Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
More great info

Thanks so much Switch. Yeah, I've been watching Shug's videos for a couple of weeks now. He was one of the first sources I found when I started to ponder hammocking as an alternative to tent camping. And yeah, I should have guessed the name of the hammock forum. :D

Thanks again for all the great info. I'll check back in with further questions I'm sure, and will update the thread if/when I make the plunge!

Soldato
I have a pair of micro spikes (second link) and use them fairly regularly in when hiking in the mountains in winter. They’re very good at what they’re designed for, hiking up trails on hardpack and ice and realistically unless you’re going mountaineering then you don’t really need a full set of crampons. If you’re likely to start needing to kick in or going off path then they’re probably not the equipment needed...

I’ll get flamed but realistically you’re likely to be fine with them. As seen in the Everest Base camp thread people tend to err on the extreme “safe”/overkill side of advice on this forum!

That said only you know your limits and experience...

As a brief follow up, we used the micro spikes throughout the trip and they worked fine. We took some pliers with us to reattached chains and links whenever they came loose, but they did the trick perfectly. That said, we stuck to largely good paths but did divert or turn back on a couple of occasions due to the weather. The first day walking up Pike O'Blisco was a lot of fun, 1m deep snow coming back off the other side of it. Around -7C on the peak meant lunch was a rapid and painful affair. One of our group had sprained an ankle 6 weeks before, so we abandoned our trip across Crinkle Crags to Bowfell after Blisco, as the clouds drew in and the pub beckoned.

The next day was the most severe, walking up the Band towards Bowfell. The locals in the pub that night said the local mountain report indicated were we in 100mph winds and a windchill of -30C... but I reckon it was more like 80mph and -20C. Either way, we got halfway up before knocking it on the head. The wind was such that even if we'd got round to the top of Bowfell, wouldn't have been able to see much. On our fourth day we did Stickle Ghyll, Harrison Stickle, Loft Crag and Pike O'Stickle, everything covered in snow but the sun was out. I've done that walk many times before, but those conditions were by far my favourite. A fair amount of hard crust on the snow was easily doable in the micro spikes. Ice axe wasn't needed on any days, but I used poles for the first time due to knee injuries, and they were a fantastic support.

Looks like we'll be back in Langdale for Christmas.

Soldato
Hi, I'm off to Cairngorms on 23rd March as a group of 4. Looking for recommendations on walks/hikes and anything else around the area.
We're staying in Newtonmore for 7 nights.

Soldato
This may not exist but worth asking... Is there a Gore-tex jacket that can be used all year, is breathable and can used for both cycling and hiking/climbing in all weathers (apart from sun) ??

Soldato
You'd be better off with a couple! I've got a lightweight summer one and a heavier weight one. It's worth checking out Neoshell stuff too, I really rate it over Goretex and it doesn't have the annoying crisp packet sound.

Soldato
You'd be better off with a couple! I've got a lightweight summer one and a heavier weight one. It's worth checking out Neoshell stuff too, I really rate it over Goretex and it doesn't have the annoying crisp packet sound.

If I can get 1 that does what I need then I'd rather avoid spending more money on twice as many jackets that I'll only wear for half the time

Was looking at the Mountain Equipment Lhotse but can't seem to find any reviews on whether it's ok for cycling and whether it's summer vs winter or all season

Soldato
I wear something similar to that one for winter climbing and thrutching around rock. It doesn't pack down very small for summer use when you aren't expecting to wear it and I definitely wouldn't want to wear it cycling.. I'd cook!

If I can get 1 that does what I need then I'd rather avoid spending more money on twice as many jackets that I'll only wear for half the time

They'll also last twice as long though because you're wearing them half as much! :D

Soldato
I wear something similar to that one for winter climbing and thrutching around rock. It doesn't pack down very small for summer use when you aren't expecting to wear it and I definitely wouldn't want to wear it cycling.. I'd cook!

So not really suitable for summer ? More late Autumn/Winter/Early Spring ?

Soldato
Hi, I'm off to Cairngorms on 23rd March as a group of 4. Looking for recommendations on walks/hikes and anything else around the area.
We're staying in Newtonmore for 7 nights.

Corrieyarrick would be a good walk from there. Would need to be an out and back as there's no option for a loop but you could set out early and head to Ft Augustus for lunch before waking back.

