Summer Transfer Window 2017/18 - Rumours & Signings

Don
OP
At the end of last season when we were linked with him I said I didn't mind the prospect of signing Ox but £35m was far too much. Given the way the window has gone, £35m no longer looks that expensive.

I wonder whether Lemar is seen as an alternative to Ox. As of a couple of days ago it was reported that we were in for Ox but that Arsenal didn't want to sell him to us as they saw us as more of a direct rival than Chelsea (I have no idea if that's a compliment or insult). It's only since Arsenal reportedly ruled out selling Ox to us that we've now suddenly moved onto Lemar - I've only seen him play wide but other people are saying he could play in a central attacking midfield role.

Maybe he will be "ill" in the event of a match occurring ;)
Or better still, he plays and scores 2 own goals.

Associate
I believe this (re loans) only applies to UEFA and the CL. Within the Premier League it's standard practise that any player on loan can't play vs their parent club. The rule actually came about when Lua Lua scored against Newcastle when on loan from them, practically securing Liverpool's place in the CL at Newcastle's expense.

This isn't a loan deal though and even within the PL it would be against the rules to influence the selection of another sides' players.
Actually that rule was very quickly changed retrospectively on the Sunday after David Moyes accidentally revealed in interview that there was an agreement between Everton and Man Utd that Tim Howard wouldn't play when they met at Goodison even though he was then fully an Everton player. This was illegal when the match was played but the PL ruling was quickly altered the next day.

Don
OP
Actually that rule was very quickly changed retrospectively on the Sunday after David Moyes accidentally revealed in interview that there was an agreement between Everton and Man Utd that Tim Howard wouldn't play when they met at Goodison even though he was then fully an Everton player. This was illegal when the match was played but the PL ruling was quickly altered the next day.

Really? I always thought it was linked to Lua Lua and Newcastle.

edit: Quickly searching I found this on the Everton/Howard situation:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/may/11/newsstory.sport8

It's reporting that as part of Howard's sale (rather than loan) to Everton, Utd wanted to put a clause in that prevented him from playing against them but supposedly they were talked out of it as it was illegal. Instead a gentleman's agreement was reached and Howard didn't play.

Everton bending over for Utd? Nothing new there.

Soldato
At the end of last season when we were linked with him I said I didn't mind the prospect of signing Ox but £35m was far too much. Given the way the window has gone, £35m no longer looks that expensive.

I wonder whether Lemar is seen as an alternative to Ox. As of a couple of days ago it was reported that we were in for Ox but that Arsenal didn't want to sell him to us as they saw us as more of a direct rival than Chelsea (I have no idea if that's a compliment or insult). It's only since Arsenal reportedly ruled out selling Ox to us that we've now suddenly moved onto Lemar - I've only seen him play wide but other people are saying he could play in a central attacking midfield role.

Or better still, he plays and scores 2 own goals.
Been reading stuff but from brief reading Monaco have stated no more players will be allowed to leave, us chasing Lemar now seems odd, maybe it's reaction to ox going to Chelsea who knows but strikes me as fairy tale just so FSG can say we tried style of bid.

Soldato
Chelsea have agreed fee for ox apparently
Whats he considered these days, a winger / forward or a wingback - £35m is a waste imo, he is ok but so inconsistant its a bit meh surely?

Hazard/ Willian/ Pedro will get the majority of the forward playing time I would have thought (unless Hazard's injury has just been re-assessed, but havent seen anything of this)
I know they have a lot of games this season, just seems like gettting anyone in they can rather than actually adding quality

Been reading stuff but from brief reading Monaco have stated no more players will be allowed to leave, us chasing Lemar now seems odd, maybe it's reaction to ox going to Chelsea who knows but strikes me as fairy tale just so FSG can say we tried style of bid.

Seen this in regards to Man Utd going for same player (instead of Perisic) - certainly seems like a reasonable story given how much Monaco have made this summer, they certainly dont need to sell

Dont recall this ever being mentioned before about Howard's move to Everton, and it would have been huge at the time surely if there was anything like this going on

Don
OP
Stories coming out of Spain are still saying that Barca expect to sign Coutinho and twitter rumours of a €170m fee (£157m) but UK press are still saying he's not for sale.
LOL :D

I do love this sort of cynicism. Maybe you're right or maybe the club feel that Monaco could be persuaded to sell if the price is right

Soldato
Stories coming out of Spain are still saying that Barca expect to sign Coutinho and twitter rumours of a €170m fee (£157m) but UK press are still saying he's not for sale.

LOL :D

I do love this sort of cynicism. Maybe you're right or maybe the club feel that Monaco could be persuaded to sell if the price is right
Least I can be super happy if we pull it off!

Regarding to countinho, we would look daft to sell after FSG statement however, if we get the players in we're linked with e.g Lemar, dijk and countinho goes for an insane fee it may cushion the blow

I worry about the further impact that though as yet again we have had to sell and other players may question the club's future

Soldato
Guliem ballague still stating all our transfer talk has no effect on countinho and not to trust catalan press as we still won't talk, meet etc.

Arsenal not having a good day ox going, Sanchez puts in a transfer request, still stuck with Wenger lol.

Wonder if Sanchez goes and to who.

Last edited:
Don
OP
Greame kelly who most people regard as trustworthy has changed his profile pic to dijk in our kit so it's sent twitter nuts over dijk again
The same Graeme Kelly claimed that VvD, Keita, Ox and Sessengon (Fulham youngster) were all 100% done around 2 months ago?

I'm not sure how he found out but 2 years ago he found out that Rodgers was being sacked and he's lived off that ever since. He's constantly been wrong and yet people still believe him!!

Soldato
The same Graeme Kelly claimed that VvD, Keita, Ox and Sessengon (Fulham youngster) were all 100% done around 2 months ago?

I'm not sure how he found out but 2 years ago he found out that Rodgers was being sacked and he's lived off that ever since. He's constantly been wrong and yet people still believe him!!
It is the same one, how people any of them is mind boggling they all just respin news off some one else put there own twist on it

Don
OP
Not a surprise if true but reportedly Monaco have ruled out selling Lemar. There's also reports that the Ox wants to move to Liverpool over Chelsea - who can blame him.

It is the same one, how people any of them is mind boggling they all just respin news off some one else put there own twist on it
I refuse to believe there are any itks around any more. Football is too big a business for morons on twitter to get genuine info.

At the very best all these so called itks get is the exact same info that the press are briefed. Take for instance the Keita news today - I actually mentioned to somebody on twitter (albeit sarcastically) that there would be news today as there wasn't the usual 10.30pm news story. After every game all the press pack will get a bit of news, no matter how small and it will break at 10.30pm that night. The fact that there was nothing last night and it being so close to deadline day, I joked that something must have been embargoed until today. A couple of big social media accounts/fake itks tweeted something about news tomorrow and now they claim they knew all about it. If they knew they'd have told the world rather that put out some cryptic **** - all they knew, at best, was a story had been embargoed.

Soldato
Not a surprise if true but reportedly Monaco have ruled out selling Lemar. There's also reports that the Ox wants to move to Liverpool over Chelsea - who can blame him.
Well... I maybe right fsg just trying to look good haha

Ox I still think would be a good rotation player the fee we'll it just average these days

Soldato
Yep the laughable bit is we offered him £180k a week to stay and he still wants **** off.

He can gladly go for all I care, £35mill if true isn't a bad price for a player in his last yr of his contract.

Would you really want a player who is staying for the money? He's unlikely to be paid any more than £180,000 at Chelsea, probably less. He's leaving Arsenal for football reasons. Chelsea are a bit weak in terms of wide players so he'll get game time and he'll be going to a team who will always compete in the league and CL. I understand you're ****** at him but he's left for a better team, as hard as that is to hear.

Don
OP
Well... I maybe right fsg just trying to look good haha

Ox I still think would be a good rotation player the fee we'll it just average these days
Because they get a far easier time bidding for a player that we don't end up signing? 99% of the **** our owners get is unjustified but when people come out with this sort of stuff it's just funny. Given all the criticism they get there is not a chance in hell that the club will openly advertise the fact they want a player that we're not going to sign because they're just going to get dogs abuse for it.

Anyway on Lemar, Paul Joyce is reporting that Monaco want closer to €100m (£92m) for him and that a cash + Origi deal is the most likely way a deal will happen.

Caporegime
Because they get a far easier time bidding for a player that we don't end up signing? 99% of the **** our owners get is unjustified but when people come out with this sort of stuff it's just funny. Given all the criticism they get there is not a chance in hell that the club will openly advertise the fact they want a player that we're not going to sign because they're just going to get dogs abuse for it.

Anyway on Lemar, Paul Joyce is reporting that Monaco want closer to €100m (£92m) for him and that a cash + Origi deal is the most likely way a deal will happen.

Prior to Solanke joining I'd say we needed Origi. Now? Not so much. If anything I'd say he's behind him now.

Back
Top Bottom