• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Threadripper Owners Thread ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date
Associate
^^ I didn't apply any hard pressure at all, same as amigafan2003 did, get each screw to bite and then proceed to torque them down. Same principal to when installing heatsinks etc, saves loads of hassle and cursing.

Associate
^^ I didn't apply any hard pressure at all, same as amigafan2003 did, get each screw to bite and then proceed to torque them down. Same principal to when installing heatsinks etc, saves loads of hassle and cursing.

I ended up doing mine twice as the first time I got memory errors on one RAM slot (not enough torque on the CPU screws apparently). Only discovered the torque wrench for the 2nd attempt, where the mobo came with a normal torx bar and said 1.5Nm....

Before tightening the screws I wobbled the processor slightly until it "locked" in place and dropped down slightly into the socket. It was definitely fitted properly to the metal slide, but just needed a tiny adjustment to make certain it wasn't catching.
Both times I needed to apply maybe 1kg of force to get #1 to bite, and a similar force to #2 and #3. Then did them up #1, #2, #3 maybe half a turn at a time until the "slack" was gone, then torque wrench to 1.5Nm.

Was worried the first time applying that force to get #1 to bite, but when you see the clamping force after 1.5Nm torque being applied to all screws, it is insignificant.

Not hugely impressed with Gigabyte. Between the windows drivers and my CPU Voltage running quite high @ 1.4V default despite a 1.2V setpoint, not too good. Not sure what's going on with the voltage, more investigation required.
Going to try the F3G BIOS tonight, which will hopefully correct the voltage "issue". Also means I can then build the RAID 10 array for photo editing.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Voltage does that by default due to XFR. It can go as high as 1.5V. From what I've seen, i don't think it's a gigabyte thing, other boards do it too and yes, it still does it on the F3g bios. I ended up putting in a negative voltage offset to reduce how high it would ramp the voltage up. In the end I just have up and used the p state overclocking to get 4ghz with 1.325v and llc bringing load voltage up to 1.35v. Changing the minimum processor state in power options down to 5% allows it to down clock to idle 2.2GHz too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
For guys running stock settings with XFR enabled, can you post your highest Cinebench single threaded score without any cinebench tweaks? I managed to achieve 170-171 months ago, but nowadays on my 1950x the best i can achieve is 158-163 and i can't figure out why i have such a performance drop off. Temps are less than 50c so its not heat related.

Soldato
Unfortunately can't have a look until this coming Friday. I believe mine @ completely standard settings scored 163 when I checked it a few weeks back.
One thing that can affect the scores is virtualisation so if you've enabled that at some point it might have an impact.

Associate
Voltage does that by default due to XFR. It can go as high as 1.5V. From what I've seen, i don't think it's a gigabyte thing, other boards do it too and yes, it still does it on the F3g bios. I ended up putting in a negative voltage offset to reduce how high it would ramp the voltage up. In the end I just have up and used the p state overclocking to get 4ghz with 1.325v and llc bringing load voltage up to 1.35v. Changing the minimum processor state in power options down to 5% allows it to down clock to idle 2.2GHz too.

Thanks for the info. I got worried as mine was pegged at >1.4V 100% of the time even when there was no load on the processor. HWinfo was also reporting cores reaching 8GHz so it was probably just an issue with reporting/drivers/windows.

Caporegime
Unfortunately can't have a look until this coming Friday. I believe mine @ completely standard settings scored 163 when I checked it a few weeks back.
One thing that can affect the scores is virtualisation so if you've enabled that at some point it might have an impact.
Yes definitely not enabled that. I am using a more recent bios version i think, but as i have Raid Nvme now i can only roll back so far and no earlier bios that supports Raid has helped so far.

It's not a huge issue, but now i know performance has dropped it is annoying me. :D

Kei

Kei

Soldato
For guys running stock settings with XFR enabled, can you post your highest Cinebench single threaded score without any cinebench tweaks? I managed to achieve 170-171 months ago, but nowadays on my 1950x the best i can achieve is 158-163 and i can't figure out why i have such a performance drop off. Temps are less than 50c so its not heat related.
Pretty sure mine scored 168 at stock. Weirdly, it scores higher (170) when overclocked to 4GHz even though xfr usually pushed single core jobs up to 4-4.2GHz.