A loop around Ben Alder would be nice too.

Caporegime

Was looking at the Mountain Equipment Lhotse but can't seem to find any reviews on whether it's ok for cycling and whether it's summer vs winter or all season

It is basically unavoidable though. You may be paying for twice as many jackets, but they will last twice as long and you will be infinitely more comfortable in the process.
Winter is very different to summer so i don't know why you would expect a piece of clothing designed for one would work well in the other season.

Keep you eyes open for close out sales and the like. You can get jackets for half price then.

Soldato
Winter is very different to summer so i don't know why you would expect a piece of clothing designed for one would work well in the other season.

Keep you eyes open for close out sales and the like. You can get jackets for half price then.

Well the logic was come winter I can just wear a fleece/thermals underneath the jacket to compensate for a lack of insulation which would be inevitable for an all season jacket

It's more important for me to be waterproof and breathable than a good heat insulator as that is far more easier to compensate than a lack of waterproofing/breathability.

I'll just have to keep an eye out for something cheap"ish" for summer waterproofing I guess

Caporegime
Well the logic was come winter I can just wear a fleece/thermals underneath the jacket to compensate for a lack of insulation which would be inevitable for an all season jacket

It's more important for me to be waterproof and breathable than a good heat insulator as that is far more easier to compensate than a lack of waterproofing/breathability.

I'll just have to keep an eye out for something cheap"ish" for summer waterproofing I guess

Well i was assuming shells without insulation. i would avoid any kind fo insulated jacket for precisely those reasons. Especially because you might want insulation without the water&wind proof shell which lower breath-ability.

The problem is in summer you want soemthing small, light and and easily squeezed up into a small pouch etc., without much bulk or excess space for thick clothing underneath. You want to maximize breath-ability, even at the cost fo waterproofness. In winter you want something longer, more robust and sized better to allow additional under clothing, bigger hood and a greater emphasis on protection rather than size. For cycling you will want something that is highly breathable but gives good protection at the fornt, and is sized for the sitting position witha longer back and shorter fornt.

Soldato

The Lhotse is definitely too long for cycling.

Associate
Could try a 2.5 layer jacket. Mine is lightweight and has decent pit zips for better ventilation and took a few hours in rain to start to wet out.
Generally not designed for constant every day all day use though (3 layer more durable.)
Easy to roll up and pack away, ideal for me hiking/camping and the price won't break the bank. Can just layer up in colder weather.

Soldato
The Lhotse is definitely too long for cycling.
Depends how tall you are....mine isn't long at all, but im 6'6" :p

I wear it year round and layer up and down, its been to the lakes, the Alps and the Himalayas, but with anything waterproof, breathe-ability can become an issue when its warm. Im hearing good things about Neoshell for this kind of activity. It is apparently far more breathable but slightly less windproof and waterproof than a Goretex pro shell for example. Worth a look.

Soldato
Im hearing good things about Neoshell for this kind of activity. It is apparently far more breathable but slightly less windproof and waterproof than a Goretex pro shell for example. Worth a look.

I love Neoshell! It's so much better than Goretex, it's more breathable, doesn't sound like you're wearing a crisp packet and has a bit of stretch to it too. I really wanted some Neoshell trousers but couldn't find any that fit me right so had to stick to Goretex.

Man of Honour
I bought some goretex pro trousers and my god are they noisy - it’s just ludicrous. Too large anyway so probably going back.... have ordered some outdoor research forays to compare them with. Shame as I got them for £130 which was quite cheap.

Soldato

I bought a north face summit goretex shell about 10 years ago in a sale rack, something like that will do what you want.

I've used it for everything from snowboarding in -25C before the howling windchill in Japan, through summer music festivals and cycling all year round. It's completely rain/wind/snow proof and for insulation you just layer up depending on the weather. Even after being whipped through tree branches off piste and similarly abused getting covered in road filth cycling, it still looks brand new. Best bit of clothing I've ever bought!

Soldato
I love Neoshell! It's so much better than Goretex, it's more breathable, doesn't sound like you're wearing a crisp packet and has a bit of stretch to it too. I really wanted some Neoshell trousers but couldn't find any that fit me right so had to stick to Goretex.

Yeah its looking like my next shell will be Neoshell rather than Goretex. Assuming I can find one that fits my extra lanky frame.

Back
Top Bottom