Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
On the subject of Angle Grinders (well by that i mean i'm turning the subject to this), is there any benefit to the more expensive models? I need to cut up some concrete blocks and also a concrete base at my mother in laws.

I've been looking at the following at Screwfix but the specs all looks to be pretty similar.

2J6eDfW.png

Given it won't be used a lot i wouldn't mind a case for it which the above do. Not sure whether to just get the cheapest one and assume it'll do the job.

Otherwise there's a Makita one on a facebook selling group. It looks well used but do these things really fail much?

Caporegime
If its for occasional use it doesn't matter that much.

The only thing I'd say is recently cordless angle grinders have been a revelation for me. I got a Makita and its brilliant, no trailing wire just means I'm more accurate and don't have to worry about cutting through it :p.

Caporegime
How big is the concrete base? Is an angle grinder really the right tool for the job?

If its an old floor just use a sledgehammer or jackhammer. If more recent you're probably better off with a petrol cutter/wet saw.

Soldato
It's not huge. Maybe 3m2, although there is a much bigger and thicker section which currently has a concrete prefab garage on it which also needs to be removed in the future.

I do have a Parkside 8kg breaker which would probably be better but it's at my parents and i thought a 9" grinder would cut the section i currently need removing up into workable bits i could carry and make less mess.

This is the breaker i have. I've never actually used it!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Parkside-D...werful-Heavy-Duty/1980838845?iid=182853268814

Soldato
A small angle grinder like that isn't really meant for cutting up square metres of concrete. You'll be going through cutting discs every couple of minutes. Use the breaker, that's what it's for. Even a sledgehammer and wrecking bar will work better.

Soldato
I can potentially see a use for a router + router table or powered router table.

Are the cheaper tables a case of buy cheap, buy twice? Or are they accurate enough for occasional use? Current applications would be tasks like finishing timber edges or cutting a rebate

I've seen a couple of places offering powered tables which look attractive

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power...-table-with-height-adjustment-rutlands+dk2080 - also seen it in a different colour for around £155.

Soldato
Do you have a router already?

If you don't i'd be more inclined to go for a seperate router and table so you have both options.

If you do i'd avoid the Titan Router from Screwfix. I had 2 and the depth controls kept giving way so it kept gouging out bit of wood where i didn't want to. I previously had an Erbauer one which was much better and comparable with Dewalt/Makita ones i've used.

Associate
If you are not going to be using the item a lot, I would think even the cheapest such item from the likes of Argos, Lidl and even Aldi would do the job. Aldi and Lidl give a three year warranty to all their tools so your on to a winner with them.

The cutting it's self comes down to the quality of the grinding discs used. Cheap rubbish of EBay will chew through many discs whilst a good quality disc will last a lot longer.

Soldato
Do you have a router already?

If you don't i'd be more inclined to go for a seperate router and table so you have both options.

If you do i'd avoid the Titan Router from Screwfix. I had 2 and the depth controls kept giving way so it kept gouging out bit of wood where i didn't want to. I previously had an Erbauer one which was much better and comparable with Dewalt/Makita ones i've used.

Nope, don't have a router. Cheers on the tip for avoiding the Titan.

Associate
Just a quick recommendation for the Evolution Diamond blade. Got one for my Rage Circular saw and I'm really impressed with how quickly and neatly it's cuts down paving slabs.

Dave

Soldato
Just bought a titan table saw from screwfix for £100. Impressed so far but by god is it scary when turned on... Over 110db and strikes fear into me.

My local timber merchants wouldn't do rips, so thought I'd just get this and do myself to help level my floor joists.

Soldato
Any recommendations for a cordless drill?

My trusty black and decker has given up the ghost, wont be used for anything heavy duty just general home DIY.
I really like my Bosch PSB 1800 Li-2 drill/driver.

I had the old NiCad version for many years but eventually the batteries stopped holding charge, so the Li version was my first choice. I bought a kit that came with 2 batteries and a charger and recently bought a bare impact driver for just £44 that uses the same battery system.

Batteries last for ages and charge quickly, plus it has a good variety of features including torque control for screwing and hammer action which works surprisingly well. As usual for Bosch it comes in a nice sturdy case that has plenty of room for storing drill and screwdriver bits etc.

Soldato

That is great value. The only slight negative is that the 4ah battery is bigger and heavier than the smaller 1.5ah batteries it sometimes comes with, but shouldn't be too much of an issue. Might be a bit overkill for sticking a few shelves up, but worth paying a bit extra for over a cheapo drill if you ever plan to do any larger jobs like decking etc.

Soldato
That drills fantastic we use them at work and they get thrown in the back of the van and around site, dropped from ladders and used in the rain and havent broken one yet.

And thats a cracking price.

Back
Top Bottom