Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
I love Neoshell! It's so much better than Goretex, it's more breathable, doesn't sound like you're wearing a crisp packet and has a bit of stretch to it too. I really wanted some Neoshell trousers but couldn't find any that fit me right so had to stick to Goretex.
It's definitely quieter and more breathable but really does sacrifice water resistance in my experience. Had a pair of Rab neoshell trousers which cost over £200 and leaked like a sieve in anything remotely resembling heavy rain!
Now have a pair of goretex pro trousers which sound like I'm treading in crumpled paper but they do not leak one bit. Depends what's most important I guess!

hux

hux

Soldato
Also, any recommendations for good sunglasses suited to hiking in sunnier climes? Preferably some brand that won't make me look any more of a dork and/or douche.

Bolle tracker smoke, not polarized and yes they're safety specs, but they look ossum had plenty of compliments. They come with a strap/band and for 9 squid you're laughing and can treat them as you'd like to.

Edit - Seems they do have a polarized version hmm tempting.......

Soldato
Bolle tracker smoke, not polarized and yes they're safety specs, but they look ossum had plenty of compliments. They come with a strap/band and for 9 squid you're laughing and can treat them as you'd like to.

Edit - Seems they do have a polarized version hmm tempting.......

I bought some Cat4 cheap and nasties from Decathlon and they worked really well in the Alps, would look at their other stuff to be honest. Cheap and cheerful, no harm if you drop them or break them.

Soldato
It's definitely quieter and more breathable but really does sacrifice water resistance in my experience. Had a pair of Rab neoshell trousers which cost over £200 and leaked like a sieve in anything remotely resembling heavy rain!
Now have a pair of goretex pro trousers which sound like I'm treading in crumpled paper but they do not leak one bit. Depends what's most important I guess!

I bought a Neoshell jacket about 5 years ago and although it looks a bit abused it's still waterproof. I know a couple guides who use Neoshell trousers and they really rate them but annoyingly the sizing was really off for me so I ended up with a pair of Proshell instead. Maybe you just got unlucky with a Friday afternoon pair?

I bought some Cat4 cheap and nasties from Decathlon and they worked really well in the Alps, would look at their other stuff to be honest. Cheap and cheerful, no harm if you drop them or break them.

Decathlon do some decent stuff, their softshell trousers are easily as good as my much more expensive ME ones!

Soldato
I bought a Neoshell jacket about 5 years ago and although it looks a bit abused it's still waterproof. I know a couple guides who use Neoshell trousers and they really rate them but annoyingly the sizing was really off for me so I ended up with a pair of Proshell instead. Maybe you just got unlucky with a Friday afternoon pair?
http://www.climbgb.com/rabstretchneopantreviewmens.asp
it would appear not.. unless Rab made all of their trousers on a friday. Still glad you like yours - will stick with my noisy yet waterproof goretex pro for now :)

Soldato
recently got into the great outdoors. something in my head seems to of switched the last few months I just don't want to be inside.

only been out a few times due to commitments and the Mrs, been up Mam tor for the day and around Dovedale. going over to Pen y Fan next weekend.

I look like a Rab fanboy, having the rab factory shop 5 minutes from my work and a brother who works at go outdoors and gets obscene discount but hes left his job now.

anyone recommend any nice walks for a novice. peak district is nice and close just hard picking destinations to go

Caporegime
Neoshell feels great in the shop but is just not that wind or water proof. It performs much closer to most soft-shells. I like soft shells for comfort, but if you need something that actually dependably water and wind proof then nothing compares to Goretex Pro shell.

Soldato
I've worn mine winter climbing in Scotland for a few seasons and I've never been any more wet than if I'd been wearing my Proshell jacket. The fact that Lochaber MRT use Jottnar neoshell gear is a pretty decent review of it's effectiveness in my mind.

Soldato
recently got into the great outdoors. something in my head seems to of switched the last few months I just don't want to be inside.

only been out a few times due to commitments and the Mrs, been up Mam tor for the day and around Dovedale. going over to Pen y Fan next weekend.

I look like a Rab fanboy, having the rab factory shop 5 minutes from my work and a brother who works at go outdoors and gets obscene discount but hes left his job now.

anyone recommend any nice walks for a novice. peak district is nice and close just hard picking destinations to go

Hey - You can buy guide books on Amazon that have routes for all the national parks. Failing that, get routes from the AA web site - http://www.theaa.com/walk-and-bike-ride.

Personally I think the books are your best bet. They have info about the route, pubs to stop at and usually a reasonable map.

Associate

This site might be of interest http://www.go4awalk.com/

There is a huge range of walks covering all areas and abilities. I've used it extensively for completing the Wainwright Peaks in the Lake District and found the route descriptions to be pretty good/accurate. You do have to pay to download though.

Soldato
Scarpa (me) and Salomon (mrs) here.. awesome, we've covered a couple of hundred miles at least in them and they're good as new.

The one thing that isn't hurting after a 15ml hike on the SWCP is my feet.

Soldato
I bought some goretex pro trousers and my god are they noisy - it’s just ludicrous.

re-watching bit of bourne movie last night and curious about goretex jackets they used

Product's description Arc'teryx has earned a reputation in the outdoor industry for making some of the toughest gear available. Arc'teryx doesn't pull any punches when it designs its gear. Nowhere is this more evident than its SV line of clothing--the burliest clothing that Arc'teryx makes. For 2013, Arc'teryx redesigned its venerable Alpha SV Jacket around a high-density nylon face fabric with a Gore-Tex Pro 3L laminate to make it just as tough as before, but now quieter and more supple. To earn the Arc'teryx SV (severe weather) moniker, the Alpha SV jacket had to be tough. And, of course, this is Arc'teryx, so when we say tough, we mean bulletproof. The jacket's main body fabric is N80p-Gore-Tex Pro 3-layer. N80p is a high-density nylon weave. The high-density construction minimizes the yarns' exposure to abrasion, which reduces damage to filaments to maintain surface integrity. A durable micro-grid woven backer reduces weight and further resists abrasion. What all that means is years of guaranteed waterproof breathabl

personally use a smock type goretex (schofel) which I still think is better for skiing, such that if you have a big wipe-out, with legs in all directions, you do not end up taking-out/stressing the zip.

hux

hux

Soldato
Scarpa (me) and Salomon (mrs) here.. awesome, we've covered a couple of hundred miles at least in them and they're good as new.

The one thing that isn't hurting after a 15ml hike on the SWCP is my feet.

Scarpa r-evo gtx here and love them, am looking at Salewa as many rate them.
The boots are great but find myself needing something not so heavyweight.
Salomon I always wear away the heel cup.

Soldato
Scarpa r-evo gtx here and love them, am looking at Salewa as many rate them.
The boots are great but find myself needing something not so heavyweight.
Salomon I always wear away the heel cup.

Have you considered trail/approach shoes? I generally only wear boots if it's wet or I need to wear crampons.

Associate
Have you considered trail/approach shoes? I generally only wear boots if it's wet or I need to wear crampons.

So all the ii me in the UK? :D

I've always stuck with boots but recently bought a pair of Gore-tex trail shoes. Not yet had a chance to give them a proper test in the unpredictable UK weather.
Went for Gore-tex as even if the weather is good the ground can still be very wet if trudging through longer grass or even crossing shallow streams.

Back
Top Bottom