Who owns a 350z/370z?

Soldato
I posted this in the 'What have you done to your car today' thread but may as well post here as its 370z related.

370-boot.jpg

Took my boot apart to put down some soundproofing due to some reverberation off my new exhaust. Much quieter and there really is zero soundproofing as stock!

Soldato
Seriously tempted by one of these at the moment, as I need to scratch the Japanese car itch again at the moment. My thoughts are as follows:

350Z: Entertaining 'muscle car'-like vibe, plenty of parts, £9k gets you a great example of a late car
200SX: Four cylinders. Meh. Expensive and, unless you spend top dollar, usually full of rust.
Mk3 Supra: Usually full of rust.
Mk4 Supra: Getting seriously expensive for a desirable example.
R32 GT-R: Think I'd be too worried about it grenading to actually pay £20k for a really clean one and use it.
RX-7: See above, except more like £12k-£15k.
RX-7 with an LS: Slightly uncomfortable with this idea, as you could just buy a C5 and be done with it.
R33 GT-R: Do like the V-Spec examples but seen some with bad rust and, again, be worried about having to tread gently with it.

Anyone care to throw any other cars or thoughts into the mix? Basically, I just want something I can pound on, fettle, drive and enjoy - without having to worry about too much else...

Soldato
Seriously tempted by one of these at the moment, as I need to scratch the Japanese car itch again at the moment. My thoughts are as follows:

350Z: Entertaining 'muscle car'-like vibe, plenty of parts, £9k gets you a great example of a late car
200SX: Four cylinders. Meh. Expensive and, unless you spend top dollar, usually full of rust.
Mk3 Supra: Usually full of rust.
Mk4 Supra: Getting seriously expensive for a desirable example.
R32 GT-R: Think I'd be too worried about it grenading to actually pay £20k for a really clean one and use it.
RX-7: See above, except more like £12k-£15k.
RX-7 with an LS: Slightly uncomfortable with this idea, as you could just buy a C5 and be done with it.
R33 GT-R: Do like the V-Spec examples but seen some with bad rust and, again, be worried about having to tread gently with it.

Anyone care to throw any other cars or thoughts into the mix? Basically, I just want something I can pound on, fettle, drive and enjoy - without having to worry about too much else...

FD's are not that unreliable, afaik from a guy I spoke with who knows his rotaries the rx8's are the worse out of the rotary engined cars. RX7's are fine as long as they're loved and even if they go pop the rebuilds are not "that" crazy.

out of all those 350z seems to be the best choice.

the 200sx is usually beaten hard by drift kids, modded and rusted
supras cost silly money nowadays sadly, you can still pick an auto for decent money but well, its an old auto.
R32 is only appreciating but again, reliability..

Soldato
I think all of the Skyline's are getting silly now, in terms of parts availability (especially R32) and the price premium for bits for them. Fine if you are getting one as your 'forever' car, to restore/modify, but as something to drive/pound on and not worry about I think the boat has sailed.....I think unless you spend big and buy one with everything done then it'll just be a constant wish list of things that need attention or you're worried about breaking.

Not tempted by a spec C scooby?

Associate
To be honest the 350z is great for the money. I've 'only' got a DE rather than the later and better HR engined model but it's still great. Just something satisfying about the combination of having a big lump up front (that sounds delightful), RWD at the back and a couple of decent heated seats in the middle (GT). Also just relative rareness and generally being cool/interesting if I do say so myself. It's also not bad round corners really...same time as e46 M3 round the top gear track :p

Edit: on the subject of skyline parts above, I read recently that Nissan are going to start up producing parts again, starting with the R32. Might have been on a drive tribe article.

Soldato
The 'spec C' was available in the new age (blob eye) shape onwards, they did several different variants but essentially it combined the best elements of the JDM variants. Some lightweight modifications, revised suspension and brakes, chassis stiffening in certain places for motorsport use, and the strongest 2.0 engine with twin scroll turbo, AVCS cylinder heads. Essentially your ultimate 'factory' model, better than anything we got in the UK from subaru. Import only.

Newer and with better parts availability than the skyline, likely to not require as much fettling (they are tough cars), and will hold its value well IMO. Much more a car you can buy, stick a nice sounding exhaust and remap on (it'd be rude not too after all), beat on and not have to worry about too much else.

Appreciate they are very different from your original suggestions and perhaps a level down from the likes of skylines and supras.

Soldato
Yes exactly like that. ScoobyDoo69 on here can tell you more about the spec C I'm sure!

Evos are good but the servicing intervals are much closer together (so running costs go up a notch) and I get the impression they are a little more fragile generally, things like AYC pumps and the like...plus they seem to rot worse than subarus too. Similar sort of car though.

Soldato
RX7 without hesitation, easily the best chassis on the list. LS engine would be the icing on the cake I guess, nothing beats an LS for roasting the tyres off a car :D

Back
Top Bottom