New Star Trek series - 2017

Associate
Good first series, started a little choppy but got going well mid way.
Unlike... er TNG which has 2 seasons of almost universal guff :p or DS9 which did have some boring crap in the beginning...or even Voyager which you were just waiting for Janeway to blow her top and go nuts.

So its off to a decent start, no i didnt like the finale but hey what do you expect nowadays.. and as for the Enterprise of course it wasnt going to look like the original - i bet when we see inside its different as well, no one will watch a cardboard set with plastic blocks as "tapes" nowadays.

Soldato
Did they actually say it was 1701? I know she said it was enterprise and we all know pike was enterrises captain.... but what if it was the defiant? Back from the mirror universe, with lorca on board?

Caporegime
I'm still not clear if this is really the prime universe or not, because I don't remember a 9 month war where the Klingons nearly won being canon, or a random Klingon female uniting the houses with an iPad, but assuming it was they were never going to blow up Qo'nos

Soldato
I thought the ending was a bit too neat and for a series finale I thought there was a lack of suspense. It was clear that they were never going to blow up Qo'nos, so that whole plot thread fell a bit flat. Also, I know that cliffhanger endings can be annoying but I thought that ending it by introducing Enterprise didn't really leave me desperate for the next series to start.

Soldato
They would have had to completely refit the ship. The terran defiant's wireframe image we saw suggests it has been modified from a regular constitution.

As a side, I feel this version of the constitution is a relatively nice visual upgrade (lets face it, it could not be left looking like a 60s model). Unfortunately this is a problem with doing prequel work. If they had gone for post Voyager/TNG movies they would have had a clean slate design wise (or could have just ripped designs straight from STO). Hell given Voyager opened the can of worms with transwarp again, finding faster than warp technology, say spore, would have even made sense.

attempting to write it off as needing to find a "non-human interface" seems weak to me. Especially as it probably means they will just spin it back up whenever the plot calls for it.

Soldato
Why?

Enterprise managed it:

I disagree, it looks hugely old-fashioned compared to the rest of the series. Having everyone dressed in the camp 60's costumes is like someone's idea of "futuristic" in the 1950s.

Just about every superhero/fantasy/sci-fi movie or series with a history has updated their look and the feel to match the capability of modern visual effects, so, I have no problem with Discovery updating the looks of the Enterprise to match the aesthetic of the series. Otherwise we're saying that nothing is allowed to evolve from what it looked like 50 years ago when visual effects barely existed. Even TOS was itself updated to improve the effects and look of the visuals!

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Even TOS was itself updated to improve the effects and look of the visuals!

Yes, it was. But the one thing that they didn't do was change the look of the Starship USS Enterprise NCC-1701, no bloody A, B, C or D. Some things really should be locked down. It's the price you have to pay to write stories in this universe.

And where d'you draw the line with regard to changing stuff up before it becomes a reboot rather than set in the same timeline?

Soldato
Yes, it was. But the one thing that they didn't do was change the look of the Starship USS Enterprise NCC-1701, no bloody A, B, C or D. Some things really should be locked down. It's the price you have to pay to write stories in this universe.

And where d'you draw the line with regard to changing stuff up before it becomes a reboot rather than set in the same timeline?

We're talking an aesthetic update, not an actual change in the core of the thing. It's still the Enterprise, almost a character of it's own, and that's not changed. Its looks have just been brought up to date to match the rest of the shiny/lens-flare style. Otherwise it would be jarringly out of place to have the new constitution class look like a cheap airfix model compared to the more high-fidelity Discovery we've been watching.

Christian Bale isn't dressed like Adam West, and the Tumbler Batmobile isn't the same as the one in the 60's series. Henry Cavell does not look or dress like George Reeves. You have to update visuals for the new audiences, or you are going to be laughed out of the room when you use all this modern technology to present a cardboard cutout from the 60s. You can't use iguanas with horns stuck on them instead of CGI dinosaurs, you can't get away with the low tech limitations when you can use digital effects to make things look totally realistic.

It's an aesthetic choice that you may not agree with because it's different from what we saw in TOS (itself now updated), but I think it's quite valid to update the visuals and design to match an updated series as long as you keep the spirit of the original, which Discovery's version of Enterprise definitely does. It's totally recognisable as a Constitution class ship, and quibbling about the colour of the lights or the shape of the Bussard collectors doesn't change that at all.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Christian Bale isn't dressed like Adam West, and the Tumbler Batmobile isn't the same as the one in the 60's series. Henry Cavell does not look or dress like George Reeves. You have to update visuals for the new audiences, or you are going to be laughed out of the room when you use all this modern technology to present a cardboard cutout from the 60s.

Bale's Batman isn't in the same timeline/universe/whatever as the Adam West series. You want to go back and update the look of something, that's what a reboot is for. But don't make wholesale changes to the established look of something and then try and claim that you're still in the same timeline.

Back
Top Bottom