• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Threadripper Owners Thread ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date
Soldato
I notice your running a Samsung 960 PRO. If I was to upgrade from a Crucial MX100 to a 960 Evo how much of a difference does it really make?

PC is mainly used for gaming.
Agree with sandys. All SSD's are fast. I'm not sure I would upgrade unless it's to a higher capacity. I was building a new system and was unsure what to do with the old one so instead of re-using an 850 Evo Sata from the other system I decided to pick up a similar capacity newer model and then thought I might as well get the NVME M2 and Pro model instead of another Sata Evo. Did wonder if I should have picked up a 1TB but at the time was thinking "no more money" :).
I've bought, used and then sold many SSD's over the years, starting with intel G2's and hardly notice the difference in normal use. Even if it takes 10 seconds to load a game instead of 20, it's not something you do that often.
I still use an intel 520 too that I've had for years - it's now in the TR system as a secondary drive (data drive).
If you need to get a larger capacity then it's worth it and buy the best you can afford/justify paying.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just installed a second Samsung 960 Pro for Nvme Raid 0. Can anyone recommend any good free benchmark tools to test performance?

EDIT

Atto
QhGOKeZ.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
Associate
Welcome, Ya very good score from your 2 x 512gb 960 Pro in Raid,
What i got good for me & gaming , Windows 10 boots up in like a sec

In Hard Disk Sentinel Temp runs upto 46c when Gaming, i have a
EK-M.2 NVME HEATSINK - BLACK to fit on

I can only imagine what the temps are for 2 x 512 960 evo pro are in raid ,
one would need a chilling 8 pack to sit on them:p

zQhnN2v.jpg.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not looked at temps much tbh, i will have to check. I am only using these system for gaming so i doubt they will ever see much extensive work. I may put some of my frequent games on here for quick loading times.

Soldato
Latest Samsung firmware on the 960 pro seems to have killed the IOPS, at least according to the Magician benchmark tool. Read and write now < 60,000, from previously > 280,000. Only other thing I've changed since I last tried it is to enable virtualisation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got a 1920X + Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 mobo from OCUK in the Black Friday sale. Incredible hardware :D :eek: but an absolute ball buster to setup for Win 7 x64 (I want 7 as well as 10 because 7 is still better for gaming). Also Win 7 updates are not blocked at all on a base build MS must have unblocked those now.

The latest AMD Drivers package also causes a nasty BSOD on a base build Win 7 install which was not fun took ages to fix & even screwing the CPU into the socket was a nightmare to get the screws to tighten without flexing the mobo too much :eek: Great hardware but I must have spent about 14 hours setting it up in all. I had even built a slipstreamed Win 7 image on a USB stick beforehand but it just ignored that could not find the drivers I had slipstreamed onto it so went back to my Win 7 Ultimate DVD & PS2 keyboard to get it to work!

I can see myself having this system for many years to come it makes Intel look like the chumps they have become offering sky high prices & less innovation! Long live threadripper & whatever next AMD can bring to the table :D

Back
Top Bottom