Battletech

Man of Honour
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BATTLETECH...-1&keywords=BATTLETECH+Digital+Deluxe+Edition - available at the time of me posting this.

I'm still highly confused as to why they are selling this edition for the same price as the DLC. This is the third time the game has now been at this price, it can't simply just be an error on their part? Or are they naive enough to actually think it is just the DLC content....

I blindly bought the game last time it hit this price and I recommend the game for the price.

Commissario
why has nobody picked up mech warrior...mech warrior 3 was a high point for me, just think of the scale and landscapes they could do now
IIRC legal wrangles that have only just been settled recently is a major part of the reason as a company was claiming all rights to various parts of the IP (I think based on them having the rights to the US distribution of the anime that had the original mechs that were independently licenced for Battletech*), and problems between two of the companies that made the original Macross that several of the designs came from.

As has been said there is a new MW coming out soonish, although I hope it's more MW2: Merc than MW3 (and if everyone could forget MW4 that'd be great;)).

I sort of have this odd dream of being able to play a Mechwarrior game with a good joystick, a gaming keypad such as the G13 and possibly foot pedals:)
Steel Battalion on the Xbox was a good attempt (that controller!) but the gameplay wasn't as good as MW2.

*Some of the original mech designs used in Battletech/Mechwarrior were from Macross, and used in Macross, Transformers, the Robotech series (butchered Macross edited for the US kids market), various other things, and Battletech (where they became the "unseen" when the legal troubles started and some classics were redesigned to look sufficiently different to pass legal tests).

Soldato
I asked Paradox about the selling of cheap keys. They pretty much just said Amazon can sell at whatever they like but on the other hand, didn't actually know about them selling the game cheap.

Christian Arvidsson (Paradox Interactive)

May 23, 15:29 CEST

Good afternoon!
This is actually something that is perfectly fine as EU regulation doesn't allow us as a publisher to interfere with the pricing of our products. We have an RRP (recommended retail price) that we encourage our partners to use but if they want to set something lower they are allowed to do so. Thank you for the headsup though, I wasn't aware of this!
Kind regards,
Christian

This game is worth more than the cheap price Amazon are selling for. I'm even using one of the DLC wallpapers.

Soldato
IIRC legal wrangles that have only just been settled recently is a major part of the reason as a company was claiming all rights to various parts of the IP (I think based on them having the rights to the US distribution of the anime that had the original mechs that were independently licenced for Battletech*), and problems between two of the companies that made the original Macross that several of the designs came from.

As has been said there is a new MW coming out soonish, although I hope it's more MW2: Merc than MW3 (and if everyone could forget MW4 that'd be great;)).

I sort of have this odd dream of being able to play a Mechwarrior game with a good joystick, a gaming keypad such as the G13 and possibly foot pedals:)
Steel Battalion on the Xbox was a good attempt (that controller!) but the gameplay wasn't as good as MW2.

*Some of the original mech designs used in Battletech/Mechwarrior were from Macross, and used in Macross, Transformers, the Robotech series (butchered Macross edited for the US kids market), various other things, and Battletech (where they became the "unseen" when the legal troubles started and some classics were redesigned to look sufficiently different to pass legal tests).

Surely a HOTAS or two sticks? Why would you need a keyboard?

Soldato
Just an FYI if you use the beta version. I found it wouldn't pick up my saves at all and i had to revert to the standard version (i'm not using any mods at all).

Soldato
My thought so far is that it is okay. The gameplay is good and there is some nice details with management. Graphics are just a little dated. The textures are very low res, likely to be as low as 480p which really blurs on higher res screens and gets muddy.

Would like to see them work on updating the mech models into much more higher resolution and then work on updating the particle effects. They are the most obvious. There are some nice touches but they just look like they are half done. Maybe down to budget more than anything. There is a lot of game for the monies though at £35.

Yea I agree with comments apart from the last sentence.

But to add, I am liking the game so far, outside of the missions, the management of your team is great, good level of grind and struggle to make it rewarding. Its punishing, easy to get your pilot hurt and out, same with mechanical.

In missions, it really is more tactical than it first appears, and I'm still new so only breaking the surface. Also good difficulty level, particularly priority missions can be tricky.

But.... Graphics for 2018 are aweful, and I just cannot forgive that, aminations, mech models all look like a game from 10 years ago, to me looks like the original dawn of war games.

I downed an enemy mech on a hill, and it completely clipped in to the terrain with just its feet sticking out, I mean wtf? That's unforgivable.

Considering it's a turn based game they should have done better.

But.. I am one of those that got it for £10 on Amazon so I can't complain at that money, if I had paid £45 for the deluxe version, I would be butthurt, like badly, like that guy they found in Barrymore's swimming pool.

Soldato
I asked Paradox about the selling of cheap keys. They pretty much just said Amazon can sell at whatever they like but on the other hand, didn't actually know about them selling the game cheap.

This game is worth more than the cheap price Amazon are selling for. I'm even using one of the DLC wallpapers.
Why out of curiosity would you feel need to ask publisher? Not like amazon are a grey market seller of keys

Man of Honour
But.. I am one of those that got it for £10 on Amazon so I can't complain at that money, if I had paid £45 for the deluxe version, I would be butthurt, like badly, like that guy they found in Barrymore's swimming pool.

Crikey..its not every day a joke references something from 17 years ago, thats come right out of nowhere lol !

Quite right though, I dont mind the graphics so much, most of my "strategy" titles have poor graphics but I too would be a touch miffed if I had paid £45 for it. Thankfully I didnt so alls good :)

Soldato
Why out of curiosity would you feel need to ask publisher? Not like amazon are a grey market seller of keys

Just out of curiosity, and to see if they was even aware considering it's considerably cheaper than anywhere else. I don't know how the after sales work, do Paradox get paid per sale, or do Amazon buy the keys in bulk? If they are mistakenly selling the edition as the DLC upgrade, it could be worth Amazon knowing and Paradox informing them to correct the price. The change probably won't go ahead anytime soon :p. Although if it does, it'll be my fault :o.

Soldato
I partook of this pricing error as well. It will be interesting to see if there is a sudden surge of Battletech keys steam keys for sale on the Members Market shortly after when Amazon eventually get round to fixing this obvious pricing glitch.

Back
Top Bottom