• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Freesync will be coming to TV's shortly, it's the last tick-box in my 4K upgrade checklist. It's a factor in my decision.

I cannot see TV manufacturers going with GSync. I'd say there's a good chance the Xbox One X going FS is the decisive nail in the coffin for GSync.

Its not really. Gsync is placed as a premium tier product,by nvidia, and with all the issues AMD has had as of late with Freesync not activating (some of course due to Microsofts creator update) it is going to take a while before there is even a slight chance that people will see them technically as the equals they are (freesync/gsync). There is also the fact that many monitor's freesync implementations are done really horrible, just take a long at the samsung CF791 or the asus mx34vq which are both already premium monitors(and i have owned the asus). Issues such as this is not AMDs fault but more a consequence of going with an open standard with no control over the finished products. There is also the fact that every time a company gets to slap some sort of gaming feature print on the box the price goes up no matter the initial cost to the developer of the product. The Gaming tag is like a premium tag this days except in reality its really not.

Soldato
Its not really. Gsync is placed as a premium tier product,by nvidia, and with all the issues AMD has had as of late with Freesync not activating (some of course due to Microsofts creator update) it is going to take a while before there is even a slight chance that people will see them technically as the equals they are (freesync/gsync). There is also the fact that many monitor's freesync implementations are done really horrible, just take a long at the samsung CF791 or the asus mx34vq which are both already premium monitors(and i have owned the asus). Issues such as this is not AMDs fault but more a consequence of going with an open standard with no control over the finished products. There is also the fact that every time a company gets to slap some sort of gaming feature print on the box the price goes up no matter the initial cost to the developer of the product. The Gaming tag is like a premium tag this days except in reality its really not.

Is GSync coming to TVs? That's all I really care about. I have an expensive high gamut monitor that has neither tech so I'm not bothered about that.

As far as I'm aware it's Freesync that is being adopted by TV manufacturers. I'm patient and plan my big purchases based on information like this!

Permabanned
Though improving over its predecessor GCN just ended up as wrong kind game changer...
After AMD completely trouncing Fermi in power efficiency GCN somehow got AMD completely stuck in basically same power efficiency, while Nvidia kept advancing.
Kepler fixing Fermi's flaws, Maxwell then using tiled rendering to help offer about whole generation's performance advance at same manufacturing node and Pascal getting major benefit from new node...

Was it management's decisions or lack of development resources or what, but in the end GCN gave Nvidia its current lead.

We don't know all the intricacies but from what we do know it seems they did need to clean house in the upper management section which they did. Along with that I wonder how much AMD's money woes over the last few years attributed to GCN not keeping up with the competition, The focus has been on creating and developing Zen, Now that Ryzen's here and I'd guess doing fairly well we should see Radeon improving their position over the next few years. My experience with GCN which has included the 7850, 7950, 265, 290x and Fury pro has been a positive one. When you look at all the factors that can be attributed to AMD struggling over the last half a decade GCN's actually done them proud.

Permabanned
With how these things work there's probably about 35 nda's in place before they get to the nda about the nda of when it will finally release. Wouldn't surprise me if asking does the card come in a cardboard box is also under nda.

Funnily enough there was rumour about the box having RGB lighting a few months back but no confirmation.

Associate
The problem is we hit peak hype quite some time ago, and now it's turned to frustration. It's generally not good to frustrate and annoy your customers, because then they jump ship to a competitor who hasn't annoyed them. Look at the number of people that jumped ship to green when FE was released and RX was no where to be seen. Or the T-shirt reveal. Or the reddit AMA that told us little to nothing. Or the "Poor Volta" ads.

