First birthday present to girlfriend

Associate
I saw the lion king last month....wasn't good. Was a really strange additional birthday present from the girlfriend as well. She got me regular presents and then tickets to the lion king.... Like she knows i wkuld never spend £80 to go see it so she bought me one so she could see it and I wouldn't complain about the cost.

I wasn't fussed about going but turns out she didn't like it either. £160 for crap seats and a poor show. Although all her friends who had seen it liked it so mehh maybe OP will be okay.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If you're going to be logical, a block of concrete would be a better birthday present than a used laptop that you already have and don't want. The symbolism of a block of concrete is very romantic and thoughtful - it's long-lasting and a foundation for building something long-lasting. A perfect symbol for a serious relationship!

Very logical...and very unlikely to be a good idea.

Soldato
Trip to any theatre.
An old, used laptop.

If you make it to two years may I recommend the set of cheap screwdrivers missing the most commonly sized philips and flathead bits, or the trip to Paris.

Caporegime
That's a lot of money for a first birthday present if you ask me.
Maybe not if you've been dating nearly a year. But if it's only a couple of months?

Our local theatre does fun shows for 20-30 quid etc. Then a nice meal after. All in for 100 and it's nice and local.

Soldato
Dump gf, spend 500 quid on fetish hookers and blow. Winning Charlie Sheen style! :D

Seriously I dislike this whole game of chess and I'm grateful my exes have been happy with pretty mundane but thoughtful things. Days/weekends away are always good - experiences/memories are better than materialistic tat IMO.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Ignore the virgins on this forum, 2nd hand laptop is a great idea. All you need to do is give it a clean down with a wet wipe, stick some hello kitty stickers on it or something equally girly... Install a fresh copy of vista and set her up with an account using her pet name as login (set password to iloveyou123)... Add a picture of you 2 together as the wallpaper... Oh and when you give it to her (the laptop) tell her than it must be referred to as 'lovetop'. Trust me.

Soldato
If she is dropping hints about London she wants a night away. I would fly from Leeds to Barcelona and take her for a two night city break - instead of a show take her on a day around the Goude buildings and you get a couple of nights in a fantastic city :) It looks like you have already booked a show though... on the plus side you didn't go down the second hand laptop - which would make an awesome as a way of delivering a real present...

Man of Honour
You can do London on a budget if that's what you need to do. If the train is too expensive, drive.

Fuel £50-£60 ish
Indie hotel or Premier Inn Hub £80
2 days driveway parking with somewhere like Justpark £25

Leaves you with over £300 spending money for your two days in the capital.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
You need to draw the line... Get decent tickets for a show, Share the travel/accommodation costs.

(Add surprise gift of a some latex on the hotel bed (do not use marigolds on this occasion) , this is technically your gift as your going to the theatre but it will be seen as a "special gift" by your Other half.

It will also save you having to do dump that is London.

Soldato
Just a tip, if money is a consideration, you really don't need to pay the premium for good seats. I've seen tonnes of shows, the majority from within 5 rows from the back or 'restricted view' seats, and the extra cash for good seats is not worth it.

Soldato
I hate to sound like a douche bag but if you are having to ask a forum full of strangers you are not trying hard enough. Just get her what you think she would like. I would say the small things tend to make the biggest difference so get something big and then a few little things.

I dont know her but i would say do not go with giving her anything second hand. If you cant afford it, dont get it, get her something you can afford. If shes worth it she will work it out or not be spoilt about it if you tell her its all you could afford :).

Back
Top Bottom