Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Frankly I doubt if many Tory voters would be bothered if the Tory manifesto was just slung into the bin. No one will care one bit.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Oops, meant to quote easyrider reply to my earlier post.

So what would then happen?
Change of Conservative leader, another election, or just stumble along with nothing being done?
I egt very confused with all this!

Caporegime
I don't think it's the doom and gloom the media are making out for the Conservatives so long as the DUP play ball, they don't have an overall majority but they do have a majority of the vote so remainers can no longer claim that May doesn't have a mandate for Brexit so they can shut about having another referendum on the terms of Brexit and it's put Sturgeon in her place over Scottish independence. Not to mentioned Brexit won't be sabotaged in 2 years if she had lost a later election which was quite possible after 2 years of the EU sabotaging negotiations.

There's a lot more going on than Brexit and here waffer-thin majority is going to make putting things over Brexit interesting. The DUP are likely to be much more concerned with the Irish side of things and, well, if they're relying on their support. It's things like budgets that are going to get interesting. The Tories have been forced into U-turn after U-turn over their budgets already; without even a majority, they're going to struggle even more. Even with DUP support - which is likely to be unreliable - it only takes a couple of backbenchers to rebel for them to lose a vote. Expect a great many defeats for the party in the coming months.

Caporegime
Change of Conservative leader, another election, or just stumble along with nothing being done?

It will just crumble...May hasn't got the patience...Once she has to beg to get things through she'll throw the towel in.

Man of Honour
failed government, back to the ballot boxes we go. likely with a new tory leader and a changed manifesto to try and pick up votes.

Associate
Seems to me that May's speech was a business as usual style outlook. No real sense of defeat to it. I guess she is confident that backed with the DUP she can push ahead with it all. Personally, can't see Brexit being "dead" now at all. It's not really under threat as Corbyn himself has said he respects referendum decision. I know only a handful of people are claiming this though.

Caporegime
Seems to me that May's speech was a business as usual style outlook. No real sense of defeat to it. I guess she is confident that backed with the DUP she can push ahead with it all. Personally, can't see Brexit being "dead" now at all. It's not really under threat as Corbyn himself has said he respects referendum decision. I know only a handful of people are claiming this though.

It was called acting.

She was crying earlier

Caporegime
as a remainer I would say David Davis as crazy as that sounds he is at least a safe pair of hands and was always on the leave side without being a weasel like Gove

No chance, this whole GE was his idea so a lot of the Tory mainstream blame him for the mess they are in today.

Caporegime
Policies[edit]
The DUP is a sectarian[opinion], right-wing populist[5] party. It is characterized by its Ulster loyalist position, which it has staunchly held since its inception. Ulster loyalism, with its aim for continued inclusion of Northern Ireland in the UK, has been identified as a type of ethnic nationalism[40], it is historically linked with paramilitarism. Following the 2017 general election, where no party received an outright majority, it entered into an agreement to support the UK Conservative party in government.[41] The DUP said "The alternative is intolerable. For as long as Corbyn leads Labour, we will ensure there’s a Tory PM."[41]

The DUP is Eurosceptic [4], but have stated that they prefer a soft Brexit. DUP's core beliefs include an ideological support for corruption as well as unwavering opposition to Homosexuality and Abortion. They also believe that Dinosaurs are not real. [42]. They are religious fundamentalists who believe that the earth was created by two fictional characters [43]

They sit, politically, somewhere to the right of Donald Trump.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Unionist_Party

Soldato
Been a busy day - well that was fun and promises more fun to come. I'm glad Corbyn has been kept out though... Just. But hopefully next GE Corbyn will be too old and there will be someone else in charge of Labour

I'm sure it not going to end here as may has to go at some point. I expect she will stay for a 2hile to kick Brexit off the might go in the Autumn

Soldato
http://www.bbc.com/news/politics/constituencies/E14000628

Interesting result, Conservative hold in Chelmsford is expected but look at the UKIP vote it's all but disappeared but rather then go to the Tories it went to Labour. This probably explains the result in the whole of the country as I think a lot of us expected the UKIP vote to go to the Conservatives but Corbyn's position on Brexit has had the effect of bringing those voters to his side. Well played Mr Marxist, well played.

Soldato
Regarding Dianne Abbott — This is a good read *link removed*

Just realised there's quite a lot of swearing in that link. Search 'we need to talk about Diane Abbott'.

That's not to excuse some of the more outlandish things she's come out with, or the fact that she couldn't interview herself out of a paper bag, but there's a lot more to her than just the media bashing we've all seen recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom