BMW and M Power Owners

NVP

NVP

Soldato
£2.5k for a replacement compressor and an new air spring? Are they serious? It's stupid quotes like this that help them peddle their overpriced warranty.

The compressors are available for about £100 and are apparently easily accessible under the rear of the car. And air springs aren't much either.
BMW quoted for 2 new air bags, 2 new springs and the compressor.

The independent quoted for the same but instead of 2 springs it was 2 shock absorbers. He said the reason it was so high is it was all direct from BMW and those were the prices they gave him. I trust this garage so no reason to think they're trying it on.

I didn't tell them that BMW had seen it until after he quoted me, so he's going to review if it is just the springs.

On top of all this its just had its major service and it needs 4 new tyres.... grrrr!!!! I should have kept the M5! :(

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Have you checked with companies such as Arnott, Airdominance, Rockauto etc etc? I'd have thought the F11 is old enough now that there should be some decent, warrantied, aftermarket solutions available.

For the air system on my old Jag, aftermarket shocks were around £300 per side, and refurbished compressors around £250 - your quote seems extortionate.
Had a rear bag replaced under warranty. It was about £600 from memory. If you get it done at an independent do not use the OEM airbags. They are prone to failing. As above, look at the third party offerings, they are better.

The independent said he could only get these parts from BMW, but I've told him I think air bags are available elsewhere so he's going to get back to me.

Soldato
BMW quoted for 2 new air bags, 2 new springs and the compressor.

The independent quoted for the same but instead of 2 springs it was 2 shock absorbers. He said the reason it was so high is it was all direct from BMW and those were the prices they gave him. I trust this garage so no reason to think they're trying it on.

I didn't tell them that BMW had seen it until after he quoted me, so he's going to review if it is just the springs.

On top of all this its just had its major service and it needs 4 new tyres.... grrrr!!!! I should have kept the M5! :(

Has the independent looked at the car ? Shouldn't be difficult to tell if it is the springs or shock absorbers that have failed. One down side of the adaptive suspension is the price of the shock absorbers at 1k each, as it's an uncommonly spec'd option hard to source from anywhere else other than BMW.

If you do go with BMW I would get them to double check they haven't missed damaged shock absorbers.

Associate
So... i currently have a 435i Convertible, 14 plate, Tanzanite Blue with Opal White leather interior... i love it... but.

Whenever I see an M4 or a C63 drive along i have a little envy... and a big desire for a noisy, fast, upgrade. So... here i am, asking for some experience, balance and sanity.

I've been quoted £20k cost of change to get into an M4 competition pack coupe...mineral grey, orange interior, HUD and parking pack. Now... outside looking in, I'm thinking... is it worth THAT much more? and should i just get an older non competition pack for £10-15k cost of change... or... just keep the 435i.

Anybody here have experience of doing the same? Was it worth it? Is it TWICE the car?

Soldato
So... i currently have a 435i Convertible, 14 plate, Tanzanite Blue with Opal White leather interior... i love it... but.

Whenever I see an M4 or a C63 drive along i have a little envy... and a big desire for a noisy, fast, upgrade. So... here i am, asking for some experience, balance and sanity.

I've been quoted £20k cost of change to get into an M4 competition pack coupe...mineral grey, orange interior, HUD and parking pack. Now... outside looking in, I'm thinking... is it worth THAT much more? and should i just get an older non competition pack for £10-15k cost of change... or... just keep the 435i.

Anybody here have experience of doing the same? Was it worth it? Is it TWICE the car?
Not done the switch but probably won't be twice the car.I have owned non-M cars and M cars of the same series, ie, I went from an Z4 3.0 to a Z4 M in the past . With M cars you're getting everything that little more improved. Top end of everything (cars, GPU's etc) is never worth the money if you compare to the next model down, but it's not about that :). If you want the ultimate of a BMW series then it has to be the M.

Soldato
Absolutely, on paper it won't be worth it. Like all top end cars, they're illogical, but if we did everything by logic we'd all be driving 320d's.

Have you the option of changing to a later E92 M3?

Associate
Z4 sDrive35iS Roadsters

Is there a buyers guide anywhere? I'm so confused by all the options and trim.

Any advice on what I should insist on to get the best feel for the car. Most important parts are that it's automatic and it handles as best as it can.

Never came across a buyers guide when I was shopping for mine, but I can offer some help with regards to options if you're interested.

If you're looking for a 35iS then you get by default:
- DCT Gearbox (no manual offered)
- Adaptive Suspension
- Sports Exhaust (another 30dB over a 35i I believe)
- 40 BHP over a 35i
- M Sport
- Extended lighting

If you're after the best "feel" for the car then I'd say any 35iS will do, they didn't offer any options other than adaptive suspension on the Z4 that made any difference to the way it drove. I'd recommend either buying one without runflats or replacing them, as mine was noticeably quieter, comfier, softer and more planted on F1 AS3s that the run flats it came with.

You will find the odd 35iS that came with 18" wheels. I personally find those wheels hideous and the entire car sits much better on the 19" 326Ms. Ride will be more comfortable on the smaller wheels though.

Extras I'd recommend:
- Professional Navigation. Even if you don't want nav, this also gives you iDrive which makes the entire car a nicer place to be.
- Advanced Loudspeaker (the top end audio offering). The standard one in the Z4 really is shocking. If you're not that in to music (and by that I mean really don't care) then maybe leave it or find the middle ground business audio. But the advanced is really the one to go for.
- Comfort pack. Gives you heated seats, parking sensors and a wind deflector. Would really recommend all three, especially the wind deflector. Really makes a difference with the roof down.
- Folding mirrors. Optional extra, think they're worth holding out for as they're quite common (may even have been part of the comfort pack).
- Cruise. If not a daily driver then perhaps you can forget this one. Annoying it wasn't standard.

Extras I don't think are worth holding out for:
- Heating steering wheel. Lovely. Rare
- Adaptive Headlights. Nice gimmick, not too smart. Only turn when you turn corners, no beam splitting. Had this on mine, was a novelty really.
- High beam assistant. Nice gimmick, not too smart. Early revision of the system. Slow. No beam splitting. Often confused by shiny street furniture. Had this on mine, turned it off.
- Through load storage bag - hole in the boot that comes into the cabin. Comes with bag for skis. Only useful if you want it.
- Extended leather. Rare. Gives you a leather dash and more leather on the doors.

Incredibly rare options:
- TV
- Lumbar support.
- Comfort access.

The 35iS is well kitted out as stock. Only came in M-Sport trim, electrically operated memory sports seats as standard, nicer body kit, 35iS specific rear diffuser, louder exhaust, anthracite headlining, extended lighting (ambient lighting - actually quite nice), auto dimming and heated mirrors, nicer mats.

Mid-2013 is the LCI. Gives you newer white headlights, chrome side indicators, better looking plastic inside. Also a revised rear headlight to stop water ingress. All LCIs will come with DAB, most pre-LCI will too.

I loved my LCI 35iS. It was a great balance of effortless power and decent chuck-ability when you wanted a hoon. Thought the DCT was fantastic, used mine for a 40 mile a day commute but could also have fun in it. Did 2500 miles around Europe over two weeks, didn't break a sweat. Body didn't ache.

Car was reliable enough, but would still recommend a warranty. Had the the glovebox arm replaced and turbo wastegates seen to using my new car warranty. If adaptive suspension shocks go then the internet rumour is £1k a pop (and only sourced through BMW), but I've only seen one or two 2011 models with this problem.

Really regret rolling mine.

Any questions let me know.

Soldato
Slightly off topic as this relates to Mini's extended warranty, but I figure it's similar to the BMW one.

In terms of breakdown cover, my partners extended Mini warranty includes the following:

Level of Cover: Comprehensive

Claims Excess: £250

Emergency Service: Yes

Roadside Assistance: No

I've read the details of the emergency service cover here, I'm just not sure what Roadside Assistance would give in me in excess of this? Can anyone help?

Cheers.

alx

alx

Soldato
Never came across a buyers guide when I was shopping for mine, but I can offer some help with regards to options if you're interested.

If you're looking for a 35iS then you get by default:
- DCT Gearbox (no manual offered)
- Adaptive Suspension
- Sports Exhaust (another 30dB over a 35i I believe)
- 40 BHP over a 35i
- M Sport
- Extended lighting

If you're after the best "feel" for the car then I'd say any 35iS will do, they didn't offer any options other than adaptive suspension on the Z4 that made any difference to the way it drove. I'd recommend either buying one without runflats or replacing them, as mine was noticeably quieter, comfier, softer and more planted on F1 AS3s that the run flats it came with.

You will find the odd 35iS that came with 18" wheels. I personally find those wheels hideous and the entire car sits much better on the 19" 326Ms. Ride will be more comfortable on the smaller wheels though.

Extras I'd recommend:
- Professional Navigation. Even if you don't want nav, this also gives you iDrive which makes the entire car a nicer place to be.
- Advanced Loudspeaker (the top end audio offering). The standard one in the Z4 really is shocking. If you're not that in to music (and by that I mean really don't care) then maybe leave it or find the middle ground business audio. But the advanced is really the one to go for.
- Comfort pack. Gives you heated seats, parking sensors and a wind deflector. Would really recommend all three, especially the wind deflector. Really makes a difference with the roof down.
- Folding mirrors. Optional extra, think they're worth holding out for as they're quite common (may even have been part of the comfort pack).
- Cruise. If not a daily driver then perhaps you can forget this one. Annoying it wasn't standard.

Extras I don't think are worth holding out for:
- Heating steering wheel. Lovely. Rare
- Adaptive Headlights. Nice gimmick, not too smart. Only turn when you turn corners, no beam splitting. Had this on mine, was a novelty really.
- High beam assistant. Nice gimmick, not too smart. Early revision of the system. Slow. No beam splitting. Often confused by shiny street furniture. Had this on mine, turned it off.
- Through load storage bag - hole in the boot that comes into the cabin. Comes with bag for skis. Only useful if you want it.
- Extended leather. Rare. Gives you a leather dash and more leather on the doors.

Incredibly rare options:
- TV
- Lumbar support.
- Comfort access.

The 35iS is well kitted out as stock. Only came in M-Sport trim, electrically operated memory sports seats as standard, nicer body kit, 35iS specific rear diffuser, louder exhaust, anthracite headlining, extended lighting (ambient lighting - actually quite nice), auto dimming and heated mirrors, nicer mats.

Mid-2013 is the LCI. Gives you newer white headlights, chrome side indicators, better looking plastic inside. Also a revised rear headlight to stop water ingress. All LCIs will come with DAB, most pre-LCI will too.

I loved my LCI 35iS. It was a great balance of effortless power and decent chuck-ability when you wanted a hoon. Thought the DCT was fantastic, used mine for a 40 mile a day commute but could also have fun in it. Did 2500 miles around Europe over two weeks, didn't break a sweat. Body didn't ache.

Car was reliable enough, but would still recommend a warranty. Had the the glovebox arm replaced and turbo wastegates seen to using my new car warranty. If adaptive suspension shocks go then the internet rumour is £1k a pop (and only sourced through BMW), but I've only seen one or two 2011 models with this problem.

Really regret rolling mine.

Any questions let me know.

Great summary, pretty much covers everything. Nav is definitely key for resale, might be cheaper now but will struggle to shift later on.

I would say warranty is key, previous owner of my 35iS had to have the DCT gearbox replaced under warranty and it's nearly a 5 figure sum.

Soldato
Talking of warranty, mine expires at the end of this month but I’ve had nothing. Spoke to a dealer and they said I’d get a letter through the post? Can anybody confirm this, my attempts to try and get more info has just been met with it will arrive.

Associate
Time for a screenwash top up so just ordered the BMW screenwash with antifreeze.

What does everybody dilute this to? I know it's not a concentrate but I'm reading mixed reviews online. Some say 1:1, some saying 2 parts water to 1 part screenwash and the odd person puts it in straight!

Soldato
Time for a screenwash top up so just ordered the BMW screenwash with antifreeze.

What does everybody dilute this to? I know it's not a concentrate but I'm reading mixed reviews online. Some say 1:1, some saying 2 parts water to 1 part screenwash and the odd person puts it in straight!
It should tell you on the label. I sometimes dilute as much as 10:1, but do lower, 5:1 or 3:1, in the winter.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Repair update:

So I've had 2 indys look at it and both say there is no way BMW would have missed the broken shocks if they looked properly so I'm having the first indy do the repair.

I do not trust this BMW garage at all (Sytner Solihull). They ****** me off after the last repair I used them for and that was an insurance jobby, by contrast I've always trusted Sytner Coventry and Sytner Leicester who have both served me well over the last 15 years or whatever. Leicester did the last repair after I was rear ended and I couldn't be happier, shame this Solihull one is BS.

Ah well, on to the damage:
(I have adaptive drive so has to be OE)
2 shocks
2 springs
2 air bags
1 compressor
Just under 4k including labour

Plus 600 on a new passenger lock (failed a while back - but 6 bills?! Da fuq!?) and then another 650 ish on new rubber for all 4 corners....

Maybe I should get a cheap-ass Kia or something. Hahahaha shoot me if I ever do!

On the plus side, I have been rocking around in an 8 seater minivan hyundai i800 as it's all that was available and it's pretty damn good... no, no its not sorry, it's just a van, literally.

Should get my 5 back today (meant to be yesterday), fingers crossed.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Haha I need to keep the car for at least 3 years with no other problems to make sure the warranty wasn't worth it :D:eek::(

Back
Top Bottom