Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Fair enough. In that case, what's the best option for a moderate (and cheap :p) CPU upgrade?

Mine has the standard CPU:

vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 58
model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G1610T @ 2.30GHz
stepping : 9
microcode : 0x19
cpu MHz : 2129.720
cache size : 2048 KB

Soldato
The Gen 10 in its max out of the box spec is faster than the Gen 8's max out of box, however, the CPU on the Gen10 is stuck to the board where as the Gen8 allows you to fit certain other Intel chips, fastest being the E3-12xx series..

If you have the stock CPU in there at the mo then theres some i3 options that'll fit the bill, depends what you want to do with the unit tbh

Soldato
Nothing extreme, it's a baremetal Ubuntu install that runs, off the top of my head:

Samba/NFS shares for a couple of Kodi Raspberry Pis
MySQL DB for Kodi indexing
Couchpotato
Sonarr
Apache for website devel
BIND for local network
Unifi for Ubiquiti APs
MotionEye for managing MotionEye rPi cameras
1x 1TB WD Blue for Ubuntu
3x 2TB WD Reds in MDADM Raid 5

It's not exactly struggling at the minute, but if a CPU upgrade is reasonable then I may as well...

Associate
I'm trying to install xpenology within esxi on my microserver.

ESXI running rine with VMs, but I've been unable to get xpenology installed. When I try to install the .pat file, I get a "Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupt" error...

I've tried 3 different downloads of the .pat file, so I must be doing something wrong.

Any ideas?

Associate
Got the Gen10 to join my N40L this week. 4x3TB Ironwolf arrived today.

Impressions:

Pros
Fast. Streets ahead of the N40 and even the G8 which I have at work feels slow
Build actually better imo. Yes, it's not as upgradeable CPU wise but at the current price of £160 including cashback and 8GB DDR it's still a better choice than the G8 imo.
Lots of free room inside to mount extra hardware
2xDP and 1xVGA is excellent. I just bought a DP to HDMI cable and connected it up to my Dell, using OSD to switch between the two. Runs another monitor on the other DP just fine.
5th SATA port makes install a breeze

Cons
Don't buy it if you want to run ESX with storage passthrough as it doesn't work (and is unlikely to given it's a Marvell controller). ESX 6.5 does load and run without any other issues I can see. I specifically wanted to get conversant with HyperV instead so it doesn't worry me
Old P series raid controllers from HP don't work on Gen10. No cheap high spec raid :(
DDR4 is expensive

I think overall it's a worthwhile deal.

Soldato
Is the Gen8 only available second hand now? Can’t find it any where, let alone with cash back!

Ideally want to use it for a media and plex server so keen to upgrade the cpu so it can handle transcoding. Don’t think the Gen 10 would be up to it? And obviously can’t change the cpu!

I guess I’ll have to consider the dell? It’s huge tho! :(

Is anyone running the Gen 10 as a plex server? If so how’s it handle the transcoding?

Soldato

Impressions:

Pros
Fast. Streets ahead of the N40 and even the G8 which I have at work feels slow
Build actually better imo. Yes, it's not as upgradeable CPU wise but at the current price of £160 including cashback and 8GB DDR it's still a better choice than the G8 imo.
Lots of free room inside to mount extra hardware
2xDP and 1xVGA is excellent. I just bought a DP to HDMI cable and connected it up to my Dell, using OSD to switch between the two. Runs another monitor on the other DP just fine.
5th SATA port makes install a breeze

Cons
Don't buy it if you want to run ESX with storage passthrough as it doesn't work (and is unlikely to given it's a Marvell controller). ESX 6.5 does load and run without any other issues I can see. I specifically wanted to get conversant with HyperV instead so it doesn't worry me
Old P series raid controllers from HP don't work on Gen10. No cheap high spec raid :(
DDR4 is expensive

I think overall it's a worthwhile deal.
Biggest con, no iLo.

What CPU is your works G8? Put a i3-3240 in mine, £20, nippy enough.

Associate

Impressions:

Pros

Can it do 4K resolution via DP if you have relevant monitor/tv?

Caporegime
Thanks.

So I just installed a new 3TB HD but disk management doesn't like it. It asks so choose either MBR or GPT when I open disk management but then says "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" every time. I have tried the HD in a couple of different slot but it still persists. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom