Tower block fire - london

Caporegime
Do you like to moan for the sake of it? If there's too much then it'll be handed out to local charitys in the local area, understand that.

How on earth is the above moaning? It was relevant advice, potentially both saving someone a journey and saving the council that has already been swamped with stuff from having to deal with even more. Perhaps you should drop the bad attitude.

Soldato
How on earth is the above moaning? It was relevant advice, potentially both saving someone a journey and saving the council that has already been swamped with stuff from having to deal with even more. Perhaps you should drop the bad attitude.

You picked my comment up did you not? I didn't ask for advice. Anything is better to support than nothing, which I said. These people have lost everything, hence me saying it can be handed out locally. Attitude? No, I think you should be watching your own. Any further discussion then FCD.

Caporegime
You picked my comment up did you not? I didn't ask for advice. Anything is better to support than nothing, which I said. These people have lost everything, hence me saying it can be handed out locally. Attitude? No, I think you should watching your own.

Yes I picked up your comment and offered some helpful/relevant advice whether it was asked for or not isn't really relevant... I really don't understand the angry reply or bad attitude in response and seemingly neither did the other poster who commented above. I'm not even sure what you mean by "I think you should watching your own."???

Soldato
Are you at ground zero? or just reading websites? What I said was anything that could help great, not just clothes. That said they could be sent out locally to charities anyway. So your point? No attitude here, you trying to pick up on something that's not there.

Let's keep on track now

Any issues with moderation, please use the FCD

Caporegime
Are you at ground zero? or just reading websites? What I said was anything that could help great, not just clothes. That said they could be sent out locally to charities anyway. So your point? No attitude here, you trying to pick up on something that's not there.

Any issues with moderation, please use the FCD

you're asking me questions after editing your own post and deleting my reply? I really don't see what on earth your issue is here?

Caporegime
@Wizzfizz if they don't need any supplies my friend has just told me there's been another big fire in Walthamstow high street

Few families have had to be evacuated from above the shops that are on fire.

Probably going to be in need of similar things.

Soldato
If you're going to think that far ahead, you'd be better off installing a proper fire suppression/sprinkler system. How are you going to the old, kids or disabled people safely down a rope? Do you know how big a rope you'd need to get down 20 floors?

Obviously. That's why i said it seems like a cheap(ish) option to install as an absolute last chance saloon scenario where there might be a handful (but we hope not) of people stuck inside for whatever reason.

A cheap option that give them a better chance of survival than jumping.

Main reason I bought it up was due to seeing anchor points above windows in various hotels/ old offices in London.

Soldato
I don't think residents should have to learn abseiling and parachuting if they are unfortunate enough to live in one of these tower blocks. Installing sprinkler systems, having fire alarms that work, not cladding the buildings in flammable materials (allegedly!) and generally not cost cutting on safety should be the main priority.

Soldato
What an absolute debacle with significant loss of life. Heads should roll, inept housing ministers for starters for sitting on and/or burying reports and recommendations. Utter scandal.

Soldato
I hope with the building being old it wasnt full of asbestos.
The asbestos was removed as part of the renovation, which almost certainly contributed to severity of the fire (it's coming when renovating buildings to remove asbestos fireproofing and buff up the fire suppression to compensate, and from reports the suppression wasn't active here).

Soldato
Well it didn't take long for the politicians favourite meaningless phrase to be uttered, this time by our less than strong and stable prime minister 'Lessons will be learnt.'
Which in effect means an inquiry will be held and a report with many recommendations submitted to the government who will tell us that this reports need a detailed inspection before any recommendations can be implemented. Giving the lobbyists plenty of time to convince the politicians that the recommendations, though commendable, are really unnecessary and prohibitively expensive and we might see some minor implementation of some lesser recommendations and a lot of tinkering or adjustment with the main ones to be ineffectual until we have another major incident and the cycle repeats itself with the words 'lessons will be learnt.'
Cynical or what?

Soldato
Bit late for that I'm afraid considering how long the residence have been complaining. It needs to be more hardline in looking at those who were totally ignoring everything they were told. Including the PM, who had the report for god knows how long. They also have no idea how to "learn their lesson" since a smaller fire (there?) a few years ago killed a few.

Caporegime
If heads do not roll for this catastrophe, if people are not prosecuted or jailed as a result of power, wealth or privilege then I would not be surprised if there is a riot.

Caporegime
If heads do not roll for this catastrophe, if people are not prosecuted or jailed as a result of power, wealth or privilege then I would not be surprised if there is a riot.

nah a riot requires anger, by the time all the inquests have finished and determined that lessons must be learned but no one is criminally negligent this will be a distant forgotten news piece no one cares about as its cold and winter.

Caporegime
nah a riot requires anger, by the time all the inquests have finished and determined that lessons must be learned but no one is criminally negligent this will be a distant forgotten news piece no one cares about as its cold and winter.

Yeah, riots tend to happen fairly quickly in response to whatever initially happened, riots we saw in 2011 happened before much information came about and before investigation or trial.

Soldato
Well it didn't take long for the politicians favourite meaningless phrase to be uttered, this time by our less than strong and stable prime minister 'Lessons will be learnt.'
Which in effect means an inquiry will be held and a report with many recommendations submitted to the government who will tell us that this reports need a detailed inspection before any recommendations can be implemented. Giving the lobbyists plenty of time to convince the politicians that the recommendations, though commendable, are really unnecessary and prohibitively expensive and we might see some minor implementation of some lesser recommendations and a lot of tinkering or adjustment with the main ones to be ineffectual until we have another major incident and the cycle repeats itself with the words 'lessons will be learnt.'
Cynical or what?
A reality I'm afraid. Lessons have yet to be READ from the 2009 Lakanal House fire.

Soldato
if it got to the point were you need oxygen tanks and fireproof kit to go down the stairs then I think I'd rather abseil... not to mention a climbing rope and a few harnesses are much easier to store and have a dual recreational use... (I've got some a few ft away from me at the moment)

You'd rather abseil from 10-20 floors up, though flames and smoke, then walk down smoke filled stairs in fireproof suits with an air supply? Anyway, this is all silly speculation, we might as well ask for unicorns to magic people out of the building. It's pretty straightforward how you protect people in building fires, and that's to build them properly and put sprinklers/alarms in. We know this, and the outcome of this fire would have been very different if there was a working sprinkler system and none of that cladding on the outside.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom