FIFA World Cup 2018 - GROUP G [Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England - 18/23/24/28 June] **spoilers**

Soldato
Yes, there is human error, always - the penalty against South Korea - that dude was just looking for contact - penalty shouldn't have been awarded.
The goal yesterday for Iran - they should have accepted it, too.

The first goal Kosta against Portugal - clear foul - he should have taken a yellow card for that.

Yeah, but it was an elbow to the face of Pepe so...

Soldato
Even if VAR only catches 50% of the bad mistakes that still makes it a success, because before it we caught 0% of the mistakes.

totally agree with this. I think VAR has been a great success. I do think it needs to be a little bit more like the Rugby one though. We need to hear what is going on. Also I think the VAR should be able to overrule the Referee, especially in todays game where things happen so quickly.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

1. Reduce the number of people needed for VAR to one. No reason it needs 6 people fully kitted up lolwut
  2. Show the footage that the video ref is reviewing on the big screen. This works well in rugby and the crowd reaction that accompanies it is always awesome.
  3. Play the sound of the video ref talking to the match ref over the commentators. Again, this works well in rugby.
Why they felt the need to tweak something that works is a mystery. Hawk eye is an example of something that they’ve introduced that works as intended, so it can be done.

Soldato
6 people can have healthy discussions and different view points. Democracy and voting...
As long as it's not in this thread :p

No system is perfect on first introduction. I think, by and large it's good for the game and I'm sure over time they'll get it right. But even so, there are still plenty of talking points, the referee and discussions included after every rugby game too, so that is unlikely to ever stop.

fez

fez

Caporegime
  1. Reduce the number of people needed for VAR to one. No reason it needs 6 people fully kitted up lolwut
  2. Show the footage that the video ref is reviewing on the big screen. This works well in rugby and the crowd reaction that accompanies it is always awesome.
  3. Play the sound of the video ref talking to the match ref over the commentators. Again, this works well in rugby.
Why they felt the need to tweak something that works is a mystery. Hawk eye is an example of something that they’ve introduced that works as intended, so it can be done.

I don't know why everyone holds up Rugby as an example for football. The rules and VAR in rugby are vastly different to football. I don't think I have seen more than a couple of contentious decisions over the years in rugby via VAR. Rugby is far more black and white. Did he ground the ball before his foot went into touch, was it an intentional high tackle. 3 points in a rugby match isn't usually as big a deal as a goal in football.

Football is far more of a grey area. Was he offside, thats fine. Was that a foul that should be a penalty? Thats up for debate. We are just going to encourage strikers to play act and cheat using VAR now in my opinion. The smallest of touches will be looked at and suddenly you have a penalty because, yes the defender did touch the attacker before he went down. I think attackers get away with diving all over the place as it is and this just rewards them even more.

Caporegime
have discussed this many times with mates, and we have come to the conclusion that there would not be such a grey area, if they made it a non contact sport.

Then make the rule that if there is any contact between players, it is immediately a red card, for both of them, then everyone will behave and not try to cheat as there will be no benefit as both will be sent off every time.

Will put an end to all this ridiculous bumping and barging and pushing and shoving, not to mention slightest touch results in a dive, if you get sent off every time you dive, they would stop doing it pretty quick.

Last edited:
Soldato
have discussed this many times with mates, and we have come to the conclusion that there would not be such a grey area, if they made it a non contact sport.

Then make the rule that if there is any contact between players, it is immediately a red card, for both of them, then everyone will behave and not try to cheat as there will be no benefit as both will be sent off every time.

Will put an end to all this ridiculous bumping and barging and pushing and shoving, not to mention slightest touch results in a dive, if you get sent off every time you dive, they would stop doing it pretty quick.

Not sure you could make it non contact. I think it would ruin the game.

I completely agree with the Red card for Dives. And not just a red card, but a fine too. It's sickening what's happening in soccer at the moment.

Caporegime
Again we have discussed this many times and have come to the conclusion it would not ruin the sport.

It is the contact and repercussions that cause the majority of the issues and situations that give the sport such a bad name, of highly paid prima donnas prancing about.

Let them actually use the huge skill and talent so many possess, by getting rid of all the shoulder barging and pushing etc let the players dribble more and pass unhindered by people getting so close to them, and pushing them out of the way and backing into other players.

Again the crucial part is that ANY incident has to result in BOTH players (or all if more than two are involved) getting sent off and banned for next match or two. I like the idea of a fine as well, make it a months wages so it actually hurts them, proceeds could go to various charities or the NHS (just an idea).

Give them a punishment like that and they will stop messing about pretty damn quick and abide by all the rules.

Back
Top Bottom