*** Nintendo Switch ***

Associate
Definately.
I was expecting a LOT more.
How on earth do they expect to sell more Switches this year than last if that is all they have coming?

Agreed, I'm not that interested in Smash either. Other than Octopath Traveller and a few other titles around July eg. Mario Tennis Aces, Captain Toad etc the rest of the year looks a bit anaemic in comparison.

Was hoping for a Bravely game or even some form of port :(

Octopath Traveller is made by the same team, and is very similar in style. You may want to have a look at it when it gets released on the 13th July. There is a demo on the eShop also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Fortnite feels 30fps to me and has some performance hiccups, dipping below 30. Performance needs to be better before motion controls can work well I think.

It's still very playable though and will almost certainly improve over time, I'll stick to playing on PC in the meantime.

Soldato
No Pilot Wings, no Starfox.. little disappointed. Mario Party was a step forward though, no more cars, bet there's no online play tho.. We'll see.

I'd like to see Playtonic make a Conker style game for adults, would be nice for the Switch.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Well my friend was happy with the direct. He wants 14 games out of those shown today :D

14 out of the new games shown today or just overall.

I think that was the biggest letdown with Nintendos E3. The only "big" games they revealed were Fire Emblem and Mario Party. The rest were pretty much indie or small games or ones that we have known about for ages.

Just a quick heads up. Nintendo are having an "E3 Sale" starting tomorrow so hold of on any older games you were thinking of buying. Hopefully there will be some good discounts.

Soldato
I think that was the biggest letdown with Nintendos E3. The only "big" games they revealed were Fire Emblem and Mario Party. The rest were pretty much indie or small games or ones that we have known about for ages.

Exactly, don't get me wrong the Smash Bros montage was cool; but I'd rather have had 5-10 short but not just trailer pieces on new games we knew or hoped were coming, ie Animal Crossing, MP4 etc, rather than what felt like forever on the one game. I wanted surprises, and new things, not a very long piece on something we already knew about; that would have been better to have kept to a seperate nintendo direct and had the e3 been the big new announcements.

They've already said they want to sell more units this year than last; so where are the system shifters? They've not shown us anything particularly unexpected? I find it hard to qualify Smash Bros as outselling Zelda AND Mario?!

If Nintendo had done something similar to what Microsoft pulled; I can't imagine there would have been many complaints; and between the 1st, 3rd party and indie games, I'm sure there are a lot of games planned, substantially more than we know about.

They need to get a Nintendo Direct out ASAP with some announcements and unveils, because much as I hate to say it, they're losing the inertia they had last year.

Last edited:
Associate
I was pretty disappointed with Nintendo's showing too.
No doubt Smash & Pokemon are big games that will shift a lot of Switches - but there's nothing to try & expand their audience.
With Breath of The Wild they were being favourably compared to Horizon Zero Dawn & other open world non-nintendo games. And the progress they've made getting games like Doom & Wolfenstein onto the platform.
Do they think the audience for those games is going to want to play Pokemon ?
Their showing just smacked of doubling down on the same old franchises for their core fanbase & not trying to expand into new areas.

I'm not too worried from a personal point of view - there's enough I want to play & I know eventually we'll see Metroid, Pikmin, Bayonetta, hopefully a brand new game from Retro but overall, it struck me as a very unambitious showing.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Their showing just smacked of doubling down on the same old franchises for their core fanbase & not trying to expand into new areas.

I'm not too worried from a personal point of view - there's enough I want to play & I know eventually we'll see Metroid, Pikmin, Bayonetta, hopefully a brand new game from Retro but overall, it struck me as a very unambitious showing.

Its not like they are satisfying all of their core fanbase with new games in their favourite franchises either. The Switch came out in march 2017 and they will have known they were making it for years. Every Nintendo console gets a Mario and Zelda pretty much and the Zelda we got was a Wii U game ultimately. Metroid isn't coming until next year sometime. Pokemon the same. Bayonetta the same.

The Switch has thrived because its a great console (mobile and portable, always on) and because on indies and ports. Nintendos new AAA games output for the switch has frankly been ****.

I don't believe their claim about focussing on the upcoming stuff in this years E3, I just don't think they had anything else to show. Smash is a big game for them but its not going to sell like Mario and Zelda. They padded out the E3 direct massively with stuff that most people didn't care about. Unless they have another Direct in the next couple of months that shows more promise for the future it will be a real shame.

Man of Honour
13 million on the Wii, 8 million on the 3DS, and even the WiiU version sold 5 million on a still born console.

Smash is huge for Nintendo, and I don't think any game other than the trio of Mario/Zelda/Pokemon tops it, all three of which have already been released or announced.

The first Metroid Prime sold less than 3 million copies for comparison.

Back
Top Bottom