Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

hux

hux

Soldato
Have you considered trail/approach shoes? I generally only wear boots if it's wet or I need to wear crampons.
That's what I'm thinking with Salewa, good reviews if not great just wondered if they had much love here.
Might just take one for the team.

Soldato
I'll be looking for a new tent shortly, ideally something suitable for both family camping and backpacking, 3 man should be ideal (well, 2.5 man :p) as it will either be me, me + a buddy, or me + Gf + child.

Couple of options I've been eyeing up, in no particular order:

MSR Elixir 3
Vango Nova 300+
Vango Halo 300 Pro or XD
OEX Husky 3
OEX Coyote 3

Edging towards the MSR based on weight and stability against the weather or the Nova 300+ or Coyote based on size, but to be honest I'm not sure which.

Any recommendations/experience of the above or alternatives welcome :)

Ideally from Go Outdoors as I can get a discount there, but if there is equivalent from elsewhere for significantly cheaper, then by all means suggest away :)

Budget is ~£250 go outdoors, ~£200 anywhere else

Thanks!

Associate
I have the Vango Nova 300 (not the + model) and it's been great so far with just me and the Mrs on a number of wild camps. Same size sleeping area but the + model has the larger porch so a tad heavier. Would be ok for two adults and a child but will be snug! I use an extra ground sheet underneath though just for added protection from wet and stones etc.

I think the MSR is inner pitched first so if it's raining you need to get the inner pitched quick before putting the flysheet on. The Vangos can be pitched all in one which is a reason I went with one (camping in unpredictable UK weather.) It doesn't bother some people but a niggle for me. The MSR overall is the better tent, hence the price but I just don't like the inner pitch first. It's also free standing so can erect it and move it around to the ideal spot/orientation if you're not entirely happy before pegging it down fully.

In regards to stability required, it depends where you're camping and what time of year and in what conditions.

Soldato
Hmm, good point about the pitch order, that is a pain!

Quoted weight difference between the MSR and the Nova 300+ is ~400g, not sure how much of a difference that would make in reality?

Edit: out of interest, what makes the MSR the "better tent" overall?

In terms of conditions, not planning on camping on top of any exposed mountains in the near future, family trips will be campsites, I do have a wild camping trip coming up in scotland with a few mates, but that's going to be in august, so probably just rain rather than particularly stormy (famous last words...)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hmm, good point about the pitch order, that is a pain!

Quoted weight difference between the MSR and the Nova 300+ is ~400g, not sure how much of a difference that would make in reality?

In terms of conditions, not planning on camping on top of any exposed mountains in the near future, family trips will be campsites, I do have a wild camping trip coming up in scotland with a few mates, but that's going to be in august, so probably just rain rather than particularly stormy (famous last words...)

Don't do it. Midges mzn. MIDGES!!!!!

Associate
Only had a midge attack once and it was minor (around 20 bites dotted about in the end) but is was absolutely awful.

If anybody is interested, the Trail magazine 1 year subscription offer (£60) is a free Primus Lite Stove and free one year OS map subscription.
I thinks it's a great offer. Am tempted even though I don't need the stove.

£6 Quidco cashback as well!

Last edited:
Soldato
Only had a midge attack once and it was minor (around 20 bites dotted about in the end) but is was absolutely awful.

If anybody is interested, the Trail magazine 1 year subscription offer (£60) is a free Primus Lite Stove and free one year OS map subscription.
I thinks it's a great offer. Am tempted even though I don't need the stove.

£6 Quidco cashback as well!

Damn that's tempting! I need a stove as well, was looking at spending around that much anyway on something like a jetboil or coleman fyrestorm... are primus stoves still as good as they used to be? I remember my mum used to have one of the old paraffin ones that you had to pump by hand, absolutely bullet proof!

Grew up on the edge of a big area of moorland in scotland, so i know how nasty the midges can be, will be taking plenty of jungle formula and citronella candles ;)

Edit: ended up going for that offer, £56 for a nice little stove and OS maps for a year (will come in handy), free 2 year digital magazine :p

Last edited:
Associate
I use a Jet Boil Minimo which is a tad bigger but holds more water (better for 2 people) and has a better control for simmering. So on a low heat can simmer meals direct in the pot rather than "boil in the bag" type.
Managed to nab one the other year on sale. Wouldn't pay the current prices which are over £110 I think.

The Fyrestorm looks half decent, bigger pot so probably better for 2 or 3 of you than the Primus.
If you're going to camp sites and are near the car, maybe just get a standard camping stove for £10-15 and use the cheap £1 butane bottles you pick up from B&M etc. Bulkier but more flexible with own pots and pans. Then a small portable stove for you when you're out wildcamping. Lighter and more compact.

Edit: Just seen your edit!
I subscribed too!

Soldato
I use a Jet Boil Minimo which is a tad bigger but holds more water (better for 2 people) and has a better control for simmering.

The Minimo is a fantastic piece of kit, although mine is a bit melted. I lent it to my mate last year as his stove was taking too long and he used a pan on top of it instead of the supplied cup which caused it to catch fire. It ended up melting all the plastic around it and breaking the ignition. Luckily I managed to source a new ignition for it!

Soldato
I have one of those portable hob in a suitcase type ones for campsite trips, great as you can use all sorts of pans on it, but totally impractical if you have to carry it more than a few 100m from the car!

Might grab the Fyrestorm anyway, as you say more useful for groups, and if nothing else, a second/backup stove for family trips :)

Associate
The Minimo is a fantastic piece of kit, although mine is a bit melted. I lent it to my mate last year as his stove was taking too long and he used a pan on top of it instead of the supplied cup which caused it to catch fire. It ended up melting all the plastic around it and breaking the ignition. Luckily I managed to source a new ignition for it!

What part melted? You mean the blue (or black) piece of the actual burner?
I played with the idea of using other pans on it without buying the actual (over priced) adapter but maybe not! LOL!
The only issue with mine is that the locking slots for the burner on the cup can be a bit to tight. Meaning I want to twist the cup off (containing my hot food) but it won't twist off the burner without a bit of force. Meaning I've got to be careful that the hot food/liquid doesn't go everywhere.

I have one of those portable hob in a suitcase type ones for campsite trips, great as you can use all sorts of pans on it, but totally impractical if you have to carry it more than a few 100m from the car!

Might grab the Fyrestorm anyway, as you say more useful for groups, and if nothing else, a second/backup stove for family trips :)

My emergency backup is one of those kidney shaped aluminium army mugs and an esbit stove (Can use the Esbit tabs, a tiny alcohol stove I made or just some twigs.) I take the mug with me anyway and the Esbit and fuel fits inside.
Not a fan of campsites as I like the isolation and quiet of kipping in the middle of nowhere but with a kid it's ideal. The Mrs hasn't popped out one yet so got that to look forward to!

Soldato
What part melted? You mean the blue (or black) piece of the actual burner?
I played with the idea of using other pans on it without buying the actual (over priced) adapter but maybe not! LOL!
The only issue with mine is that the locking slots for the burner on the cup can be a bit to tight. Meaning I want to twist the cup off (containing my hot food) but it won't twist off the burner without a bit of force. Meaning I've got to be careful that the hot food/liquid doesn't go everywhere.

Yeh, it was the black plastic piece of the actual burner. Luckily it's only cosmetic and the replacement ignition was only a few quid, just annoying as it was fairly new as well at the time. Probably not advisable to use without the adapter..

Soldato
My emergency backup is one of those kidney shaped aluminium army mugs and an esbit stove (Can use the Esbit tabs, a tiny alcohol stove I made or just some twigs.) I take the mug with me anyway and the Esbit and fuel fits inside.
Not a fan of campsites as I like the isolation and quiet of kipping in the middle of nowhere but with a kid it's ideal. The Mrs hasn't popped out one yet so got that to look forward to!

Hehe, my only experience of those hexi stoves was in air cadets... was interesting (a couple of the guys didn't take the warnings about toxicity seriously and ended up spending a several hours in the infirmary!)

Unfortunately wild camping is my GF's idea of hell, and our son is only 6, so a little young for 10 mile hikes still :p

Man of Honour
So I've finally chosen a hardshell jacket: ARC'TERYX - Beta SL Hybrid Jacket. The best price I've seen so far for a medium size is £267.26 at Alpine Trek. I don't suppose anyone's found a better deal on their internet browsing?

Caporegime
First time to Helvellyn today, up Striding and down Swirral edge. Not done much knife edge walking before so it was definitely an experience, thankfully the weather was glorious I wouldn't fancy doing it in the wet!

Man of Honour
I've been canoeing from Fort William to Inverness over the last week, wild camping in some amazing spots along the way.

jhsagz.jpg

20gi3gz.jpg

35d6i3c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom