Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Thats exactly what i need. love a good beading!

Good in the shower too.

Can you use it on wet cars as a drying aid

Last edited:
Soldato
Product Review: Halfords Upholstery Cleaner

2ecqcsm.jpg

Short review of Halfords own brand Upholstery Cleaner, priced at £3.50 for 500ml (£7/L for those bad at math).

Test specimen would be my 850 T5, which has probably never had a boot clean in its life, despite definitely being used for its intended purpose. There was an assortment of oil stains, chain-ring marks, mud, grease stains and general discolouration and flattening of the nap.

Nastiness:
30m6f08.jpg

206zkgn.jpg

o8a2pf.jpg

9seyok.jpg

The process used involved a standard vacuum cleaner, a couple of MF cloths, and a £1 scrubbing brush from Tesco (no review for that, I'm afraid).

Lightly misting the whole boot area with the cleaner - which has quite a pleasant smell, not at all chemical-y - I then used the brush to scrub the area vertically and horizontally, in a similar manner to which you would use a DA polisher. Similarly, I did not apply much pressure, primarily only using the brush to lift the nap and lather the cleaner slightly. The vacuum was then used to suck some of the moisture out, as well as to remove the sand/mud/leaves/detritus that the scrubbing brush extracted from the nap, before the MF cloths were employed to dry the surface more thoroughly.

The entire process took about 40 mins, including faffing around with set-up and making a coffee. The following two shots are quick 50/50s, admittedly in sub-optimal light, but I believe they show the difference nonetheless. They also show the nap being revived.

oky652.jpg

519abr.jpg

Finally, we have some completed pictures, including shots of that oil spill and chain-ring grease:

2qm0tnn.jpg

20ptqte.jpg

wi0dv7.jpg

Rating: Honestly, 5*.

Its a brilliant product, smells nice, no horrible chemical scent or burn that you get with some products. Its also very effective, as I think the oil spill shows. Beyond that, I've also used it to remove pen stains and printer cartridge explosions from a beige P2 V70 interior, and water staining from my old Corolla. I've not found a stain it hasn't tackled, actually.

It's far cheaper than some of the 'common' detailers choices, but I can't see a single reason why.

Autoglym Interior Shampoo: £6.45 for 500ml
303 Cleaner & Spot Remover: £8.95 for 950ml
Chemical Guys Fabric Clean: £8.95 for 496ml
SONAX Xtreme Foam Upholstery Cleaner: £8.95 for 400ml

Soldato
Yeah I've got that upholstery cleaner too although only used it once (when I bought my car) and without a brush!

Judging by your review a brush is a good idea rather than just microfiber cloths.

It removed most carpet marks but struggled with a rubbery area that was in the carpet. This is probably more to do with the material and staining though.

Man of Honour
I used some new wheel cleaner today, Bit Hamber and found it better than any I have used before. I am sure many here have tried it, but I thought it really good.

Soldato
Judging by your review a brush is a good idea rather than just microfiber cloths.

Certainly helps with agitation and getting the product into the nap.

I do wonder whether G101 would have had the same effect though!

I had tried Megs APC before the upholstery cleaner. APCs are generally not that well suited to anything glued (headliner for example), as they'll degrade the glue. I also found it to be effective for lighter stains, but didn't touch ink/oil in the P2 V70.

I still have the front carpet to do, so I can do that in APC and get a comparison if you'd like.

Associate
How does it compare to Bilberry? if you've used that before...
loads better as the Bit Hamber is a fall out remover as well (Can use it on paint work as well the same as there korrosol).IT dose an amazing job of cleaning i use it for heavy wheel clean up mainly and then use Bilberry for every day use as the price makes sense for long term use .

Soldato
I used some new wheel cleaner today, Bit Hamber and found it better than any I have used before. I am sure many here have tried it, but I thought it really good.

Yup that's the one I recommend to everyone, it's one of the best I've tried. As close to spray on and power wash off as it gets.

Bilbery is rubbish is comparison and I've still got like 2l sitting of it.

Xonax wheel cleaner is pretty good but just falls behind bilt hamber.

Autoglym is rubbish for anything other than a very easy to clean off dirt, something your pressure washer would take off without cleaner.

Caporegime
I do wonder whether G101 would have had the same effect though!

Great write up nonetheless.

I use g101 with a vax steamcleaner. I have tried many products and while they might look clean. Still stink. Only thing that works for me with a wet dog in the back is a strong dilution of g101 and a good scrub with a steam cleaner. Then use a drying cloth to rub it down.

Caporegime
Ive only used Meguires, Autoglym and Wonder Wheels (years ago) products and it was better than all those various products.

loads better as the Bit Hamber is a fall out remover as well (Can use it on paint work as well the same as there korrosol).IT dose an amazing job of cleaning i use it for heavy wheel clean up mainly and then use Bilberry for every day use as the price makes sense for long term use .

Cool thanks both. I've ordered a bottle to see how it does. :)

Soldato

+1 I picked some up after getting annoyed with mixing Bilberry, and smelling Dragon's Breath. BH stuff looks to be just as effective as Dragon's Breath, doesn't pong as much, and is also water based so hopefully not too aggressive.

Man of Honour
I did find I used half a bottle though for one wash but my wheels were in a mess so did them with spray, jet washed and then did a round 2 to get callipers and further into the wheels done. Looked great when done but that first round was what impressed me most, cleared a lot more than the other products I mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom