LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Soldato
Alienware is good. Colours not the breakthrough I thought they'd be compared to my outgoing TN swift.

Fair amount of IPS glow which at first I thought was backlight bleeding but hey it isnti.
Fast pixel transitions.
Occasional horizontal scan lines I've only noticed in pubg at certain times.
Nice subtle ambient lighting effects.

Associate
Hi All,

So I want some feedback about 34GK950G, mainly in regards to pricing - spec is of course G-Sync 120Hz Nano-IPS (DCI-P3 98%), nice design with sphere lighting

I think the MSRP on this is going to be around £1,100 Inc VAT

What does everyone think to this price (and more importantly why)?

Many thanks
Dan

Associate
Hi All,

So I want some feedback about 34GK950G, mainly in regards to pricing - spec is of course G-Sync 120Hz Nano-IPS (DCI-P3 98%), nice design with sphere lighting

Many thanks
Dan

Have you seen the recent reductions on the Predator X34P? While thus far only limited time offers they have been down as far as £700.

I haven't bitten on these offers as I've been waiting for release and reviews of these LG monitors, with the newer panel. The question is though, is the newer panel going to be worth the £400 difference?

The answer is... well, unlikely!

PS: The real answer is just give me a free one. Me and @Stu , he'd like one too. :p

Edit: Also, release date?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi All,

Many thanks
Dan

I think there are a few issues with both the Gsync and freesync versions:

1. These monitors are not 10 bit (F might be 8+2FRC)
  2. They are not DisplayHDR600 (despite being just shy of about 50 nits in standard). This makes them (at least the freesync version) not good enough HDR. Odd considering the 5K ultrawide is.
  3. The Gsync version is not HDR or 120+ hz. Heck at 120hz it's overclocked, so chroma might not be full?
Nano IPS is cool, but it seems very underutilized in these two monitors. As such, it's hard to see massive value addition to existing monitors on the market (also with LG panels). I know both have elaborate RGB backlighting, but honestly, it's not that important.

I know for the Gsync version, there is an "nvidia tax" that is quite high, so I understand a higher price than the freesync version. But be careful you don't price yourself out of the market. Especially since these are not proper HDR monitors in the end.

Next year, TV's will have low latency input, Variable refresh rate and native panel refresh of 100+hz. Even on LG TV's. With those having proper HDR and cheaper pricing for larger monitors than 1100£, you have to be careful with pricing.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
@Daniel - LG

There three potential prices to discuss here... original MSRP, real MSRP and street price?

Looking at the direct competition...

Dell Alienware AW3418DW has an original price listing of £1470 on their website, but I've not known Dell to actually list it above £1100 on their website, and this is the typical non-sale price elsewhere, therefore I consider the real MSRP to be £1100. As for street price, I don't know anyone that has paid more than £1000, and a number of people on this forum that have paid less than £900, often with a 5 year, warranty after haggling with Dell.

Acer X34P has a MSRP of £999 now; also, a warranty extension to 4 years costs £30. However, it only takes a small amount of patience to find this model on offer, with a one-day sale price of £599 being the lowest price last month, and then £699 on a one-day sale price earlier this week. The X34P often appears elsewhere for £799 - £849.

You might argue that these models are not straight-up direct competitors, as the LG is native 144Hz and offers nano-IPS; however, all three monitors will run at 120Hz, and the general feeling is that >100% sRGB has no benefit for gamers (which is your target market).

The AOC AG352UCG6 is arguably a dark horse in this discussion, although it is 35" and a VA panel, its MSRP of £749 certainly warrants consideration by shoppers.

Taking all this into consideration, an MSRP of £1100 seems reasonable on paper, but there is no way I'm going to pay that much! Your main competition for sales is surely the Acer X34P because of the aggressive pricing right now (I think this has put LG in a REALLY difficult position), and the closer the 950G launch date gets to November and Black Friday, the higher the chance of people holding out for a deal, and I expect to see the Acer X34P for £699 or less between now and then. If the 950G turns out to be superior to the X34P, then my personal target purchase price is maximum £900 (ideally closer to £800), and if not clearly superior to the X34P then street price needs to be comparable to the Acer. Preferably, you should follow the sagely advice of @Daftbrown and send me one in exchange for a not-very-technical review!

Though convoluted, I hope that I've given a thoughtful response. I think the key question might not be what the formal MSRP will be, but rather what sale price will you offer to the OcUK forum faithful. Sale prices of the Acer X34P must be giving you a real headache!

Last edited:
Associate
Hi All,

Many thanks
Dan

As others have mentioned various competing monitors I would consider are currently available for significantly less. So the product quality needs to at least make up for the increased cost. But since there are no reviews out there is no way for me to evaluate that. All I can say for sure is that the lighting adds zero value for me and that I only care about Nano-IPS insofar as how it improves the product quality. On its own it's just a meaningless marketing term.

I was also thinking about waiting for the Acer / Asus FALD ultrawides that are supposed to appear... eventually. But it's looking like the FALD implementation is bad and that they will be extremely expensive. But only time will tell how they end up - if they actually end up being decent then the LG will be competing with them as well.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
I was also thinking about waiting for the Acer / Asus FALD ultrawides that are supposed to appear... eventually. But it's looking like the FALD implementation is bad and that they will be extremely expensive. But only time will tell how they end up - if they actually end up being decent then the LG will be competing with them as well.

The FALD monitors are going to be in a different price bracket completely (at least, they should be), so I don't see the LG 950G competing with them as well.

Associate
As I understand it the X34P has some issues with color representation. (I only have a Swedish source) And I am sure the new panel from LG will out perform the X34P in basically every way. But will these things be enough to pay (sometimes) twice the price. Probably not.

I have been waiting for the 950g for a long time now and as time passes I see new monitors in the horizon and these monitors look like the new generation I have been waiting for. This one falls in the in-between a little bit.

I would have paid $200 or whatever more for the 950g if it had the the 1.4 Gsync module with 144hz and better HDR. If we could get all these features for the price of $1500 it would have been a immediate buy for me but I heard that the new 1.4 module cost about $500 by it self so I guess all these new monitors will be expensive.

Still feels like one of the last monitors of this "era". I don't know what to do. I will be waiting for reviews at least. At current MSRP I am not sure if I will buy it. Maybe just for the fact that it will be the best Ultrawide you can get when it drops.

The swedish review of X34p
https://www.sweclockers.com/test/25...red-34-tumsskarm-med-nvidia-g-sync-och-120-hz

Associate
Oh wow. That is very tempting indeed. Been waiting out for the LG but seeing the Dell at 800 and seeing the X34P reach 600-700 I don't know if I can bother waiting. Do you reckon the 800 for the Dell is temporary?

I don't know for sure, I expect that it is temporary but likely to be repeated

Only natural to wonder whether to plump for the X34P or Alienware, the LG is going to have to be a clearly superior product at a competitive price.

Associate
I don't know for sure, I expect that it is temporary but likely to be repeated

Only natural to wonder whether to plump for the X34P or Alienware, the LG is going to have to be a clearly superior product at a competitive price.

Yeah, for sure. It's just hard to justify the extra cost at the quoted 1100. If it was actually 144hz on the other hand, I may have paid with kidneys.

Back
Top Bottom