1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** Nintendo Switch ***

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by Boomstick777, Jan 6, 2016.

1. fez

Capodecina

I honestly never bothered really playing indie games when I just had a PS4. We only have one TV so I couldn't steal it for whole evenings and I couldn't be bothered to turn it on for a quick go on something. I don't think it helped that there were also so many AAA games on the PS4 I wanted to play as well.

The biggest thing that the switch has got right IMO is the portability and pick up and play aspect. I quite often pick it up, play 20 minutes and put it down again. If the missus wants to watch love island I berate her for her poor choice of tv and then go and play the switch in the other room. Indie games suit this style of play perfect and the comparatively low number of top quality games on the Switch has helped them hugely.

2. Plainsong

Soldato

I think after the failure of the Wii U Nintendo were probably being cautious with their next hardware and supporting software releases. This might have slowed down some of that early decision making. Some AAA and ports of well thought of Wii U games (as filler?) may have got them through this year. Hopefully 2019 will have allowed them enough development time to get some more big hitters on the shelves like a Metroid and a full blown Pokemon.

I an understand some people's frustrations (especially Wii U owners who already played those games) but for me it has worked out far better than I could have hoped.

My wife is a real bookworm and just loves to sit and read, and read, and read. Everything we watch on TV we watch together - thankfully this doesn't include Love Island. When she reads I will be sat next to her with my headphones on playing something either on the TV or in handheld. I've never much played indie games before either. Meat Boy and Limbo were probably the only two.

3. Quixote

Wise Guy

Yeah, it's hard to begrudge them the Wii-U ports because most of those games never reached the public they deserved to, due to the wii-u flopping. Most of them they've made some decent improvments & additions to. I think they should probably re-release almost every good Wii-U game, because to most Switch users they are new games.
    I'm not re-buying anything I had on Wii-U but where I missed the original, I'm considering the ports. Haven't bitten the bullet on one yet though because generally they're the titles I was a bit doubtful about the 1st time round.

4. Alexrose1uk

Sgarrista

I know what you mean, I'll consider an improved port any time if I didn't play the original. Hurts a little paying full price however for a last gen game, made harder by the fact I still have a Wii U and MOST of the originals.

5. steve5424

Hitman

It was Ubisoft that made Rabbids.

6. Phate

Caporegime

7. megalomanic

Wise Guy

8. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

What really takes the pee is the games costing more on Switch than they did when they launched on the WiiU!

9. BMox81

Hitman

Love it. Day one purchase for me.

10. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

The E3 sale is now on.

11. Phate

Caporegime

Bugger all on there I am interested in unfortunately :p

Fine by me though. Got my free copy of DOOM turning up next week :)

12. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Yeah not much interesting this time. Enjoy Doom, I don't think you've ever mentioned that you got it for free before.

13. Phate

Caporegime

No?

Well I've really wanted it for a while but got held off as I can get it for £8 on steam, which is annoying as I have nothing to run it. Anyway, friend of mine in the UK had it on the Switch and he was going to use it to trade in against something else. I asked him how much he wanted for it. He said "just have it" as a friendly gesture :)

Another friend is coming out next week to visit, he's bringing it with him. My plan is to play to completion, then when I go back in Sept I'll then pay it forward by giving it to the friend who is couriering it out, and he'll give it to his brother after, and so on etc. :)

14. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

I was being sarcastic :p

15. Phate

Caporegime

:o

Well, now you have the absolute full story. :p

16. Plainsong

Soldato

Yeah you definitely might have mentioned it at some point :p

17. Phate

Caporegime

I would edit my post but Kree sealed my fate by quoting it. God dammit!

18. Plainsong

Soldato

Oh my how good is Hollow Knight? Said I wasn't going too buy anything but I always cave. Games around £10 are like digital crack to me on the Switch. Been waiting for this one for a long time and I love everything about it.

19. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

I need to complete cave story before I buy it.

20. fez

Capodecina

Hollow knight puts pretty much every other Metroidvania to shame. Axiom verge was good until I played this. So much content, so well made, beautiful, amazing soundtrack. Ridiculous value for £11