• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looking to replace fans on Asus Dual 1070

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
I'm also thinking I might be better off with a couple of static pressure fans. Mine sits around 75c when gaming, which is a little warm for my liking. Quiet as a mouse though. I'm contemplating going out in a bit and getting a couple of Corsair SP120 PWM fans and seeing what they do. They push more air than the Noctuas but obviously with the trade off that they'll be louder. That said, I don't have to run them at full pelt with them being PWM.

If I do get some SP120s, I'll come back here and let you know the results. Some would say not necessary as 75c isn't dangerously warm, but I like my electronic components to run as cool as possible.
I don't want to spend any more money really as these Noctua fans are not very cheap, as long as the temperature stays below 75oC I will be happy, I am waiting for another exhaust fan as this Noctua one is not very quiet, I will play on the same game again for a longer period, I was sat there at 93% usage for about 5 to 10 minutes and the temperature wouldn't go over 70oC, it will be interesting to see how you get on with your fans though, thank you. You mentioned about the noise of the corsair fans, I want to find a happy medium and I hope that I have it and the temperatures don't go much higher than 70oc as the noise is just right for the 100& rpm speed.

I would guess that at 99% usage on my setup that the card shouldn't go past 75oC though, 1600rpm doesn't seem to be fast enough to keep the card any cooler.

One thing that does baffle me though is that the fan runs at 70% rpm at 63oC but at 70oC it has to go up to 100% rpm, that's quite a jump in rpms in just a 7oc heat rise. Like Krakadoom said though, sufficient air flow on the case does keep the GPU from getting too hot.

P.S. I will assume that you are going to buy the quiet edition ones :p

Last edited:
Associate
I don't want to spend any more money really as these Noctua fans are not very cheap, as long as the temperature stays below 75oC I will be happy, I am waiting for another exhaust fan as this Noctua one is not very quiet, I will play on the same game again for a longer period, I was sat there at 93% usage for about 5 to 10 minutes and the temperature wouldn't go over 70oC, it will be interesting to see how you get on with your fans though, thank you. You mentioned about the noise of the corsair fans, I want to find a happy medium and I hope that I have it and the temperatures don't go much higher than 70oc as the noise is just right for the 100& rpm speed.

I would guess that at 99% usage on my setup that the card shouldn't go past 75oC though, 1600rpm doesn't seem to be fast enough to keep the card any cooler.

One thing that does baffle me though is that the fan runs at 70% rpm at 63oC but at 70oC it has to go up to 100% rpm, that's quite a jump in rpms in just a 7oc heat rise. Like Krakadoom said though, sufficient air flow on the case does keep the GPU from getting too hot.

P.S. I will assume that you are going to buy the quiet edition ones :p

Nope, I wanted the high rpm ones :D

Yeh, I wasn't suggesting you go get something else, your GPU is well within safe operating temperature. I had a use elsewhere for the Noctua fans so it made sense, and for 22 quid for two of the Corsair SP120 PWM fans, they represent pretty good value. Plus, they shift some air.

So I went out and got these, forgetting that the Noctuas were 92mm fans :o Still, I figured there must be a way to strap these two to the basic Palit GTX 1070, which also has a very basic heatsink. I've managed to do it, and the results are fairly good, although you'd expect that with a larger fan that shifts twice as much CFM.

Anyway, it used to idle around 30c and that's now down to 27c. Full load I was looking at between 75-78c with the Noctuas, the Corsairs keep it at a constant 66c. That said, I do spin 'em at 100% when at full load as they really aren't loud. It may not just be the fans though, I also bought two other items today, a 500Gb Samsung Evo and an external USB DVD writer. The reason for the DVD writer was so I could remove my 5.25" DVD writer, fit the new SSD in there and open up the top of the case a bit more to improve air flow. The case isn't the best, it's about 8 years old and the PSU is in the top. So I think doing this has helped as well because the CPU is also 5c cooler. I hardly used the internal DVD drive, so this was a no brainer. Plus, the new one is pretty nifty, plays audio CDs whereas the old one wouldn't.

Either way, I'm very happy with what I've done today :) I wanted the GPU to be a bit cooler and I've managed to do that, while also still keeping stuff quiet.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
I'm glad its how you want it finally :) I saw noise test of the high performance sp120 and it got loud at 2000 rpm what's Max rpm on yours? Is it the high perf one? So your full load on the previous set up did stop increasing the temperature before 80oc, that's reasuring :). Do you think the noctuas are the quietest? I mean, they only go to 1600 or so rpm so that explains some of the noise reduction, not sure what I'm going to do with it when summer arrives, just stick a desktop fan in front of the computer oscillating between it and I lol.

Last edited:
Associate
They do 2350 rpm max, but I don't find them that loud on max. I do have game sound up pretty loud though. The Noctuas are definitely quieter, but obviously don't push as much air. They did keep the temperature within safe limits though, so you should be okay.

GPU Boost works better as well, the temperature seems more stable. Afterburner shows almost 2Ghz clocks most of the time now, although overclocking further actually worsened temps and core speed. But that's how Pascal works. Backed off on the overclock a little and found the optimal setting. Like I say though, I also created space in the top of this not so good case, the CPU is also a bit cooler so that'll have had an effect too.

Edit: They also push 63 CFM of air.

