Battletech

Associate
After watching a few YouTube videos this is the first game i’ve bought in years. Nostalgia of MechWarrior probably helped.

Im only a few missions in but it seems good so far!

Soldato
OK cheers, I thought that might be the case.
Well, it depends. You might want to expand it a) for the extra tech points to speed up repairs, and b) because of you have two mechs take a pasting in a mission you might want to run out some spares rather than wait for them to be fixed. Or you might just like having options readily available without having to pull mechs out of storage and refit them.

I'm quite enjoying my lance of HGN, BLG, ZEU and BLK. The black Knight as an energy boat can one shot most mechs with a called shot. 2LL and 5ML to the point. Zap! But some missions require speedier mechs so I keep a catapult, trebuchet, firestarter and jenner in reserve

Soldato
I'm quite enjoying my lance of HGN, BLG, ZEU and BLK. The black Knight as an energy boat can one shot most mechs with a called shot. 2LL and 5ML to the point. Zap! But some missions require speedier mechs so I keep a catapult, trebuchet, firestarter and jenner in reserve

Don't bother - you'll get more mileage out of keeping a Piloting expert in reserve. If you want a fast mech, use a Shadow Hawk. They have good firepower for 55T, jump jets, and a good Pilot can get them to 5 pips evasion easily.

Also LLs are not a good weapon, they have terrible heat:weight:damage ratios. Take a PPC instead of two LLs, it does stability damage and + versions can OHKO with a head crit. Plus you'll have 3 tons extra for jets, armour or mods.

Soldato
Don't bother - you'll get more mileage out of keeping a Piloting expert in reserve. If you want a fast mech, use a Shadow Hawk. They have good firepower for 55T, jump jets, and a good Pilot can get them to 5 pips evasion easily.

Also LLs are not a good weapon, they have terrible heat:weight:damage ratios. Take a PPC instead of two LLs, it does stability damage and + versions can OHKO with a head crit. Plus you'll have 3 tons extra for jets, armour or mods.
I was talking specifically distance moved per turn, rather than evasion (stomping on apcs), but point taken on the ppc. I went with LL so I could have 80 damage at long range and use the mediums up close (the heat thing is a non issue then) although they are much better for close range shots than a ppc if I need alpha damage. Also, I can use one of them and a bunch of mediums where a ppc would constrain me to just using the mediums (although as you say I could take extra heatsinks to offset this). I might give it a go though.

Soldato
One other thing to do as the game progresses: turn off cloud saving and then delete your older saved games from both PC and cloud. Having large numbers of saved games causes a major performance hit.

Associate
Just bought this. I was pulling back as it's turn based (which isn't my sort of game) and seems a bit glitchy.

But the MechWarrior addiction is difficult to ignore.

Soldato
Loving this. Mechwarrior, Mechcommander, Heavy Gear and Shogo Mobile Armour Div were some of my fave games growing up. It's a bit slow-paced and I do miss the Clan tech (do want Timber Wolf!) but it's nice to get a Battlemech fix again after so many years.

I'm still in the early game and haven't completed the first priority mission. Do the environments get more varied? There is currently little scope for tactics besides just walking towards the enemy.:o

Soldato
I came up against the hardest mission so far: I was up against 5 assault mechs (atlas, highlander, awesome, stalker, and banshee) and a dragon, plus 2 demolishes and a shrekk ppc carrier. All at once on a hot map. I beat it, but lost a pilot and my zeus in the process. Think I'm gonna give it another go!

Soldato
Handy hint: contract difficulty increases as you progress through the campaign. There's no time limit, so if a campaign mission feels troublesome don't proceed to the next one until you've ground up some more powerful mechs and levelled up your pilots in side contracts. Otherwise you may find yourself unable to complete any missions at all.

There's a known issue where you can be offered multiple contracts on a world only to have them disappear after you arrive. If this is happening to you, validate your game content - although the new patch may fix it anyway.

Soldato
I dropped with 3 assaults and a heavy so I not sure what more I could have brought with me!

E: had another go and made it out without even exposing a component. Just kited them into a narrow gorge so they came at me one or two at a time.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well, Cohh finally finished it and put up his thoughts in one of his summary videos. My game likes and dislikes are usually on par with Cohhs, so thats done it for me, hand in wallet for purchase now :)

Soldato
Just noticed when i was playing earlier (yes a cheeky play before work, don't judge me), i know when arms get destroyed they actually get blown off, but i noticed that even if bits are still attached they show some damage. I.e. my centurion has some plates over his hands and they had been pock marked by enemy fire and i'm sure they were pristine when we started, that's some attention to detail.

Associate
Loving this. Mechwarrior, Mechcommander, Heavy Gear and Shogo Mobile Armour Div were some of my fave games growing up. It's a bit slow-paced and I do miss the Clan tech (do want Timber Wolf!) but it's nice to get a Battlemech fix again after so many years.

I'm still in the early game and haven't completed the first priority mission. Do the environments get more varied? There is currently little scope for tactics besides just walking towards the enemy.:o

Such fond memories of Shogo - grappling hooks and the 'Red Riot' - your very own tactical nuke launcher :cool:

As for Battletech - installed on the weekend and whilst I'm still very early game I'm really enjoying it! Just taking my time and doing the side contracts before progressing the campaign (still not done the first priority contract).

Back
Top Bottom