Soldato
Got mine built and I am really impressed so far it has really cutting down rendering times, I am rendering 4k videos in Premiere Pro in the same amount of time it took the 5820k to render the same video at 1080p, I have it overclocked at 4ghz using the profile in the BIOS and doesnt utilise more than 70% of the CPU during rendering at present, the same graphics card being used (GTX 970) and cooler (Corsair AIO H80i GT v2).

For anyone wondering if the ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 will fit into a Corsair 570x Crystal series case it does just but the right side screws cannot be screwed in due to how the plate is curved but still fits and looks awesome in it, if those screws were in the board would be flexed! The board slightly covers the cable management grommets but there is still space to get all cables through nicely.
Any chance of a picture of the board in the case as I'm thinking of getting both if it fits.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
My score of 168 was local mode. I'm yet to find anything that actually prefers distributed. I even get worse bandwidth in aida tests in distributed which makes no sense.

Associate
My score of 168 was local mode. I'm yet to find anything that actually prefers distributed. I even get worse bandwidth in aida tests in distributed which makes no sense.

Assassins Creed Origins like distributed, its the only one I have found though.

Associate
Fun times, got my system ready to install the raid BIOS, thought I would use secure erase to wipe old SSDs, it wiped every SSD in my system, bugger, that wasn't nice, fortunately I backed up important stuff, still looks like MSI have done a better job on the Carbon BIOS now, with more features actually working, RAID, bclk overclocking etc, of course I cannot load any of my old settings as they are no longer compatible, weeks of tuning ahead.

Anyway my cheapo (comparatively) PM961s are playing nice in Raid 0.

Took me a while to figure out how to get my SM961 system drive to be seen, until I realized I had to set it up as a volume on the Raid controller too.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone have SATA RAID working on the Gigabyte Aorus X399 Gaming 7? Using bios F3G.

I was trying to setup my 4 SATA HDD's in Raid 10, but the gigabyte manual doesn't seem to be correct. It calls for CSM to be Disabled, which allows the RAID menu to appear in the BIOS. When I set CSM to Disabled and save and reboot, CSM gets re-enabled...

After much fiddling, it turns out you don't need to reboot after setting CSM to Disabled for the RAID menu to appear. But after setting up the SATA RAID, my normal NVMe SSD Boot Drive isn't picked up during the handoff between BIOS and the OS, so I'm stuck with a dos Insert a boot disk error. Even after putting all the BIOS settings back to defaults, it has the same issue.
I confirmed the NVMe SSD is intact using the windows install USB's command prompt, so something appears to be wrong in the BIOS, but it is probably hidden/bugged.

Not very impressed with this board so far. Issues with supplied drivers and no raid support

Associate
You have to assign the NVMe Boot disk as a Volume on the array and then load the raid drivers when doing the install, or at least that is what worked for me.

On that note, I am seeing poor performance when trying to use my new raid array and transferring between two disks on the controller.

Independently the disks are great but transferring between them which is surely why you want nice fast discs it can be slower than a normal SSD/HDD, any tips.

Top two tests are independently run, bottom two tests two disks, (1 drive, 1 Raid0)thrashed at the same time, spu is not being hammered so am unsure why I have this bottleneck, should be no bottle neck with all the lanes?

slow_disks.png

Last edited:
Associate
You have to assign the NVMe Boot disk as a Volume on the array and then load the raid drivers when doing the install, or at least that is what worked for me.

Thanks for the input. To clarify, I'm not using the 4x HDD in RAID 10 to boot from, where they're just for processing stupidly large photos/videos. The NVMe SSD is not in any RAID configuration, and is where Windows 10 is installed.

With the above in mind, do I still need to set the NVMe SSD a RAID Volume, etc?
Seems a bit illogical, but with the way the Gigabyte BIOS works, it wouldn't surprise me.

Thanks for your help. Apprecaite it.

EDIT: So have it working now, and this might be useful to others.

To get SATA RAID working, the manual is incorrect. I set the SATA to RAID, and then set the two boot options in the BIOS tab to UEFI Only. Only then does the RAID menu appear in Peripherals. I ended up leaving CSM Enabled as the BIOS wont allow it to go to Disabled.

Now when I set this up the first time it corrupted my Master Boot Record, hence my confusion above. I had to do a diskpart and set my windows disk/partition to active again then a windows repair, but managed to get it back up and running OK.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom