Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
Soldato
You can see them provided you are not in bright sunlight - The expensive ones are made for outside use - Lad who put my slabs down had a real fancy one but it was a lot more than £100.

When I bought this place I had a gardener in to clean and tidy garden up and also put concrete fence posts and gravel boards in - he stood one end of fence line and asked his mate to go to other end and mark the dot - He said I can't see it -- You stupid ***//*$ / idiot move out of way of the beam - Duh !! - he was a few nails short though.

Soldato
Spirit Levels!

My wife bought me that exact set as a surprise for my birthday 2 weeks back.

They seem pretty well made given the price and the storage bag with separate compartments for each level will come in very handy. I haven't had chance to use them in anger yet but have tested them and they seem as accurate as I'd ever need. Place them on a relatively level surface (I used my dining table) and check where the bubble sits. Spin them around end to end and if the bubble is in exactly the same place you know they are accurate. Mine were all as perfect as my eyes could make out.

Would definitely recommend.

Soldato
Spent the morning in garage cleaning up some power tools and one is my Bench Pillar Drill - It is a Power Craft and pretty sure I got it from Aldi about 30 yrs ago - It certainly paid for itself (About £40) - Never failed and surprisingly no rust on it anywhere - Loads of saw dust (air borne) and metal swarf though.

Also took polishing mops off 6" bench grinder and put grinding wheels back on - cleaned that up - good for another 40 yrs - Not a Aldi one but could be Machine Mart.

Soldato
My wife bought me that exact set as a surprise for my birthday 2 weeks back.

They seem pretty well made given the price and the storage bag with separate compartments for each level will come in very handy. I haven't had chance to use them in anger yet but have tested them and they seem as accurate as I'd ever need. Place them on a relatively level surface (I used my dining table) and check where the bubble sits. Spin them around end to end and if the bubble is in exactly the same place you know they are accurate. Mine were all as perfect as my eyes could make out.

Would definitely recommend.

Just to revisit this, do you think the bag is worth it? Screwfix are clearing off these levels it seems and i can buy the 6ft and 4ft levels for £25.

Given the chance would you spend the extra £10 to get the set given i don't need the 2 shorter levels.

Soldato
Well I wouldn't say the bag on it's own was worth the extra tenner but since since the set also comes with the extra levels that might come in handy in the future, even if I didn't need them right now, I'd probably still buy the set given how little extra it is.

Soldato
So just picked up a nice shiny Makita impact driver and cordless drill combo I need to get some new bits for both.

I believe impact drivers should be used with special bits but not sure.

So would be looking for new screwdriver bits, but also new drills, as i have a mis-mash of drill bits for my old cordless drill.

Thanks

Soldato
I have these and have been impressed by them

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-combination-drill-bit-set-23-piece-set/4635k

The other train of thought is to just buy individual bits in the sizes you actually use. Probably 5-8mm in both masonry and wood bits if you're anything like me.

I bought a set of Erbauer impact driver bits and they've been pretty rubbish, haven't tried others but i'd avoid them!

Soldato
I bought a set of Erbauer impact driver bits and they've been pretty rubbish, haven't tried others but i'd avoid them!

This. I have previously been using Milwaukee Shockwave bits, which last quite a while. I bought some of the Erbauer to replace and am going through them rapidly in comparison.

I'd recommend the Milwaukee Shockwave bits - eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milwauke...855785&hash=item2850529ad3:g:3W8AAOSwbWZaeunx

I find 50mm fit far better than 25mm in my impact driver - they lock properly where the 25mm don't.

Soldato
Soldato
Thanks for that, yeah you are right I probably wouldn't use half of them. I will grab the Milwaukee ones from the river shop as half the price of ebay then look for some new drill bits.

Soldato
If you are referring to the link above then yes they are the same size - Those are marked 10 x PZ2 which is 10 of PZ2 bit's - You can buy any size bit in boxes or a box with one or two of each different bit -- Like said PZ2 is the most common size so they get rounded off quicker than other sizes. I have found it's false economy to buy cheap bits and always make sure the bit fit's screw head you are using it for.

