What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
You Were Never Really Here

Just fantastic. Phoenix has long been one of the best in the business and his performance here does nothing to tarnish his record. Lynne Ramsay continues to be one of the most underrated directors in modern film history. Her work here is nothing short of stunning. It's the type of gutsy filmmaking that you rarely ever see these days. Fantastic stuff!

Killing of a Sacred Deer

Damn... Having not seen any of Yorgos Lanthimos's flciks before now, I wasn't quite ready for this. Completely bizzare in almost every respect. Jet black comedy with hugely sinister undertones. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. There's some cool allegories in there to take away once it's finished, but overall I couldn't really say I was a fan, more just glad that I'd watched it.

Really looking forward to seeing you were never really here. Looks right up my alley.

Really enjoyed killing of a sacred deer. Very good film.

Have you seen the lobster? Another quirky lanthimos film worth a watch.

Permabanned
Really looking forward to seeing you were never really here. Looks right up my alley.

Really enjoyed killing of a sacred deer. Very good film.

Have you seen the lobster? Another quirky lanthimos film worth a watch.

It's fantastic, not at all what I expected it too be. Probably because I didn't know it was a Lynne Ramsey flick xD

I haven't yet no. It's on the list for sure though!

Soldato
It's fantastic, not at all what I expected it too be. Probably because I didn't know it was a Lynne Ramsey flick xD

I haven't yet no. It's on the list for sure though!

Just trying to twist the Mrs arm into watching it. She doesn't fancy it for some reason :(

I love stuff like sacred deer and the lobster. Quirky, weird and dark films that are a bit different.

Much prefer this sort of thing to Hollywood CGI cookie cutter blockbusters :)

Permabanned
Just trying to twist the Mrs arm into watching it. She doesn't fancy it for some reason :(

I love stuff like sacred deer and the lobster. Quirky, weird and dark films that are a bit different.

Much prefer this sort of thing to Hollywood CGI cookie cutter blockbusters :)

I like it all if I'm honest. Wouldn't mind seeing a little more variety at the multiplexes (which is why you should pay to see indie/art house flicks wherever you can), but overall I just love film :)

Associate
Game Over, Man. On netflix, 2.5/10. Would not recommend, supposedly a comedy but I laughed maybe twice. And I spend a lot of time watching family guy so I'm easily amused...

Soldato
The greatest showman...9/10

Wasn't expecting much and thought I would fall asleep but I loved it,not normally my type of film but could have watched it again,music was pretty good and the story had a few tear moments.

Soldato
Game Over Man! - 2/10 - I wish it was Game Over as this was garbage.

Remo Williams, The Adventure Begins - 4/10 -
I loved this as a kid but it's aged awfully and the "witty" one liners between Remo and his instructor aren't anywhere near as funny as I remembered them to be. The only good stuff really is the stunt work which is very good and Kate Mulgrew (Captain Janeway in Star Trek) who is the only actor not to chew up the scenery with their dialogue.

Last edited:
Soldato
You were never really here 8/10

Fantastic film this, one of the best I've seen this year so far.

It's intelligent, violent without actually showing violence and highly atmospheric. Superb performance from Joaquin phoenix too.

Brilliant.

Associate
Ghost Stories (2018) - 6/10

Traditional horror which evolves into psychological horror, but is ultimately let down by not being scary beyond the odd jump scare.

The plot is cleverly put together, has great acting and uses the British setting well, but the ending is a bit of a letdown and overall, it felt underwhelming.

Soldato
Ghost Stories (2018) - 6/10

Traditional horror which evolves into psychological horror, but is ultimately let down by not being scary beyond the odd jump scare.

The plot is cleverly put together, has great acting and uses the British setting well, but the ending is a bit of a letdown and overall, it felt underwhelming.

4/10 for me. Pretty weak as a horror and a weak ending.

Caporegime
Love, Simon.

Okay, this is unexpected, what a movie, what a coming of age of a film. In many ways I think this is better than Lady Bird. This is more polished and more Hollywood but it is totally enjoyable. Everything from the characterisations, to breaking the 4th wall moments; the secondary characters are all grounded, even the supporting parents are handled well. Sure it is predictable but it was so good, totally did not see this coming, I wasn't even going to bother to watch this but I can wholeheartedly say this is one of the better movies of this kind in the past few years.

Amazing.

Soldato
The Last Jedi - 3/10. And that's being generous. I fall firmly into the camp of really not enjoying it. Couple of reasonable scenes, but enough nonsense and plot issues coupled with being genuinely bored throughout the film left me really disappointed!

Soldato
I haven't seen it yet. See it's on home release now. Not sure if I'll bother. All these new films have diluted the romance the Star Wars franchise once had for me. Now it's just a Disney cash cow.

Back
Top Bottom