Sennheiser HD650 - The classic beauty in a grey dress Appreciation thread!

Soldato
They are more resolving and refined, so yes.

Your best bet is to get them off the rainforest and try them out yourself, though you will also need a decent headphone amp to drive them as they are 300ohm compared with the 50ohm HD599.
When you do first listen to them they will likely sound awful, muffled and dull - you have to give your brain time to adjust to the new signature, specially if your current headphones are much brighter. In my case, the first thing to come into focus was the drums, after about an hour I noticed they sounded like I was in the same room, so realistic. After that, over about another half an hour, everything else came into focus and I sat there for six hours straight listening in awe, it was a real auditory epiphany. :D

Soldato
What the HD650's like for House music if anybody is into that sort of thing

I find them pretty much perfect for all genres. You might find the bass a little light depending on what you are used to, but compare them to the Fidelio X2's, which are definitely more bass heavy and when I purchased I thought they would be good for dance music (I listen to a lot of old rave / D&B music), the bass sounded flabby to me.

Bought some, then sold, then bought some more thinking I was missing something and then sold again. :D

These are bang on and they will go low depending on your source.

The only others which I have owned which sounded nearly as good and maybe had a bit more bass hump were the AKG K712's. But sold them as well.

The only headphone out there tempting me is the Beyerdynamic Amiron, but at £500 I need to wait for a deal.

Associate
I find them pretty much perfect for all genres. You might find the bass a little light depending on what you are used to, but compare them to the Fidelio X2's, which are definitely more bass heavy and when I purchased I thought they would be good for dance music (I listen to a lot of old rave / D&B music), the bass sounded flabby to me.

Bought some, then sold, then bought some more thinking I was missing something and then sold again. :D

These are bang on and they will go low depending on your source.

The only others which I have owned which sounded nearly as good and maybe had a bit more bass hump were the AKG K712's. But sold them as well.

The only headphone out there tempting me is the Beyerdynamic Amiron, but at £500 I need to wait for a deal.
I listen to a lot of oldskool house to. The bass doesn't need to be heavy just controlled and tight but i guess that would depend on the Headphone amp your using to

Soldato
If you want fast, tight well controlled bass the HiFiMan HE400i would be a better call - the HD650 has a mid bass hump and then rolls off quite quickly, so no real sub-bass, whereas the HE400i is much flatter through the bass region and doesn't roll off until way down in the sub-bass region and being a planar magnetic headphone, the bass response is simply faster than you can get from a dynamic.

Associate
If you want fast, tight well controlled bass the HiFiMan HE400i would be a better call - the HD650 has a mid bass hump and then rolls off quite quickly, so no real sub-bass, whereas the HE400i is much flatter through the bass region and doesn't roll off until way down in the sub-bass region and being a planar magnetic headphone, the bass response is simply faster than you can get from a dynamic.
Thanks Rids ill take a look at them i do mainly listen to house music and some Deep house but Mainly 90's oldskool so bass is a must doesn't need to be heavy but nice. My RS165's to my suprise are quite good for house music which i was suprised for the mediocre price of £149. But its time to step up really and just use the RS165's for Movies and just wondering around the house and garden

Associate
Would the Schiit Magni 3 be an ok Amp for the HiFiMan HE400i Rids

Associate
Well seen a Review that was a owner of the 650 and said they was not a lot of difference. It be intresting to see more reviews when these get shipped out. The price is not really that bad but if the difference is minimal then its a big price to pay over the 650

Soldato
Not sure it would be worth getting if you have the HD650 and I am never going to sell mine - Just have to sit back and read the reviews and opinions on Head-Fi.

Maybe some time in the future :D

Man of Honour
650 (6XX) is back on the Drop: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx?irgwc=1&clickid=wdQ3s4U:Kz2cX1xzIWRab0RVUkm3Dr11VwZMzc0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=Skimbit Ltd.&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius

The 660 looks nice, but near enough exactly the same spec as the 650, even the same freq response. The only obvious difference is the 650 is 300ohm, the 660S is 150ohm. The 660s would therefore be easier to drive louder with lower powered sources, so maybe this is where the claims of better sub-bass comes from?

I wouldn't even consider "upgrading" if I already owned the 650 or 6XX Mass Drop edition.

Now if the 660S came with memory foam earpads however...

Last edited:
Associate
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom