BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
I’m talking specifically about the 5 Series not adaptive systems in general.

There are two systems offered on the 5 Series – Variable Damper Control and Adaptive Drive.

Variable Damper Control is an Adaptive setup based on the SE suspension. It has 20mm higher ride height than an M Sport car and a VDC fitted car in Sport mode does not offer equivalent ride and handling to a passive M Sport suspension fitted car. Think of it is a comfortable suspension that can be made a bit firmer, not a ‘sporty’ suspension that can be made more comfortable. A car fitted with just VDC does not handle as well as a car fitted with passive M Sport suspension and exhibits more body roll etc.

Adaptive Drive adds Dynamic Drive to the Variable Damper Control which gives the cars electronically controlled hydraulic anti rollbars as well as the adaptive dampers. This system is excellent and absolutely does offer the best of all worlds – great handling but with the option of more comfort when needed.

So, the magazines go on and on and on about how adaptive suspension is ‘essential’ on the F10 yet 9/10 they are reviewing the 520d – a car for which Adaptive Drive was never offered and the only choice available was VDC which IMHO is an inferior setup to a passive M Sport car. The passive M Sport setup already offers a good compromise between ride and handling. You cannot get more comfort without either compromising the cars handling or going for the full on Adaptive Drive system which is very rare on a used car. A lot of people make the assumption that VDC alone is a ‘best of both’. It isn’t, IMHO.

It's not like picking EDC on an M3.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
No issues with the front suspension, all the work is on the rear.

The extended warranty covers them to 100k

The F11 still has rear shock absorbers so I expect that these will be what are getting replaced rather than the fronts.

They are pretty reliable, if the car hadn’t been driven with it on the bump stops due to the compressor/bag failure the bill would have been a lot less.
That's initially what I thought, however the garage says the shocks show signs of failure from before these issues and suggest they were the starting point of it all, they caused degredation of the airbag which in turn wore out the pump and then blah blah blah...

They also suggested I take the parts to BMW and get them to explain... which I would love to do as I don't mind an argument, however I am also very lazy :D and also lacking in spare time since my little one came along and my job moved down to MK. But maybe I will, although not sure what good will come of it, if any.

Caporegime
So gents, car is in the garage again this weekend for a problem that I first reported last spring. It's been to 3 different BMW dealerships who either can/can't see that there's an issue or can't pin-point where it is. I'm getting a little fed up and as some of you know I'm looking at changing the car - this being one of the things pushing me towards it. Given how long the issue has gone on and how often the car has been with BMW (I worked out out of 18months ownership it's spent 6 weeks with various dealers, about 8% of my ownership time!) do I have any legal rights in regards to...well...anything? A used M4 is currently pretty high on my list of next cars and I was considering trying to push for some form of discount/goodwill on the purchase of that based upon the crap I've had to deal with with this car. What do we reckon the chances are?

Soldato
I'm looking for some advice regarding the BMW Service Inclusive, When I put reg and mileage in it says services included for 5 years or 50k whichever comes first. My car is a 13 plate so just turned 5 years old and is on 42k.
The car is now due a 'Vehicle inspection' which is listed as free and its due a brake fluid change @ £81. It also has the option of an oil and filter change for free too but the car says this isn't due for 10k or Sep 19.. If I leave it till then will I lose it? As the car will be 6 years old.
I'm inclined to change the oil more frequently than the book says (15k I think? s65 engine) so im happy to do it before another 10k miles but it was only done 4-5k miles ago just before I bought it in October last year.
Cheers

NVP

NVP

Soldato
The airbags failing is very common not heard of dampers taking them out but adaptive dampers are rare. I wonder if the two rear end shunts caused an issue with them.
The airbags fail due to grit and grime getting inside and the rubber rolling over itself, they suggested the failure of the shocks was leaking onto the airbag thus causing the wear. I've no idea.

@Dis86, what is the issue?

Man of Honour
I'm looking for some advice regarding the BMW Service Inclusive, When I put reg and mileage in it says services included for 5 years or 50k whichever comes first. My car is a 13 plate so just turned 5 years old and is on 42k.
The car is now due a 'Vehicle inspection' which is listed as free and its due a brake fluid change @ £81. It also has the option of an oil and filter change for free too but the car says this isn't due for 10k or Sep 19.. If I leave it till then will I lose it? As the car will be 6 years old.
I'm inclined to change the oil more frequently than the book says (15k I think? s65 engine) so im happy to do it before another 10k miles but it was only done 4-5k miles ago just before I bought it in October last year.
Cheers

Second brake fluid change is not included and you cant get stuff done early so you won't get the oil either.

Caporegime
The airbags fail due to grit and grime getting inside and the rubber rolling over itself, they suggested the failure of the shocks was leaking onto the airbag thus causing the wear. I've no idea.

@Dis86, what is the issue?

Loud squeaking noise when the car is fully warmed up. They originally thought it was the brakes being slightly worn with the pads rubbing against a lip on the discs however I had all of the pads and discs replaced and the noise is still there.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Is it constant or only when braking? I'm sure some of the guys on here can fling ideas at you if you create a new thread with the details - if you can be bothered as I know you're getting rid

Caporegime
Is it constant or only when braking? I'm sure some of the guys on here can fling ideas at you if you create a new thread with the details - if you can be bothered as I know you're getting rid

Think I created one at the time and it was inconclusive. Noise is there all the time but only when moving. Doesn't sound cyclic. Applying brake pressure does nothing.

Tends not to do it if the road is wet.

Soldato
The adaptive dampers are just over £1000 for the pair (inc the mandatory additional damper). Air springs can be had for £350(?) for a pair of high quality OEM Arnott Wabco ones. Air compressor inc relay is £425 for a Wabco (original provider to BMW) one.

Less than £1800 for the parts and as it's just suspension stuff, labour should be minimal (£300 at an absolute push?) at a decent indepedent. Total of £2100 and saving of nearly £2000?

Soldato
Is £18 delivered a decent price for 5L of BMW screenwash with anti-freeze (part #83122409032)? I can't remember how much I paid for my last bottle, and I've deleted the email :/

NVP

NVP

Soldato
The adaptive dampers are just over £1000 for the pair (inc the mandatory additional damper). Air springs can be had for £350(?) for a pair of high quality OEM Arnott Wabco ones. Air compressor inc relay is £425 for a Wabco (original provider to BMW) one.

Less than £1800 for the parts and as it's just suspension stuff, labour should be minimal (£300 at an absolute push?) at a decent indepedent. Total of £2100 and saving of nearly £2000?
Why you trying to make me sad for? :(

Jez

Jez

Caporegime

This sounds more realistic. Without even knowing the car, the prices quoted before sounded completely pie in the sky. £2100 is still a sizable bill, though.

Soldato
Do the cars go into some sort of deep sleep (E92 model) after a while.

I had my m3 parked for about 3 weeks or so and it needed to be opened using the button on the keyfob rather than keyless but it started up right away but had forgotten the trip computer and time/date.

Soldato
Second brake fluid change is not included and you cant get stuff done early so you won't get the oil either.

Actually you can, within 1000 miles. If it has more than 1k miles showing they'll wait though. My entire last service was based on having less than 1000 miles to the next oil service and brake pads.

Back
Top Bottom