Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Caporegime
Anyone have recommendations for a cordless second fix pin gun? That doesn't cost £400+...? I'd prefer Makita LXT but for a single job (albeit a large one) I don't particularly want to spend £450. Well, I do, but I doubt I'll be allowed too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are your other tools Makita?

I know i've seen the Dewalt brushless versions around the £180 mark (body only). Also keep an eye on facebook groups, i've seen a few of the Dewalt ones on there at a reasonable price.

EDIT - Just looking, seems this is one of the few tools where Makita is actually much more expensive than the Dewalt equivalent.

Soldato
I think this is why i wonder if it's best to split between Dewalt and Makita. If you have both battery formats then you can just pick up whichever body is cheapest. Most things are comparable but the odd item has a lot of variance.

Depending on the price of hire though, i'd be tempted to pick one up used and sell it on. Doubt you'd lose much and you have the piece of mind of knowing you aren't time limited.

(By that i mean, you tell your wife that's what you're doing but end up keeping it and assume she forgets about it!)

Caporegime
Aye I've had issues with second hand tools before, but definitely worth looking into.

I know the splitting can be helpful. Perhaps if I can find a decently priced second hand dewalt its a good time to start doing that.

Associate
I've got an issue with my petrol strimmer. It started fine this morning (however wouldn't idle properly), so shut it off and went to get fresh oil and petrol. Filled it up and attempted to start it however it won't fire. I tested the spark plug which is fine, the fuel and oil is fresh, I primed the carb 10 times like the manual says, the ignition switch is on and i've tried starting it with the choke on and off but the bugger still won't fire.

I've taken the carb off and cleaned it best I could (however not with carb cleaner, that's tomorrows job) and I couldn't see any blockages.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing it to not start?

Soldato
I've got an issue with my petrol strimmer. It started fine this morning (however wouldn't idle properly), so shut it off and went to get fresh oil and petrol. Filled it up and attempted to start it however it won't fire. I tested the spark plug which is fine, the fuel and oil is fresh, I primed the carb 10 times like the manual says, the ignition switch is on and i've tried starting it with the choke on and off but the bugger still won't fire.

I've taken the carb off and cleaned it best I could (however not with carb cleaner, that's tomorrows job) and I couldn't see any blockages.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing it to not start?

Regular thing with generators another garden equipment is the carb jet blocking. Petrol congeals when left standing.

Associate
I really like my Bosch PSB 1800 Li-2 drill/driver.

I had the old NiCad version for many years but eventually the batteries stopped holding charge, so the Li version was my first choice. I bought a kit that came with 2 batteries and a charger and recently bought a bare impact driver for just £44 that uses the same battery system.

Batteries last for ages and charge quickly, plus it has a good variety of features including torque control for screwing and hammer action which works surprisingly well. As usual for Bosch it comes in a nice sturdy case that has plenty of room for storing drill and screwdriver bits etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L3XK06C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is on the Amazon Prime sale thingy today @ £55.
I was going to buy a cheapo Guild one on clearance at Argos for £45 but saw this and hopefully its worth the extra tenner.

Associate
Picked this up for £50 for the smaller jobs, I have a big 4Ah battery hanging off my 18V combi drill and it can get a bit unwieldy, plus the matching bare impact driver can be had for £40(!) so it makes a pretty cheap set.

Great drill/driver. Fantastic price. I use mine far more than the 18v. It's surprisingly powerful.

Soldato
Good to hear, mine will be for work use as will the impact when I pick one up. my role has changed slightly and don't really need the big drill as much so this should come in handy, it will probably even be small enough to carry in my tool bag loose.

Soldato
Anyone able to recommend a stud/wire finder type tool?

I used to have a cheap one which was junk and so never used it but wondering if some of the better Bosch ones are actually useable? Have moved house and there seems to be a mix of plasterboard, brick and stone in the walls and wires don't seem to follow regular panels from what i've seen so far so wouldn't mind a tester.

Not sure if this is news or not, but Screwfix are now do wera products

Anyone know if the pricing is decent or not?

https://www.screwfix.com/search?search=wera

I am quite tempted.

I tend to pick up a cheapish tool every couple of months or so.
Topcashback tend to have events around each bank hol plus a few other times a year. Spend a tenner and get £2.50 - £5 back
I tend to just buy something(s) from screwfix for £12 or so to get the offer. (minimum is usually £10 exc VAT)

So I would start to pick some of these up to replace other items if the pricing is sensible?

EDIT In case anyone is interested in joining topcashback send me a trust, its free and with a few T&Cs you will get a £5 zeek voucher

This seems to be £10 cheaper than screwfix https://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/wera-kraftform-micro-screwdriver-set-12-piece-sl-ph-hex-tx-wer073675 - To be honest I think Screwfix isn't a cheap place to buy things from - OK if you want it on a Sunday afternoon but otherwise I do a search first.

Yeah thats my experience as well. They are often reasonably priced with good availability, but sometimes they aren't that well priced. Seems to vary a lot from item to item, brand to brand.

Back
Top Bottom