• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Associate
And the electricity bill? :D
No such thing as waste heat at this time of year :D

Surprisingly the Vega only uses about 150w undervolted and tweaked, the Fury is a little more...thirsty shall we say! It is still profitable though and I am only using the Fury until I've paid my Vega off, it'll go back in the spares pile after that.

Associate
I'm stunned, my 1080ti Aorus Extreme was £690 back in June its now £820 from OCuk which when compared to prices in the states is really good. At egg the only 1080ti in stock is the Aorus Extreme and its a whopping $1899. Surely prices should be due to slide back as the new cards can't be that far off.

Associate
Yep prices are stupid nowdays. There's lots of demand and only 2 companies creating the GPU chips in the market, so its easy for them to inflate prices.

I'm sticking with my MSI 970GTX, now 3 years old and still works great after years of daily usage. The current GPU prices dont inspire me to upgrade, its too expensive and not much noticeable gain for 1080p gaming.

Caporegime
This generation wasn't sold at a loss IIRC,since it was not sustainable like last time.
There was no profit margin thouigh, and hwo know what their costs are now. Perhaps they are being sold at a loss currently?

There are also differences because the console have massive volume and the components are ordered at bulk once or twice a year to build a batch. If Sony purchased a years supply of memory at fixed costs then you woudln't expect much change.

Soldato
I'm stunned, my 1080ti Aorus Extreme was £690 back in June its now £820 from OCuk which when compared to prices in the states is really good. At egg the only 1080ti in stock is the Aorus Extreme and its a whopping $1899. Surely prices should be due to slide back as the new cards can't be that far off.
Now might be a great time to sell it, and limp on with a lessor card for a while :p

Associate
I hope things do change. I was going to build a pc in a couple of months but the value just isn't there. As the value gets lower so will the already smaller player base buying the games. I love pc gaming so this isn't good.

Soldato
I bought my MSI GTX980ti Gaming from OCUK for ~3 BTC, best deal ever /cry.

That's one expensive card at current prices.....

I remain firm in my belief that as very few transactions are made using crypto currencies that aren't speculative in nature that one day the whole lot will collapse to their true worth of absolutely nothing.

I've yet to hear a coherent argument as to how any crypto currency could transition into an actual currency (you know like sterling, dollars the yen etc) as opposed to a speculative device with no real inherent worth attached to it.

For one a core component of a usable currency is it has to remain relatively stable in its purchasing power over time.....

Something no crypto has even started to approach

Last edited:
Associate
Right now the top card on Steam Survey is the GTX 1060, this is no surprise as the x60 cards have always been most popular with the GTX 970 being an anomaly. That was due to the price performance difference between 970 & 980. The GTX 980 couldn't justify it's higher price and it took a full 5 months before Nvidia launched the GTX 960.

As a PC gamer it's looking like anything above a 1060 is not worth having in terms of bang for buck.

Soldato
I bought my MSI GTX980ti Gaming from OCUK for ~3 BTC, best deal ever /cry.

How much was that at the time though? I remember when OcUK started accepting bitcoins and very nearly bought some as a result but the whole thing seemed dodgy and unpredictable. :D

Man of Honour
That's one expensive card at current prices.....

I remain firm in my belief that as very few transactions are made using crypto currencies that aren't speculative in nature that one day the whole lot will collapse to their true worth of absolutely nothing.

I've yet to hear a coherent argument as to how any crypto currency could transition into an actual currency (you know like sterling, dollars the yen etc) as opposed to a speculative device with no real inherent worth attached to it.

For one a core component of a usable currency is it has to remain relatively stable in its purchasing power over time.....

Something no crypto has even started to approach

Very true ^^

I also think that crypto currencies are living on borrowed time as I think it won't be long before governments around the world will start making it illegal to trade with them. Crypto currencies by their nature go against everything a government is trying to do and can not be allowed to grow or they will make economies unmanageable on a scale that makes the Greeks look financially competent.

Permabanned
I've fudged my 1080Ti in that I tried watercooling it but mounted the block wrong and the screws a solid and stuck so don't know what to do, I'm currently just using my 970 which still plays all the games at 3440x1440 but at lower details but hey ho you live and learn, My next card will have the block preinstalled, Unless I can salvage the 1080Ti that it.

Back
Top Bottom