Last edited:

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Cheers for that :) you're all set! I sometimes use the pre-set modes in GPUTweak 2 but usually only gaming mode, rarely OC mode, I dont mess about with it otherwise, the previous temps I mentioned were when the GPU idled at 40oc, it gets quite warm in here so I am a little worried about the summer months, perhaps, just avoid high GPU usage games if they get too hot, I looked at ways to attach an extra intake fan to the front of the case I'd probably have to cable tie one in the mid section of the drive bays, that may help reduce the temperature a little more.

Last edited:

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Did some more testing after installing the new exhaust fan, (a very nice 120mm Arctic rev 2, I'm a fan of these), managed to get the temp down another couple of degrees and then I managed to squeeze an NF B9 Redux 92mm, between the card and the back of the case to extract the hot air that sits in that area and bought a noctua fan controller for both exhausts so now in my most demanding game where GPU can sometimes stay at 95-100% usage I get 65oC max. All good and no war siren sounds. :)

Last edited:

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Here is my set up, I know it looks a bit messy but the cables are out of the way of the fans which is all I am bothered about https://ibb.co/nvauFw P.S the HHD is on sorbothane rubber discs out of the way of the intake fan and I have a Noctua fan controller connected to the lower exhaust fan as you can see it's leading out the back through the cooler tube hole :)

Associate
Here is my set up, I know it looks a bit messy but the cables are out of the way of the fans which is all I am bothered about https://ibb.co/nvauFw P.S the HHD is on sorbothane rubber discs out of the way of the intake fan and I have a Noctua fan controller connected to the lower exhaust fan as you can see it's leading out the back through the cooler tube hole :)

Looks familiar ;)

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
I have this set up now https://imgbb.co/nvauFw but after buying a 144hz G-Sync monitor and ditching my old 60hz one I need this new cooler plus I will be getting a nice new case to put it all in. These Noctua fans I used don't spin fast enough for the stock heat sink (should have checked the speeds first lol) plus over 60fps in high graphical games it just doesn't stay cool.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Associate
Alright, so for "reasons" I finally gave in trying to mod the cooler on this card and replaced it outright with a Raijintek Morpehus II. Basically I got a case that is much more open than the previous one and suddently 92mm fans running at 1200 rpm were quite noticeable. Here's a bit of info some may find helpful.

First, this is the before shot of my previous Frankenbuild:
gpu1.jpg

Here's a comparison of the size of the stock heatsink (which is actually REALLY tiny) and the Morpheus II. Keep in mind the perspective in the image makes them look a lot more similar in size than they actually are:
gpu2.jpg

This also shows the differences in heatsink size and design - note that the stock heatsink is basically 1 heatpipe to either side of the GPU core, whereas the Morpheus II has, count them, 6 heatpipes on either side. I'd estimate the volume of the new heatsink itself to be something like triple or quadruple of the stock one as well. So we're expecting massive gains here already. Comparison:
gpu3.jpg

Removing the heatsink is really easy, just pop off the screws on the bottom. However, the factory-applied thermal paste was COMPLETELY solidified, despite the card being not even 2 years old. This made it quite difficult to clean it off safely. I ended up softening it up with rubbing alcohol and a lint free rag, then gently picking the clumps on the sides off with a very fine point screwdriver and some patience. Actually, just replacing that terrible thermal paste with some Thermal Grizzly or something may yield a decent improvement in itself.
gpu5.jpg

This shot shows as much of the old paste removed from the core as I could get to without risking damaging any of the components near the die. Also I added heatsinks to the DRAM chips. Note that the VRM stage comes with as pre-installed heatsink (black one on the right), which is compatible with the Morpheus II, so that's good news. Here:
gpu6.jpg

I completed the build without taking any more photos I'm afraid, but it was really straightforward. Fit the mounting screws according to the manual, fit the retention bracket on the back, and put the two together. There ARE a few components on the back of the GPU die location that stick out and interfere with the retention bracket, but I mounted it on top of them anyway (it has a soft rubber surface that does give a little). Doesn't seem to have caused any issues.

Getting the fittings on the back and the front to actually attach through the card was a bit fiddly as the screws felt slightly short (probably due to the extra spacing caused by the components on the back), but a bit of careful nudging made it work.

I'll update with a few final photos once I get the proper fans for it. I only had 3-pin Noctua NF-S12B's laying around, so no RPM controlling at the moment and having to use flow optimized fans. Right now I have it running with those two 120mm fans at 675 RPM. It's virtually silent and under full load in Furmark I get around 58-59 C max. Idle it's somewhere mid 20's C which is only just above ambient temp in the room. Keep in mind with the old setup the fans would run at an audible 1200-1300'ish RPM and temps still be above close to 80 C at sustained full load.

Also keep in mind the Morpheus II being as large as it is may cause clearance problems depending on your case. I used the Fractal Design R6, and it does fit but barely (with the standard case layout - the alternate layout has way more space for gpu length). Have to introduce it into the case at a slight angle to get it in there, but once it's in it's completely fine. Also keep in mind it's a heavy heatsink. I built sort of a makeshift rubber bracket between the top of the fans and the bottom of the case to hold it up, so the board doesn't warp. Not sure it's neccessary but better safe than sorry here.

I've ordered some pressure optimized Noctua 120mm PWM fans to complete the build. I'll post an update once they're in with a few extra pictures and some temps.

The very best part though, is that before I got a peak GPU clock around 1890 Mhz or so and it throttled down or fluctuated fairly easily. With the new setup it sits rock steady just above 2000 MHz and possibly a bit more with some tweaking. Had it running CSGO at 2020 MHz with no FPS cap without problems. Highest I've seen it go in CSGO is 2038 MHz :)

I love this heatsink :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom