Summer Transfer Window 2017/18 - Rumours & Signings

Don
OP
I have no worries about his effort and willingness to defend - even in the number 9 role he's often our best defender or at least makes plenty of tackles & interceptions. As a number 10 in a 4-2-3-1 then I have no problem with Firmino but if we're going to play a 4-3-3 for the most part, which I think we will, then I'm not sure about Firmino in midfield. Coutinho's proven he can play in midfield in a 4-3-3 during the 13/14 season.

The obvious other problem with Firmino in midfield is he's your first choice centre forward too. Yes Sturridge is a great alternative but how sure can we be that he'll be fit when he's needed.

Man of Honour
Sounds like Liverpool are definitely trying to sign Lemar then...

I think we should be looking for some sort of quality winger, our squad looks very strong and we have good cover but we still don't have a real top quality wide player. Rashford and Martial are both wide forwards when they play that position. Maybe Mourinho thinks that's enough though...

The fact we'll have Zlatan to come in around Christmas will be a big boost as well. Still has a lot to offer as long as the injury hasn't caused any issues.

I suspect our business is done but we shall see. As Baz said earlier, this could be a chaotic end to the transfer window as plenty of big teams clearly need to strengthen.

Caporegime
If we're going this hard for Lemar it's got to be in anticipation of a larger bid and selling Coutinho, even if they're not in competition for the same spot in the team.

Would've expected us to show more interested earlier in the transfer window if it wasn't just going to be a reaction purchase.

Don
OP
As I said earlier, it's possible (although everybody reporting the bid are maintaining that Coutinho is still not leaving) but it could simply be a change of focus on our own transfers.

For example we were in for Keita for a similar amount earlier in the summer (when Lallana wasn't injured) - had that deal happened then Coutinho is probably seen 80% as a forward and 20% as a midfielder. Without signing Keita (or another midfielder) and Lallana being out for a few months, Coutinho suddenly becomes needed in midfield much more and therefore potentially leaves you short in attack.

Like I said to Mark, if we end up signing a forward and a midfielder then it's looking more like Coutinho could well be off.

Caporegime
Regardless of what happens, I hope we're not waiting until the last minute to sign a defender in the hope Southampton cave. That should still be our priority above all other positions, and it might be behind closed doors, but I'm starting to get worried now :o

Don
OP
Liverpool have signed Keita......next summer!

Didn't see that coming but it's being reported that we've agreed a deal with Red Bull and Ketia is having his medical now and will complete the move next summer. It's reported that we've paid more than his release clause (which kicks in next summer) so that we definitely get him.

Don
OP
Undercover medical - supposedly it took place in Wilmslow.

**** knows what this means re Coutinho. Ideal scenario would be to sign Lemar and agree a deal with Barca for next summer.

Don
OP
I suspect it was just a random sighting. Nobody that has itk in their name should be listened to and he doesn't say he was being signed for next season which anybody with inside information would have known.
Why would he have a medical now if he's joining next summer? Surely they'd want it closer to the time?
Because although he won't actually join next summer, we're signing him now. You're not going to sign a player and then have the medical afterwards. Obviously it's not ideal to commit £50m+ on a player 12 months in advance but we obviously are so desperate to land him that we're willing to take that chance and pay a premium on top of his release clause to make sure nobody else can sneak in and pinch him.

Don
OP
Good we get him but imo it's daft we agreed to loan him back, a player and position we need now yet we put if off? Daft logic
Huh? :confused:

I think you've misunderstood the situation. Leipzig have point blank refused to sell him this summer, even after we were willing to pay well in excess of his release clause which kicks in next summer. Leipzig know Keita isn't signing a new deal and that they're going to lose him next summer anyway and we obviously felt that come next summer there will be huge competition to sign him. All that's happened is we've agreed a deal to sign him next summer - we guarantee that we get our man and Leipzig get a small premium on top of the fee they would have sold him for next summer anyway.

We've not put anything off. We've just accepted that there's no possibility of getting him now and put a deal in place to make it certain that we get him next year.

Soldato
Huh? :confused:

I think you've misunderstood the situation. Leipzig have point blank refused to sell him this summer, even after we were willing to pay well in excess of his release clause which kicks in next summer. Leipzig know Keita isn't signing a new deal and that they're going to lose him next summer anyway and we obviously felt that come next summer there will be huge competition to sign him. All that's happened is we've agreed a deal to sign him next summer - we guarantee that we get our man and Leipzig get a small premium on top of the fee they would have sold him for next summer anyway.

We've not put anything off. We've just accepted that there's no possibility of getting him now and put a deal in place to make it certain that we get him next year.
So we are in essence giving them a loan, I get your points I do.

I just don't agree with how we're having to do the deal. Has any one credible to the club on this side confirmed if the Lemar / dijk rumours that have picked up as likely to happen? *

Back
Top Bottom