*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
@Marvt74 I had the same issue with my edgerouter and BT. The username they suggested wasn't the right format. I just did some googling and one chap said for his voda username he had to append it with:

After a bit of searching on the Kits forum found out that the username should have after it "@broadband.vodafone.co.uk"

Soldato
Yeah thats the username i'm using. The HG612 connects to Vodafone perfectly well and if i use it to feed the WAN port of my Asus router everything works perfectly so i know that's not the issue.

@chrisd If all the ISP settings are dealt with by the USG what do i enter in all the fields on the hg612 then? Or should i just reset it to defaults?

Man of Honour
Reset the 612 to defaults and then put the details in the USG. It sounds as if you're using the routing element of the 612, you don't need it.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Yup, as ChrisD said, leave the 612 in defaults; you want everything to be effectively managed by the USG. Once you've done that it should be a little more plain sailing.

Soldato
Ah ok. Fingers crossed for tonight then!

I've also managed to do something stupid where i can't login to the unifi controller setup on my Pi. It tells me the username/password is wrong. Think my plan is just to start from scratch with everything!

Another night away from the wife it is!

Which of you wants to send me your mobile number for live support? :D

Soldato
Another thing

I noticed that on the back of some images i've seen there are 4 ports, with one being labelled VOIP. On mine it shows as LAN2/WAN2. I've read conflicting things online but does that mean i can use both ports? It would mean not having to use a switch after all if i could connect 2 access points directly to the USG

Associate
@Marvt74 With regards to network cables, the only real difference I've found seem to be the connectors, cheap ones the clips seems to break off quite easily and brings to mind the buy cheap buy twice phrase. I usually get them off eBay, if doing the same look through a sellers shop, and also check their feedback, whilst it means very little these days it can sometimes give an indication of if they're sending out utter rubbish.

With regards to network setup, I've got the HG612 Lan1 connected to the USG Wan1, on initial setup the USG gave an IP address out to the PC I was using, I navigated to http://192.168.1.1, logged in (I can't remember the login details but they should be easy enough to find online) once logged into the USG I setup the internet connection using PPPoE and the username and password - a lot of the time the username and password is irrelevant, for BT I put both as [email protected]. after that I logged into the controller and adopted the USG and from that it just seemed to work. The main reason the internet connection has to be setup before you can adopt it is because of the cloud key integration.

Soldato
Another thing

I noticed that on the back of some images i've seen there are 4 ports, with one being labelled VOIP. On mine it shows as LAN2/WAN2. I've read conflicting things online but does that mean i can use both ports? It would mean not having to use a switch after all if i could connect 2 access points directly to the USG
The pictures are from when the USG was first released they have since repurposed the port to be more useful.

Soldato
Excellent. I wondered if i had a weird model or something.

@Jamauk - Thanks a lot for your post. It gives me something to work from so to clarify the steps would be

1 - Reset everything to defaults to fix anything i've messed up so far!
2 - Re-Configure the Raspberry Pi and install the controller software. Set a static IP - Say 192.168.1.5
3 - Connect HG612 to USG
4 - Connect USG to my laptop - Go to 192.168.1.1 and set up the PPPoE. I presume i can test this works by my laptop being able to see an internet connection
5 - Unplug the USG from my laptop and plug it into the switch.
6 - Plug the Raspberry pi and Access points into the switch
7 - Using the laptop log into the raspberry pi unifi controller using 192.168.1.5:8443
8 - Go through settings on the controller to adopt the 3 Unifi devices (USG and 2x AP's)
9 - Cross fingers and pray everything works?

I think part of why i struggled last night was that i couldn't seem to get access to the RPi when connected to the switch. Does the USG still do a job of setting up a network/routing devices before it's adopted and setup?

I presume doing all the above would mean that there is no IP address for the HG612 modem and therefore no way to access the inbuilt GUI?

Associate
Once the USG is connected it will automatically start working as a generic router on 192.168.1.1, if I remember correctly from the setup page it is quite simply asking for connection type (PPPoE for the HG612), username, password & cloud controller (if applicable), you can probably change some DHCP settings for the network through that but only at a basic level - not something I really dabbled with as I already had the controller installed on a PC for the access points. I was very very cautious of it all when I set it up 1-2 months ago, even leaving my old router not connected but powered on ready to go back to if none of it worked! Somewhat conscientious of other people in the house that might want to be online.

It's a long time ago that I unleashed the GUI features of my HG612 so I may be completely wrong, I think by default (on Lan2) it was 192.168.1.1, I setup a laptop with a static IP (something like 192.168.1.100), connected it up to the Lan2 port and logged into the modem and set the IP of it to 192.168.1.2 then connected the modem up to the network and the laptop back to DHCP and carried on from there.

Edit; Yes those steps look correct. One of those things I just sort of did and by some miracle it worked. And yes, if it is connected to the internet then you will be able to browse from the laptop connected directly to the USG, think of the Lan port on the USG as just being a port on a router.

If you have the option it might be an idea to get the HG612 connected to the internet before hand and then swap things over to the USG, keeping the HG612 powered on as at least you know then that the modem was connected and sending/receiving packets of data. That's how I did things anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
We've had a lot of work done to our house over the last 12 months.. For some reason my AC-Pro now wont give me WIFI in my garden. I've lost around 50Ft???

So without moving the AP. Which AP am I best going with for long range. We are now limited to were we can fit it. Plastering etc is now done etc. It doesn't really need to be the fastest as its only really browsing that we need it for.

No budget so could get another AC-pro

Sticking with Unifi equipment as thats the backbone of my HN

ta

Soldato
Could you stick an AP LR outside? That way you could run a cable through an external wall around to it.

Not at this time no. The network cupboard is on the opposite side of the house. With 3 doorways to get around. Next year we'll have access to the garage but would mean digging up the ground at the moment. I'll get another AC-pro and fit downstairs. Its odd as I've praised the AC-pro for its distance but now its struggling. Maybe we've done a better job of insulating than I thought

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

@Marvt74

This is what I’d do....

1) reset the hg612 to defaults (192.168.1.1)
2) log in to the hg612 and change the LAN ip to 192.168.1.254
3) connect the hg612 > poe switch along with everything else (including the pi)
4) Install and run the controller software ON YOUR PC
5) configure all the unifi kit with your PPPoE details etc (so that it “just works” when you want to go live)
6) Assign the Pi a static IP in the unifi webpage
7) Save the Unifi controller configuration
8) shut down the controller software on the pc
9) Run the unifi controller set up on the pi (see my instructions above)
10) when you see the sign in/set up screen simply import your config and boom! The pi is now running the config you created earlier.

At this stage you can change your modem ip providing it doesn’t conflict with the router ip

Soldato
Thanks a lot @EVH

Do you have experience of the HG612? I looked last night and couldn't find any settings to control it's IP address.

Also you mention HG612 to poe switch. Does it not need connecting to the WAN socket of the USG and then a cable from the USG to the switch? I can save a cable if that's not the case.

Back
Top Bottom