Super Mario Kart (SNES) Time Trial Challenge

Soldato
OP
Had a little session just now and I've managed to hit 1 min 30. :)

20171016_211942.jpg

Soldato
OP
Can't we use a cycle accurate emulator like higan? It's more accurate to real snes hardware than a mini is.

Hmm, with the lack of participants we may have to allow emulators. It's just that when I searched on youtube for Mario Circuit 1 time trials to see what sort of times are possible, I saw cheats where players are racing through the dirt with DK and getting a ridiculous time, which I know isn't possible on the 'normal' version of the game. I assumed it was some hack via an emulator? I don't suspect many people on here would be that bothered to cheat anyway and it'd be good to have more people someone else playing :p so those who can only play via emulator feel free to join in.

Man of Honour
Hmm, with the lack of participants we may have to allow emulators. It's just that when I searched on youtube for Mario Circuit 1 time trials to see what sort of times are possible, I saw cheats where players are racing through the dirt with DK and getting a ridiculous time, which I know isn't possible on the 'normal' version of the game. I assumed it was some hack via an emulator? I don't suspect many people on here would be that bothered to cheat anyway and it'd be good to have more people someone else playing :p so those who can only play via emulator feel free to join in.

That's the official PAL world record for Mario Circuit 1, without any cheats. The NTSC version is 2 seconds quicker.

You can see the verified list here: https://mkwrs.com/smk/

Soldato
OP
Wtf there's no way you can go through the dirt like that, you pretty much grind to a halt!?! I'm going to try it when I play next but that just doesn't seem right to me.

Soldato
OP
I'm a noob, I never knew most of this. It seems to have added a whole new dimension to the game. Just watched Sami Cetin take on Florent Lecoanet in SMK World Championships and it's ridiculous, they are both absolute beasts.

Man of Honour
I know of it but I couldn't do half of it so gave up trying to compete. MK DS was way easier with its infinite rocket start and snaking compared to the SNES!

Soldato
OP
It's given me some inspiration anyway lol, I will keep trying to smash 1'30 on rainbow road then I can end my MK career a happy man. Iv just got a new lap record and I can edge in front of my ghost comfortably but can't maintain it for 5 laps, eventually I'll nail it.

I think I tried MK on the n64 but it just never had the same feel as the Snes version for me and I never touched another MK. I always felt this one was gameplay perfection and no racer ever equalled it for me.

Man of Honour
Cutting the track in such a blatant manner counts as a record holder? Nonsense. :rolleyes:

Just exploiting the game bugs/mechanics. In my eyes it doesn't count.

That's not how world records work :p

This reminds me of how people reacted to snaking on here when they found out it existed in Mario Kart decades after if was first discovered :p

Soldato
OP
It's just practice, switch to dk or bowser and try it :) Make sure you get the boost start by only pressing and holding accelerate between the first two lights, if you get the failed slow start you were too early. Added your time to the list, not bad your second!!!!! :p

Underboss
Looking forward to others getting involved, getting very lonely on the leaderboard atm :p

Tip 1: Use DK or Bowser if you want to even compete for a good time.
Tip 2: Get a ghost and keep racing it to shave off milliseconds.

My God is it difficult to stay focused especially when you hear the sound for final lap and you know you're on for a decent time. Here's a short clip of me just now, was racing my ghost for the 1'32''26 time listed above and was a fair bit ahead but bottled it on the last lap. I reckon I can beat 1 min 30 seconds, just require time and PATIENCE!

Good idea on the thread !

must get involved

why DK or Bowser ? is that for the mini or the original ? ;)
I used to use Koopa i think (or was it Toad)

Back
Top Bottom