Ubisoft FarCry 5 'are you ready' thread just shown up....

Permabanned
Literally had nothing to do but play this these past few days, probably 20 hours or so in now.

If I'm being honest, I don't like it. The main narrative feels so perfunctory which isn't helped by the fact that everything else feels completely disjointed and unfocused. I loved 3 and 4 because the game always gave me something to do that was clear and concise.

"OK, I need to go hear to get 10 bear arses for a wallet. Whilst I'm there, I'll have a look for all the treasure dotted about and keep my eye out for any side missions."

Here, stuff just happens randomly with no sense of context. The game just throws stuff at you for fear of you getting bored for 3 minutes.

Associate
Literally had nothing to do but play this these past few days, probably 20 hours or so in now.

If I'm being honest, I don't like it. The main narrative feels so perfunctory which isn't helped by the fact that everything else feels completely disjointed and unfocused. I loved 3 and 4 because the game always gave me something to do that was clear and concise.

"OK, I need to go hear to get 10 bear arses for a wallet. Whilst I'm there, I'll have a look for all the treasure dotted about and keep my eye out for any side missions."

Here, stuff just happens randomly with no sense of context. The game just throws stuff at you for fear of you getting bored for 3 minutes.

Yep I'm with you there. Zelda: BOTW has done it right, this hasn't.

Soldato
It's a good game but I know it's going to get repetitive quite quick. (6hrs played so far)

I'm actually looking forward to all the season pass DLC more than the main game.

Permabanned
It's not 'bad' so much as it is dull and a little uninspired. No real depth to any of the characters or story in general, no reason to hunt or search for treasure past a certain point and all the cool weapons are locked behind a paywall.

Soldato
Just finishing off the last bits of the first area as I move onto the 2nd and I have to agree - so far it's been average, this is with 10hrs played. Lovely engine and world that they've created but I don't feel an incentive to explore like I did in FC4. Maybe we're judging this way too early and things get better in the latter areas?

Each category of vehicle seems identical so what is the point or progression in buying a better chopper for example? There are like 4 that cost $7600 and have machine guns and rockets and that's it. The ingame store is basically a 'live' webpage wrapper in order for Ubi to easily add content in future. The guns are great but I can't see the point in swapping out my existing setup that I've used for ages - an RPG launcher, LMG and a Sniper Rifle that you're awarded as part of a key mission.

Soldato
I kinda get what you guys are saying however for me the world, atmosphere and sheer brilliance of the graphics and engine please me no end and no doubt Ubi will add to it with the DLC which I am happy to pay for. Superb world and one of the best for me, I’m sure origins is up there also

I have never bought FC4 so that was purchased today to start alongside this.

Permabanned
Do you have to pay real money to get weapons and stuff ? That's ridiculous :(

Well, There's a 'premium' currency you can buy, but also find in game. You get it a complete snails pace though. Been playing for around 20 hours and I almost have 100, the cheapest weapon that I could find costs 300 and there's about 20 of them with no way (as I could see) to even try them out. Ubisoft being Ubisoft.

I kinda get what you guys are saying however for me the world, atmosphere and sheer brilliance of the graphics and engine please me no end and no doubt Ubi will add to it with the DLC which I am happy to pay for. Superb world and one of the best for me, I’m sure origins is up there also

I have never bought FC4 so that was purchased today to start alongside this.

FC4 is just better imo. It's design is cleaner and the plot and character arcs aren't so ridiculously contrived and lazy. People have a go at the towers, camp clearing mechanics and hunting, but that's what far cry IS and it works perfectly in service to the narrative. 5 just feels incoherent and messy.

Associate
Picked up a copy and started this last night, enjoyed what I've played so far though parts of the world seem a bit empty and overly quiet.
The story is very poor and just feels like it's was tagged on last minute rather than the world being built around a story.

I quite like the gameplay and the visuals are nice.
The game is insanely easy, really hoping for DLC or a patch to up the difficulty... doesn't help that the outposts that you liberate are almost empty. The most enemies I've seen in one so far was 8, 6 regular guys, one sniper and one armoured guy.

Not sure if it's just the way I'm looking at the game, but does this game feel a bit like a very small Just Cause game but without all of the big explosions to anyone else?
That perception was probably not helped much by the early unlock of a wingsuit...

Soldato
Well, There's a 'premium' currency you can buy, but also find in game. You get it a complete snails pace though. Been playing for around 20 hours and I almost have 100, the cheapest weapon that I could find costs 300 and there's about 20 of them with no way (as I could see) to even try them out. Ubisoft being Ubisoft.

FC4 is just better imo. It's design is cleaner and the plot and character arcs aren't so ridiculously contrived and lazy. People have a go at the towers, camp clearing mechanics and hunting, but that's what far cry IS and it works perfectly in service to the narrative. 5 just feels incoherent and messy.
Tbh I can't see the point in the bars - just yet. After 10hrs I've accumulated 78k at the end of the first area. Most guns cost 3-4k and you have a max 3 weapon slots at any given time. I've got 120 bars (apparently each outpost has a quantity) but I've never had to even consider them into my purchases. This is why I believe Ubisoft will add a lot of overpriced gear later in the game GTA style to try and steer the game in the same manner ala Shark Cards, otherwise what is the real point given you can easily earn money ingame?

I do agree that Ubisoft will have a lot of DLC planned for the game as they'd hardly want to let go of a good thing such as this.

Soldato
Most Ubisoft games of recent years have been top notch and well worth the purchase.

This is basically FC3 re-skinned in a very polished way.

Permabanned
Not knocking there development teams, more there general business practices. Though, I've experienced more bugs in this game then in 1 or 2 so far.

Associate
I want to get this, but is it not a bit samey and repetitive like Ghost Wildlands?
From what I've played so far, it appears to be like that.
A lot of go here and blow this up, go over there and liberate these people or that place... or you can just drive/run around and cause trouble until the influence meter fills up and the story tries to interrupt your fun.

Saying that, I'm still enjoying it.

Back
Top Bottom