Shucks - been gazumped by two fast keyboard warriors

Associate
Good bye old Evolution R210CMS
tTR3p0qlMGJFKkAYsqcZbfHeSQ2UV5chS9GBKzbBqd22qD56OQo44X9LZuBks2YcQqvYrwNWut9LQ_89EJqi1wLXa-9PrBMfNvfbZ-4uBDez5ctAAkzerDP6HduU2oGnFQ96d4-9hvaie7X3PT2XS_lQ06k2teuD6qvDzT9qqjiYcI0i_0loaDca7zXP2aAVFqIBI4uymXlF3T-qH0IcT_W5f8JSngt7ODedqsDR5q8bkxpPVce4QvjJF-jUVYSGTs-KmTaGHjB29w7m2vIO5-vGDKIThbn_njW4uHN-GgH7YTcQ2crH4fie80fuPnmuJvNectm4aoKafFTsogEaIdW7E7wkpxTVgZYfhNa1go-KpDzxm7wEIz6eTDotbfjY6jrmx-0TU3OaFI1vQa7rd8p4h3-z9VVTsrMqbEDXrOdXa2-6cJnT2BagZklEQMJbetDuIZ0G3_h7bjF2i4WVpUKHmp7fG5xW1Yl1my6ogg6buQXB7njAIEnTvVwZfZ1wsIccMvRnF6UYn1XciHHWEk2uBRRrQzQQoKfwj-O42aR42yJhy0mAkX5pWGezcaUqrzgGqJKp8z-cUE5S64KmVy4MpJ5KwkNT8LWIkQmnWxDyQK-_WqH7FwKGXQt1EMuQAeAAA9835mNBgBgcYlbO9JnAoEBl3f2w7Q=w1191-h894-no

Hello new Makita MLS100
fInsaIGw9A75Zb88cLi2zkTDZYR-SrHmvxm8nCO-tFd6z7q82weV_bIKF8dYwYz78Gnar1BK9pFH9-GzKHmpQedlNsIrKeRrVkVboDmbv30UrQIqfWIr810HB60QzSRjEI4Uh4uSHiiYMbQiNx3xgqzNNNBbKGmz2_3G2fRWpv4PARsF56eVVTFsqKL0XO5S1U0SZI104c64AAaaNz3UB3j32Xv10LVfV9ME86HVCwfSkengnlUq08ll2VTS4KHFLqmsqU5heivCsjx9PxkOSRHHOzW3AKmo7djABoA0i_ymX2UWrTPAFJTkWP2TkX-E16K-c2zPHkFqvT7lB-SLHdg7FTm0KKheO8_RUymZJ7NEJ23iyBUn4Cm4Xfn_46l-UiV2_toVmP7VcvvEsWqc0rg8gzHT6DiKzwATNinRkI_IaTjFywycrg9wWOJIIfqzk_N73OJ2B5vTcQpiaw8C7pcvUsCYLlQg5Vw6Fa9gATufiPH936ftUFCPw1aU-UDBWApWQlcQi7fKe9muu8FlROlZFim7mDurdB8ulFs5YXI-lrbq2WkOz9hi8ltnTEftD6NgYoVNgTr1IwcPKtT7bvRVJV9oDOFJrJthVyv5KosD49KvK_AC555qCk7Yi7026vOHnxI-ss0azqowh7QILeUiQIip0c9gtg=w1191-h894-no

Quieter, more accurate and cleaner cuts, I'm really pleased with it. Yes, a sliding one might have been a better buy, but this cuts everything I need it to and is smaller to store than a sliding one. Also I didn't want a cheapo sliding one and this was pushing my budget as it was!

Dave

Last edited:
Associate
I am a home user who makes planters to sell in the summer when filled with bedding plants and the tools I use are Ryobi One +.
I cannot fault these tools, most have a three year warranty which is really easy to claim although in the past 5 years I have never had a problem.
Stay clear of EBay sellers as most of the gear they sell is American and does not have the warranty hear in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom