*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Thanks a lot @EVH

Do you have experience of the HG612? I looked last night and couldn't find any settings to control it's IP address.

Also you mention HG612 to poe switch. Does it not need connecting to the WAN socket of the USG and then a cable from the USG to the switch? I can save a cable if that's not the case.
Yes, I have a HG612.

Sorry, I meant to say hg612 > usg > Poe switch. Rushing and on the phone!

The lan ip setting is weirdly hard to find, but I’ll check later and update you to where it is. From memory it’s under basic > lan ip.

Connect Lan1 on HG612 to WAN1 on USG and configure the pppoe connection within unifi.if you want to be able to log in to the webpage of the HG612 then you need to connect a cable from LAN 2 on the HG612 to the Poe switch as lan 1 is used for WAN*

*if you want simple just connect your pc to lan2 on the hg612 using a manual ip for the pc that way it’s a “direct” connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Haha at least i know enough to challenge when something doesn't sound right. That's something at least!

EDIT - Actually you know what, i must've been tired because i just remembered i did actually change the lan ip!!!! I had to do it because my Asus router was on 192.168.2.1 and i wanted to change it to 192.168.1.1 so that i could set a static IP on the Rpi without it being on the wrong gateway/subnet/whatever it's called .

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Haha at least i know enough to challenge when something doesn't sound right. That's something at least!

EDIT - Actually you know what, i must've been tired because i just remembered i did actually change the lan ip!!!! I had to do it because my Asus router was on 192.168.2.1 and i wanted to change it to 192.168.1.1 so that i could set a static IP on the Rpi without it being on the wrong gateway/subnet/whatever it's called .
I know your pain.... I reset all my devices to factory but run an ip range of 10.0.0.x, so it took me ages to get all the devices to see each other because everything reverts to 192.168.1.x and any changes I made in the controller weren’t being pushed to the devices.

Tip: once you’ve got a good config, save it as a backup. The Mrs wasnt happy as I spent the best part of a few hours trying to get it all back up and running whilst she couldn’t use the laptop/watch Netflix :D

Associate
Is any one using the HD version at all? have you noticed any difference performance wise?

We've got a full HD setup at one of our locations at work. It definitely helps when you have high amounts of users connected. Previously using AC-LR AP's we had performance issues but that has gone now with the HD's.

Soldato
Ok, i'm getting somewhere at last. I've managed to get the USG connected to the internet via the HG612 so woohoo! It's also connected to the AP because i have wifi working nicely.

Now my issue seems to be that i can't get the controller software to adopt the USG. I think this is some kind of hangover from when i was last messing around. I had done a hard reset on all the devices but it seems some things are still linked. Is there a way to force the adoption? Also when adopting it asks for a username/password. I've tried loads in there from ubnt/ubnt to my Unifi account details but nothing seems to help.

Also tried to login to the controller on the pi and get a username/password error. It tells me my details are incorrect but i know they're right. I even tried to create a new account but that also failed. All my googling suggests this is linked to a Java error but upon checking i'm on the latest version.

EDIT - Yep, looks like my USG is connected to the controller software on the Pi (when i go to the USG login page and login and select "Manage my Gateway" it takes me to 192.168.1.210 which is the static IP i set for the Rpi.

EDIT2 - Actually no, looks like that's not the case because if it was it seems it would say "Managed by Other", which this doesn't. It just says adoption failed. After trying to adopt it i get a notification saying it's failed SSH Verification but i'm entering the right authentication code as listed in the Controller - Site settings menu

EDIT3 - Give it long enough and i've eventually sorted it.

If @EVH or anyone else has any idea about the PI issue then it'd be appreciated but the actual network is working at least :)

Last edited:
Soldato
New question but what is VLAN and is it needed? When i was setting up the HG612 to work with the Asus, everything i read suggested it needed to be set to 101.

I have that option now in the USG but it's blank and everything seems to be working ok.

Is there a benefit to setting it to 101 or should i leave it blank?

Associate
I wouldn't worry about setting up VLANs just yet, get everything working like the previous router and then move onto utilising the UniFi/USG features.

It might be an idea to completely start from scratch with the PI. Format the SD card and go through the whole setup again, I've had access points in the past not being adopted as they're assigned another controller but forcing it has always worked, so it seems strange it won't work for you.

Setup Raspbian on a SD card and then connect a monitor and keyboard to the PI to complete the installation of the controller software and find the IP that way. I found when setting up my USG that it really doesn't like you setting it up through its GUI (kept logging me out), obviously there for basic internet connection and cloud controller setup. Once the PI is setup then log in through a web browser, I've only found it works properly with Chrome.

Soldato
For some reason it always told me adoption had failed. Once I forgot it then it finally showed it as managed by other and I was able to force it in the end so now everything is looking good and speed tests are much better than before so that’s promising.

Will have another go at the Pi, I have another one spare so will try it on that. I only went for Stretch lite this time which didn’t give me a GUI anyway. Might go back to the full version though.

Soldato
When I spoke to them the cost was £5 per device per year so a USG and 2 AP’s would be £15 a year. Not a lot really.

I presume if desired you could then run your own controller software and re-adopt the devices.

In theory, it’s easy to move the devices but in truth you need to forget them on one controller and set them up on a new one. Again, unless you have some REALLY pressing need to throw yourself in thrall to BBB, I would strongly advocate not using their hosted controller.

Soldato
I've been using it without issue for a while. Last issue I had they dialled in and sorted it within 10 mins....plus and I may be wrong on this. But If I buy 1 new product every 3 years. Am I not getting it for free. Suppose I'll find out soon. And the cost is low enough that for piece of mind and ease of use I'm happy.. Plus how much would my own controller cost to run

Soldato
I've been using it without issue for a while. Last issue I had they dialled in and sorted it within 10 mins....plus and I may be wrong on this. But If I buy 1 new product every 3 years. Am I not getting it for free. Suppose I'll find out soon. And the cost is low enough that for piece of mind and ease of use I'm happy.. Plus how much would my own controller cost to run

That’s a good point. It would probably cost a fortune to run your own controller.

Just purely out of interest, do you know what controller version they are running?

Soldato
So, that would be the thing that would MAKE me go independent of BBB. 5.6.x is the Long Term Stable branch of Unifi. The current release is 5.7.x and a lot of people are running the 5.8.x Beta and some are even on the 5.9 Unstable Alpha releases. If you want or need a feature in the newer version of Unifi, you can’t get that where BBB control the version they’re running.

I can see the attraction of the pre-configured setup. For me though, I like the flexibility that running the controller myself gives me.

Back
Top Bottom