**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Why would it coming from CPW change how the screen looks?

Mine should be here within the hour.

It was shown as out for delivery at 0820 this morning for what its worth.

Also its date of manufacture is 29th October

Last edited:
Associate

It was shown as our for delivery at 0820 this morning for what its worth.

It was shown as our for delivery at 0820 this morning for what its worth.

I just wondered if it was the second batch & improvements had been made. I have an order with Google but may cancel & go with CPW.

Associate
Probably doesn't come across well on camera but if that is how bad the blue tint issue is then I'm not worried. Doesn't look any worse than the 6P I'm currently using and no one made a drama out of that.

Soldato
Associate
Video above looks fine to me. I've seen worse, but only when there are two Pixel 2 XL in the shot. When there is just a single one it is hard to base the white balance. Even then, the less off device doesn't look that much worse!
All screens exhibit some form of colour shift or white balance change when looking at them off centre, just a compromise in the actual sub pixel layouts of the displays. Anyone here who's has invested any amount of time researching a new PC monitor will be aware of this!
Of course, the P2XL has a polariser too, which adds its own tint too!

V_R

V_R

Soldato
So, its here! Quick first impressions...

There is a blue tint, its not as bad as I was expecting (phew!). Will have to give it a good testing this evening when I'm home and have set it up properly.

Can't see any grain, and it looks uniform.

Can;t wait until I get home so I can give it a good testing, roll on 5!

Associate
That or live under a rock for a few days :D Avoid Reddit and XDA too!
Tbh outside of the blue tint, to see any of the other issues clearly you need to set up the scenario. Sitting in a dark room, brightness all the way down, staring at grey screens!
My only major concern as it is with any display panel, is faulty pixels!

Associate
That or live under a rock for a few days :D Avoid Reddit and XDA too!
Tbh outside of the blue tint, to see any of the other issues clearly you need to set up the scenario. Sitting in a dark room, brightness all the way down, staring at grey screens!
My only major concern as it is with any display panel, is faulty pixels!

Indeed, you do have to take what you read with a pinch of salt in a lot of cases. In my experience, many people are hysterical about the smallest of issues. I remember when I got my Sony Z3, people were kicking off because of the poor viewing angles - and indeed, I could see what they meant but it wasn't exactly a deal breaker. Then there were the ones who were destroying their phones by taking it into a swimming pool (Chlorine destroys the seals), or dropping them in lager and declaring they weren't water proof. Which kind of special person does that?

I think there are people out there who go looking for problems. I'm more interested to hear opinions from people who are more or less like me, who will accept nothing is perfect and unless it drastically alters the usability then it's not likely I'll dwell on it too much.

Permabanned
OP
Get ready for a huge push from both Apple and Google on Artificial Reality

Bloomberg notes that Apple and Google working on big changes and improvements in AR with the ARKit and ARCore platforms, respectively.

They understand Apple to move away from relying exclusively on Face ID technology (known as True Depth) used on the iPhone X to a 3-D rear facing sensor system or a combo of both for the 2019 iPhone.

Apple CEO Cook said that "AR will change the way we use technology forever". Google first introduced AR in 2014 with Project Tango and I used it as a feature in Google Glass.

Big changes ahead:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...target-rear-facing-3-d-sensor-for-2019-iphone

Soldato
EE really are a special company. I messaged their Facebook team this morning for help tracking my pre-order hoping to get some kind of information of how long I am expecting to wait to get the phone. I explained it was an in-store pre-order and they said to please call customer services. So I did. No record of my pre-order at all. I am asked to go into the store and find out what is going on.

At lunch I go into the store to be told my order is on their system and is awaiting stock to be assigned to it. The in-store system and online/telephone systems are completely different and one cannot see the other, apparently. Seriously? In this day and age? Fine, whatever, at least my pre-order is in a system somewhere and hopefully I should get a call to go get it in a couple of days. Heart attack over.

Back
Top Bottom