There's only so long you can keep your loyal customers on the hook before they are no longer loyal or your customers, and I think AMD is well past that point now. They need to put up or shut up, and I think if Vega is below par or expensive, there will be a lot of AMD love that turns to hate. You let your customers down too often, and they lose any brand loyalty.
similar sentiments.. should have gone ahead with half-baked drivers.. vega looks good on paper there are many enthusiasts who value theoretical performance over real-world metrics.. stuff like that gets unlocked over a period of time

Associate
I don`t know if I am in the minority here, but the Vega FE cards seem to be something AMD should have never released. Even with all the "unoptimized" gaming drivers it seems odd that it`s barely 15-20% faster than a Fury X considering its specs. I`m still not convinced that the RX Vega GPU`s can deliver a substantial imrpvement over what`s been shown so far with the FE. I for one hope they are sandbagging & they will come out with something amazing. Maybe it will have more SP`s like the rumoured 6144 from last year, actual 4 stacks of HBM with 1Tb/s bandwidth. One can only dream I suppose, but in all seriousness we need a a market disruptor from them just to shake things up like thei CPU`s have done.

Associate
me thinks the blind-test was more to prove the consistency of vega at a lower average fps...
so prolly the nvidia sys had a 70 fps avg with high dispersion
while the vega was working at 50+/-1 fps
[^ is just an analogy using hypothetical numbers]

i think thats how the amd team wants to position .. nothing wrong with that strategy

Permabanned
The open standard is vesa adaptive sync, if the box has Freesync on it then it has been approved by AMD

If it has free sync on it it means it's freesync capable. Nothing to do with AMD's approval. Where did you get that?

Im well aware of that but the freesync badge means little more than "we plugged it in and sorta worked". Basically the product has been on a trip to AMD and back and nothing more.

From what I understand Freesync 2 is the version where AMD have taken control of the use of the name and put conditions such as having a good working range and LFC on it's use, They have no control over the use of the original Freesync branding. If it turn's out I'm wrong I'd appreciate a source to read up on it and re-educate myself.

Permabanned
I have to hang my hat up on this one, from what I'm seeing & reading all over the place Vega will be a bit too hot, much too hungry and way too late to the party. All this blind testing shenanigans tells me is that it's not quite good enough to not blind test.

I've done really, really well putting my 290 reference under a decent AIO and over the years it's become literally half the card in temps and held its ground or progressed performance wise while being totally rock solid stable and hassle free.

I might get Vega (reference) to shove an AIO on and keep going on 1440p with a better experience until we see Navi but it will want to be priced right. Like 10% under an AIB 1080.

Associate
To be fair.. I don't think they doing this solely for RX Vega vs Nvidia GPU but also showing Freesync vs Gsync

AMD need to advertise Freesync and what a better way than sitting down people and saying can you tell a difference? Yet this Gsync Monitor cost X amount more.

That's how I seeing this testing! Its a bigger picture.

^^^This!

the way i see it, is that Vega isnt performing as good as they'd hoped. So they're playing on the fact Freesync is considerably cheaper than G-sync yet during gaming you cant tell the difference.

i just hope im wrong

Soldato
From what I understand Freesync 2 is the version where AMD have taken control of the use of the name and put conditions such as having a good working range and LFC on it's use, They have no control over the use of the original Freesync branding. If it turn's out I'm wrong I'd appreciate a source to read up on it and re-educate myself.
Not seen that any where. AFAIK Freesync is just the driver and Freesync 2 is almost like the original other than having HDR support and trying to eliminate some latency by giving AMD more control over stuff rather than having a 2 way handshake. Something about making the monitor do as less work as possible which will be through the drivers aka Freesync 2. I don't see anywhere which suggests AMD have a standard or manufacturers have to get AMDs approval.
Won't it actually say Freesync 2 on it aswell though? It would get mighty confusing if it said freesync and people may think its got HDR support too.

Soldato
Not seen that any where. AFAIK Freesync is just the driver and Freesync 2 is almost like the original other than having HDR support and trying to eliminate some latency by giving AMD more control over stuff rather than having a 2 way handshake. Something about making the monitor do as less work as possible which will be through the drivers aka Freesync 2. I don't see anywhere which suggests AMD have a standard or manufacturers have to get AMDs approval.
Won't it actually say Freesync 2 on it aswell though? It would get mighty confusing if it said freesync and people may think its got HDR support too.

