Destiny 2... It's a coming!

Soldato
What is it the you found to show or be different exactly with the very small game play clip in Anthem that Destiny 2 doesn't address? Just curious :)

Mainly a seamless world. Destiny is just a series of individual discrete levels. The social space is poop. Matchmaking is poop. The whole experience feels very disjointed because of the lack of connectedness.

In Anthem demo they go from social to open roam to instance seamlessly. Same as The Division....kinda expect that as the standard now.

I'm not commenting on Anthem otherwise, game may be cack, but the open world looks decent. Destiny 2 is looking old before it launches.

Associate
I have to agree with the open world side of things, that would make Destiny such a better game having a seamless transition from social areas to open world.

Do wonder if there are any technical reason why this isn't the case or just simply couldn't be bothered :/ as you said The Division seemed to be able to do it just fine.

Associate
I do remember Bungie saying that a lot of the loading issues and vault space was to do with the last gen consoles not being able to handle it, but it seems Destiny 2 still isn't quite as open world and seamless loading as other games, maybe to do with the scale of the worlds/planets that they have made for Destiny 2 who knows, hopefully later tonight we see some more of if and can go from there :)

Soldato
It's not the visuals that interest me, it's that the gameplay on show basically answers every major criticism I have of Destiny, which Destiny 2 appears to not be addressing. I've put something like 1400 hours into Destiny, I was hoping for something new but so far it is very, very disappointing.

The gameplay?? Anthem trailer showed extremely basic gameplay, how on earth could it have answered 'every criticism' you've had of Destiny. This is getting insane. You've played 1400 hours of Destiny yet you think this basic gameplay footage of Anthem has trumped it. There was nothing dynamic about the footage, the player literally just stood there using basic special missile attacks at enemies that didn't move and died in 1 hit. What the hell. I get that these games have a modicum of debate around them when being compared, but for god's sake man.

There was nothing open-ended about the footage either, in fact it looked just as linear as Destiny 1's worlds did.

From social space to open world seamlessly, please link the time that you saw that in the trailer, cos I saw a cutscene between the pre-rendered cutscene in the social space and the 'open' world gameplay footage that was decidedly linear.

Honestly, everyone is getting absolutely suckered in by a vertical slice made specifically for E3.

Associate
That is one side of things the would worry me about a newcomer to a game like Destiny and The Division, is that it has taken Bungie this long to hopefully of ironed out all the issues from Destiny 1 and ubisoft are still trying with The Division, guess you have to think Anthem could be as bad as Destiny 1 at launch....

Soldato
The gameplay?? Anthem trailer showed extremely basic gameplay, how on earth could it have answered 'every criticism' you've had of Destiny. This is getting insane. You've played 1400 hours of Destiny yet you think this basic gameplay footage of Anthem has trumped it. There was nothing dynamic about the footage, the player literally just stood there using basic special missile attacks at enemies that didn't move and died in 1 hit. What the hell. I get that these games have a modicum of debate around them when being compared, but for god's sake man.

There was nothing open-ended about the footage either, in fact it looked just as linear as Destiny 1's worlds did.

From social space to open world seamlessly, please link the time that you saw that in the trailer, cos I saw a cutscene between the pre-rendered cutscene in the social space and the 'open' world gameplay footage that was decidedly linear.

Honestly, everyone is getting absolutely suckered in by a vertical slice made specifically for E3.

I don't have a lot of criticisms of Destiny. My major complaint is the lack of coherence in the world and the disjointed experience it creates. The Anthem trailer clearly shows a social space, then they jump off and fly around a bit, they have a few mission areas they come across, and then go straight into an instance, all seamlessly. Yes it's early footage but it shows the intent.

Destiny 2 trailers so far show the same director and ship matchmaking screen as D1, which is frankly crap for 2017.

Soldato
OP
Activision and Bungie have announced Destiny 2 is coming out two days earlier than first revealed. The shared-world shooter will now launch 6th September 2017 on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The PC version comes out on 24th October, Activision confirmed. The open console beta begins on 21st July, with a PC beta to follow late August.

Source

I can live with a month a half delay.

Soldato
Yeah I expected it to be a lot longer but that's not to bad, just need to see if it's any good.

Zero point in comparing to anthem, we should all realise by now that what gets shown and what the end product is can be very different.

Associate
Sods law I'm away for almost the whole console Beta, oh well. To be honest, that will work out quite well though. PC beta end of August, PS4 standard edition for a month or so, then swap to PC on launch

Associate
Soldato
Wow nice :)

Just got my key for destiny 2 and redeemed it. Nvidia are doing a promotion on 1080's and 1080ti's purchased so I tried my luck and they gave me one :) I bought my card in May so was way out of timeframe haha

Soldato
60+fps is a massive game changer. There's a reason most of the major developers have embraced it for their console games. D2 has been getting a lot of flack lately because it is the last major console shooter to be 30fps. Not a problem for us. :D

Caporegime
Aren't most console games still 30 fps though? Most of the 60 fps ones seem to be remastered versions.

But yeah 60 fps is far nicer than 30 fps especially for shooters, just wish the new consoles would prioritize 60 fps over 4k.

Soldato
First bit of PC footage coming out. Nvidia sauce, so it's very slow and showcasey but at least it's something to look at.

giphy.gif

looks great that.

Back
Top Bottom