Summer Transfer Window 2017/18 - Rumours & Signings

Man of Honour
If Coutinho was going (I'm not saying he is), Liverpool would be wise to appear adamant he's not or it would force up the transfer fee a lot more (for Lemar).

Having just spent a potential £140m on Dembele, I'm not sure Barca will be that bothered now.

Soldato
Thinking about the keita deal, I do hope we get some players in for this moment, if Lemar or even dijk stuff is true it would make a great window for business if not we'll I hope we re-try for people in January

Soldato
If Coutinho was going (I'm not saying he is), Liverpool would be wise to appear adamant he's not or it would force up the transfer fee a lot more.

Having just spent a potential £140m on Dembele, I'm not sure Barca will be that bothered now.
There is always the issue of experience, I doubt Coutinho would get concerned about the size of Barca, but being so young Dembele might get over awed

Would be amazing to see them spend best part of £250m on those two alone though (give or take), given they will probably play in the same area of the pitch

Man of Honour
Going to 80m for Lemar apparently! Kid best be good!

I have to be honest....I dont understand the Lemar offer. 80m? I mean...where and when is he going to play? Who exactly would we drop , given their current forms, to make way for Lemar? (and thats without factoring in Coutinho and/or Lallana to come back). You cant spend 80m on someone to be on the bench, I just dont see where he fits in.

Caporegime
I have to be honest....I dont understand the Lemar offer. 80m? I mean...where and when is he going to play? Who exactly would we drop , given their current forms, to make way for Lemar? (and thats without factoring in Coutinho and/or Lallana to come back). You cant spend 80m on someone to be on the bench, I just dont see where he fits in.
Considering the league cup, FA cup League itself and the champions league having that many options can only be a good thing. Tiredness and injuries all play a part and having such quality options on the bench isn't a bad thing.

Man of Honour
Considering the league cup, FA cup League itself and the champions league having that many options can only be a good thing. Tiredness and injuries all play a part and having such quality options on the bench isn't a bad thing.

Oh dont get me wrong, more options is always good, just seems odd though to spend as much as 80m for that 80m player to be just an option. In my head (perhaps wrongly) , someone who costs as much as 80m should be the first choice for a position rather than just "another" choice.

Don
OP
But you can still cancel the deal right? Like we pulled out of the Ljajic deal?

It's very likely that there will be some sort of break clauses in the deal but I'm sure Liverpool would have to pay some sort of penalty fee if they didn't go through with the deal.

They will almost certainly carry out another medical next summer to make sure something new has popped up but given that they'll be penalised if they pull out, it makes perfect sense to carry out a medical now before agreeing to any terms.
So we are in essence giving them a loan, I get your points I do.

I just don't agree with how we're having to do the deal. Has any one credible to the club on this side confirmed if the Lemar / dijk rumours that have picked up as likely to happen? *

Giving them a loan would suggest that we have a choice in the matter, we don't. We cannot sign him this summer as they're point blank refusing to sell him to us now. We have a choice of signing him now but him not joining until next summer or waiting until next summer and trying to sign him then, risking other sides coming in.

Caporegime
Yeah, we need two quality players in every postion to be able to compete.

I said last Christmas and the Christmas before we would either need to spend big or Klopp would have to change his entire philosophy to suit the intensity of English football or we'll keep getting burnt out half way through the season. Seems the owners are backing him and we're going to spend :)

Man of Honour
It's very likely that there will be some sort of break clauses in the deal but I'm sure Liverpool would have to pay some sort of penalty fee if they didn't go through with the deal.

They will almost certainly carry out another medical next summer to make sure something new has popped up but given that they'll be penalised if they pull out, it makes perfect sense to carry out a medical now before agreeing to any terms.

Yeah, some sort of 2nd medical clause I would imagine is a given, I wonder if there is also a clause preventing him from playing against us in the , unlikely, event of Liverpool encountering Leipzig in the CL this season

Don
OP
Yeah, some sort of 2nd medical clause I would imagine is a given, I wonder if there is also a clause preventing him from playing against us in the , unlikely, event of Liverpool encountering Leipzig in the CL this season
Any clause preventing him from playing against us would be illegal. Chelsea reportedly had a clause in Courtois's loan agreement with Atletico and when they drew each other in the CL Chelsea were forced to let him play.

edit: Just double checking and the Courtois clause supposedly forced Atletico to pay Chelsea an additional fee if he played vs them but still, UEFA said it couldn't be enforced.

Man of Honour
Any clause preventing him from playing against us would be illegal. Chelsea reportedly had a clause in Courtois's loan agreement with Atletico and when they drew each other in the CL Chelsea were forced to let him play.

Oh ! I didnt realise it was illegal, thought it was quite a common thing to do. Conflict of interests and all that. Not that it matters too much, the chances of the two teams meeting in this CL is pretty remote

Don
OP
Oh ! I didnt realise it was illegal, thought it was quite a common thing to do. Conflict of interests and all that. Not that it matters too much, the chances of the two teams meeting in this CL is pretty remote
I believe this (re loans) only applies to UEFA and the CL. Within the Premier League it's standard practise that any player on loan can't play vs their parent club. The rule actually came about when Lua Lua scored against Newcastle when on loan from them, practically securing Liverpool's place in the CL at Newcastle's expense.

This isn't a loan deal though and even within the PL it would be against the rules to influence the selection of another sides' players.

Man of Honour
I believe this (re loans) only applies to UEFA and the CL. Within the Premier League it's standard practise that any player on loan can't play vs their parent club. The rule actually came about when Lua Lua scored against Newcastle when on loan from them, practically securing Liverpool's place in the CL at Newcastle's expense.

This isn't a loan deal though and even within the PL it would be against the rules to influence the selection of another sides' players.

Maybe he will be "ill" in the event of a match occurring ;)

Back
Top Bottom