.

Soldato
Yeah I have been looking out for those but I'll be a bit more vigilant. Not a bad place to be. hearty durian everywhere!

What I don't understand is how did Nintendo nail this game so well on a first try for an open world? I'm sure other games will be looking at BoTW as a 'How to open world' but still miss the mark spectacularly

Caporegime
Yeah I have been looking out for those but I'll be a bit more vigilant. Not a bad place to be. hearty durian everywhere!

What I don't understand is how did Nintendo nail this game so well on a first try for an open world? I'm sure other games will be looking at BoTW as a 'How to open world' but still miss the mark spectacularly

Whilst impressed with it so far and epic credit to them for producing such a good game on a handheld device I'm not sure it's a 10/10 for me.

The story is pretty non-existent, generic Zelda fair, as expected. I can't remember a single character that stands out much.

The shrines are pretty repetitive and tiny. I've only done 30 so far though. I miss the dungeons from older titles.

Finding the seeds is starting to drag a little. Feels like filler. I'm not sure the world needs to be as big as it is. There are some pretty large empty spaces.

Cooking is boring too.

The weapon durability makes inventory management a right grind. Along with the open chest, oh no your inventory is full, drop something, open chest again grind. Also the oh no your weapon has broken mid fight, no auto grabbing the next one, back into the inventory again.

The side quests I've come across are all "run here, fetch that" - I'm sure one I've got is something like "get me 10 crickets" - I'm not doing that.

I'm playing Witcher 3 at the same time and can't help compare them.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Their first open world game was the original Legend of Zelda on the NES ;)

Plus this has been in development for 10 years, over which time it was scrapped and restarted a number of times.

Soldato
Also. I ran out of arrows for shooting the Ogre. By that point he was on about 10% hp so I did the only thing I could and kite him with bombs.

I love how you can approach every situation differently. The sense of achievement when you do something neat or chugging elixirs to climb unknown peaks is just wonderful.

Its got a sense of adventure I've not at in any other open world game. And I've played all the big ones.

Back
Top Bottom