Freesync 2 is supposed to have a more rigorous test for approval by AMD.

The HDR stuff moves all tone mapping to the GPU end and out of the monitor. The monitor and GPU handshake, with the monitor telling the GPU its capabilities, the GPU then tone maps down to the format the monitor requested requiring no further tone mapping on the monitors end.

With current HDR setups, the signal needs tone mapping after entering the monitor as the tone mapping of the signal is often out of range of the monitors capabilities. But GPU's already perform tone mapping before sending a signal, so instead of double tone mapping occurring, it all just happens in the GPU with the requested Tone map from the monitor/display.

Soldato
Can you link me where i can read this stuff about AMD needing to approve i'm interested because it's what let Freesync down. Letting monitor manufacturers have control too much.

Associate
Freesync will be coming to TV's shortly, it's the last tick-box in my 4K upgrade checklist. It's a factor in my decision.

I cannot see TV manufacturers going with GSync. I'd say there's a good chance the Xbox One X going FS is the decisive nail in the coffin for GSync.

I didn't say FS was never a factor in the potential buyers, I said, with this type of marketing they are mainly targeting people who are interested in FS, and you are one of them. FS should be marketed as the cherry on the top, the nice extra, not as the main reason of purchase.

Soldato
I really hope that you are right regarding Freesync 2 and before people start yelling about the control being the same as gsync i would like to point out that anyone is still completely free to just brand their screen adaptive sync ready and be supported where as that is really not an option with gsync.

Associate
I don`t know if I am in the minority here, but the Vega FE cards seem to be something AMD should have never released. Even with all the "unoptimized" gaming drivers it seems odd that it`s barely 15-20% faster than a Fury X considering its specs. I`m still not convinced that the RX Vega GPU`s can deliver a substantial imrpvement over what`s been shown so far with the FE. I for one hope they are sandbagging & they will come out with something amazing. Maybe it will have more SP`s like the rumoured 6144 from last year, actual 4 stacks of HBM with 1Tb/s bandwidth. One can only dream I suppose, but in all seriousness we need a a market disruptor from them just to shake things up like thei CPU`s have done.

I think AMD put too much trust on people to understand its not a gaming card. Vega FE site is under "pro.radeon" but for some Godly reason everybody needs to act that its gaming cards. For some content creation its pretty sweet deal http://www.tomshardware.de/vega-ben...ngsaufnahme-gaming,testberichte-242375-6.html
If someone bought it for gaming then they have too much free money to drop 1k without understanding what the card is for. VegaRX is not going to blow the bank but it should be a lot better than FuryX and faster than VegaFE.
What I understand Furys biggest problem was its shaders are not fully utilaised when gaming. There should be optimaisation in Vegas front end and that should already make a difference. Looking clock for clock fury vs fega its clear there is no help from this or VegaFE drivers are not utilising it.

Soldato
I think AMD put too much trust on people to understand its not a gaming card. Vega FE site is under "pro.radeon" but for some Godly reason everybody needs to act that its gaming cards. For some content creation its pretty sweet deal http://www.tomshardware.de/vega-ben...ngsaufnahme-gaming,testberichte-242375-6.html
If someone bought it for gaming then they have too much free money to drop 1k without understanding what the card is for. VegaRX is not going to blow the bank but it should be a lot better than FuryX and faster than VegaFE.
What I understand Furys biggest problem was its shaders are not fully utilaised when gaming. There should be optimaisation in Vegas front end and that should already make a difference. Looking clock for clock fury vs fega its clear there is no help from this or VegaFE drivers are not utilising it.

But that happened because AMD did not get the message across. AMD had no RX to give to reviewers, yet after all the hype everyone was desperate for info, so websites reviewed FE, because that's all there was available. The message sent is that FE is poor for gaming, and that if the FE is poor, then so is the RX, with nothing said in their defence from AMD. AMD have made a lot of mistakes with Vega's PR, and each time they do, they've done little to nothing to deal with those mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom