Asus Prime X370-Pro Owner's thread

Associate
Associate
Those Stilt timings are good but it also depends on IMC silicon lottery and by the looks of things he actually has a pretty sample.
For example I have a dud R7 1700 and can't do the 'safe' 3200 B-die timings because of it, ymmv.

Associate
Yeah, typical Asus with doing the bare minimum with the chancelog, this time they didn't even bother.
I'm pretty much decided in never ever touching anything Asus ever again after all the issues I've had with this board, though Ryzen is probably partly to blame since it's such a new and issue ridden platform.

Soldato
Yeah, typical Asus with doing the bare minimum with the chancelog, this time they didn't even bother.
I'm pretty much decided in never ever touching anything Asus ever again after all the issues I've had with this board, though Ryzen is probably partly to blame since it's such a new and issue ridden platform.

Dunno. The only issue we have is the ram not being plug and play at rated speeds.

But then AMD weren't really a player in the enthusiast market untill Ryzen so all high speed RAM was built with Intel n mind so it makes sense that there is compatibility issues.

Got to hand it to both Asus and AMD tho in that they haven't given up on the BIOS support. 7-8 months after launch we are still getting new BIOSes.

I'm fairly happy with my Ryzen.

Associate
Given how many issues the board has had, they have to keep it up with the BIOS support.
The 08xx BIOS versions for example could brick if you tried changing P-States, it's the reason why the removed the extensive AMD CBS options in the recent versions.

I'm just annoyed that I can't even get my B-die RAM to work at rated speed after I got the cold boot bug a while ago, it just keeps failing stress testing. The kits seem to be fine, but my CPU's IMC is letting me down and the board also doesn't have a RAM Boot voltage option to help with cold boot issues.
For the most part I think the board and system is fine at 2933Mhz, but getting 3000 or higher seems to be a problem.
And I really can't cut AMD any slack, they tied the Infinity Fabric to DRAM speeds, making high speeds a must if you want to get competitive performance. They have been an afterthought in the high end for 6 years, but that's of their own making and no excuse. Even if XMP is an Intel thing, they could have done a better job with the IMC.

I'm just salty overall, maybe Zen+ will have an improved IMC so I can dump this turd R7 1700 I have.

Soldato
Don't know if any of you guys work in software development, but yeah there are lots of little signs that they are all around sloppy.

I reckon the people doing development for consumer motherboards etc must all be in a bubble in Taiwan or wherever it is, largely disconnected from modern software development practices, and pretty much flying by the seat of their pants.

Associate
@NeoVo That's a known issue with the RGB strip on the X370 Prime, some Aura/BIOS versions could kill the LEDs on the strip.
One of the ASUS guys made an utility that might be able to bring the LEDs back to life: http://www.mediafire.com/file/4cxrkx5jazw14yi/AuraFix+X370PRO.rar
Ymmv, but you can probably RMA the board if nothing works and the RGB thing is important to you.

And I'm using 3.6Ghz with 1.175v (LLC Auto) with 2933Mhz C16 right now, seems rock stable after a multitude of tests (memtest86, HCI, prime95, IBT, RealBench). I can do 3.8Ghz with 1.325v (LLC Auto), but I like 3.6Ghz with 1.175v because the temps and power consumption are really low.

You sir are awesome! that did the trick! RGB strip lighting now working! :).

I've bumped my R1700 to 3.8GHz at the same voltage; seems stable but will leave it for a couple of weeks before to see for sure.
I can probably get away with far less voltage though I was led to believe it was because I had a poor chip when in actual fact it was more than likely the bad pairing of motherboard BIOS's and DOCP timings early on.

Associate
Glad it fixed it for you!
I think a general rule of thumb is that most chips can do 3.6Ghz at <1.2v and 3.8Ghz at <1.35v. The jump from 3.6 to 3.8 is pretty steep voltage wise, and implicitly thermals and power consumption also get a lot worse.

Associate
The 08xx BIOS versions for example could brick if you tried changing P-States, it's the reason why the removed the extensive AMD CBS options in the recent versions.

This is pure guessing, I'm pretty sure they easily got fix the bug if they wanted.

My guess is this: They don't want the Prime board to get too good because then too many people would buy this board instead of the Crosshair board.

Associate
That could be it too, but P-States were bugged in those BIOS versions.
You can always enable the extensive options with the modded BIOS, but that's an 'at your own risk' kind of thing.

Soldato
New BIOS guys! Version 1201.

I thought I'd try the my ram at rated speeds of 3200Mhz and it booted to windows which is rare. I expected it to crash when I loaded BF1 and it did.

So I upped my DRAM volts to 1.45v and I was able to successfully play two rounds of BF1 at 3200Mhz for the very first time!!

I hope my ram is safe long term at 1.45v?

Associate
Updated to 1201, I think they might have finally fixed the fan controller readings (HWInfo doesn't show 0 rpm from time to time anymore).
Noticed a small performance improvement (1% aka a 1-2 points in the CPU-Z Bench and a few points extra in Cinebench), but that's about it.

Will give RAM overclocking a shot when I have time in the weekend.

Associate
New Agesa 1007 BIOS is out, but I would not recommend updating to it yet, a lot of people on other forums are encountering issues or lower memory performance with it.
Apparently the new BIOS adds 5~7ns latency to the RAM, which is not really ideal considering how bad memory latency is already with Ryzen.

Wait it out until they release 1-2 revisions on top of this one, this is typical Asus jumping the gun and releasing something without proper QA.

PS: New BIOS will also make it almost impossible to revert to an older BIOS version, because Asus...

Soldato
Well I just update my BIOS. No change in my ram.

Still cant do 3200Mhz at 1.4v with the Corsair LPX.

Is it because I am running a 1700?

At least my previous OC settings are still running just fine.

But disappointed that this new AGESA has not brought me closer to the magical 3200Mhz.

I can on occasion get to Windows at 3200Mhz but it took 1.45v and it failed a HCI mem test. (Although it was fine during two rounds of BF1)

Last edited:
Associate
Well I just update my BIOS. No change in my ram.

Still cant do 3200Mhz at 1.4v with the Corsair LPX.

Is it because I am running a 1700?
I am running a 1600 and can't run 3200 Mhz for too long before crashing. Not going to bother with further updates for a while.

I have the same ram as you.

Back
Top Bottom