*** Zelda: Breath of the Wild ***

Soldato
Couldn't find a thread dedicated to the new Zelda which I thought was strange.

We have a Switch thread but if any game deserves its own thread it's Zelda!

So how are you feeling about it since the last presentation?

I loved the new trailer -

Does anyone think the price will come down before launch? £60 is a lot of money.

EDIT: 02/03/2017 - No spoilers tag added to the thread title, to be safe though as some screenshots and videos have been posted previously I recommend only viewing from page 15 onward if you're really concerned.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So which box art do you prefer, US or Europe?

This was an article on Eurogamer the other day.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...an-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-box-art

US is on the left, Europe on the right.

breath_wild_box_art.png

Personally, I much prefer the US one as it seems much more dramatic, I don't like the way Link is looking back in the EU version.

US box is very Lord of the Rings, but that's seldom a bad thing.

Was surprised at the comments on Eurogamer, a lot of people preferred the blue skies EU one, I thought the moody US one would have taken it hands down.

Soldato
OP
That's a difficult choice, but I think I prefer the brighter EU one. I feel it better suits the title "Breath of the Wild".

I actually made some quick job 1080p desktop wallpapers from the new art:
http://i.imgur.com/EO9LufE.png
http://i.imgur.com/RDeBqFP.png

I know what you mean, I think if Link was looking straight on or in silouette then I'd love it.

Thanks for the wallpapers/links, I found a pretty good version of the US one previously but wasn't optimised for widescreen. Is now sitting proudly on my desktop.

Soldato
OP
For folks wondering which version to get (assuming you own a WiiU currently), ask yourself the following: would you rather pay £300+ or £40?

£300 as I get a nice new portable console which I'll be playing for the next 3 years as a minimum, plus the Wii U version is reported to run like a bit of a dog.

Let's be frank, I'm going to buy a Switch at some point, okay there might be a bundle with a game in 6 months or the price might have dropped to £250 from £280 but I'd rather enjoy it from the 3rd March rather than arguing over what in reality isn't a huge amount of money.

Soldato
OP
That's the kick in the teeth right there. Hey guys, we know you've been waiting for this on the WiiU for a silly no. of years and we kept promising it was coming, but we've got a new console coming out with no good games and need to port it to that. You can still get the not so good version, but you'll need to cough up for the one that runs well :rolleyes:

Yeah is a shame, loyalty is rarely rewarded. There have a been a number of great games for the Wii U, if you like first party Nintendo stuff.

Personally I wouldn't buy a console for what is coming but what is available (or nailed on for the near future) and I know we have Zelda in March and MK8 in April. That's why I skipped the PS4 at launch.

Soldato
OP
How open do you think BotW will be? One of the things I love about Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 4 is ability to just go off and explore and have your own adventure.

Previous Zelda games have always felt very linear to me.

Soldato
OP
looks to be quite open world but im wondering if the 'zones' they showed will be restrictive to what level you are.

I don't mind there being some restrictions, Fallout 4 let you go anywhere but if you went to an area you shouldn't you'd be mullered in about 10 seconds anyway.

Even GTA Vice City confined you to one side of the map and only opened the bridges when you had progressed the story to a certain point.

Soldato
OP
Good video of BotW from Polygon on YouTube - https://youtu.be/310PF8ctRTM

17 minutes of play with no annoying commentary, just the game.

I didn't watch it all as I'm going to try and avoid many more videos, much as I want to know everything I'd like to experience it for myself on launch.

Soldato
OP
I'm wondering when the review embargo for BotW is?

If it's prior to 3rd March and Zelda turns out to be just a good game rather than a great one (hopefully it's not rubbish!) would you consider cancelling your Switch/Zelda pre-order and waiting for a price drop?

Soldato
OP
I'm really hoping there is a lot open space, I loved Oblivion and Skyrim but you couldn't walk 5 yards without tripping over a temple, dungeon or bandit camp.

Soldato
OP
Forgot to mention these pre order bonuses in the UK

Tempted to preorder the normal version to get something
Then keep the special edition sealed.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/grab-these-cool-breath-of-the-wild-pre-order-bonuses-in-the-uk/

As I'm getting sod all for pre-ordering from Amazon I'll check the Switch store on day 1 and if Zelda is £50 I might as well buy direct and return to Amazon.

Only £2 saving with Amazon and I'd have digital so one less cart to carry around.

That being said I want to see what Nintendo are doing with regards to tying games to your account finally, is why I haven't bought hardly any for Wii U or 3DS, don't want the hassle of trying to have them authorise moving to another system if one breaks.

Soldato
OP
I'd have been ok with this if they'd waited at least a month or two after the game release before announcing it. Day one DLC just makes you feel like you're being mugged!

This is pretty much my feeling, the day one chests and t-shirt sound naff, locking hard mode (whatever that is) behind the season pass seems mean as I can't imagine it took long to adjust some sliders. Maybe it'll make Zelda into a rogue-like with permadeath.

They must have made this stuff already but decided to keep it back until later which in my mind means it should be in the base game anyway.

Soldato
OP
Would you mind explain ? I have a Wii U with digital content. if this system dies, have I lost my digital media (out of warranty, so I won't be sending to Nintendo).

I was always wary of Nintendo methods in this regard.

Digital games are tied to the console not your account, so you can't just download them again like you can on Android, iOS, PS4, Xbox etc. which is incredibly stupid.

If your console dies you have to call up Nintendo to try and shift the software or if you have both working then you can go through some awkward transferring process which wipes it from the original.

Back
Top Bottom