*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
@ubern00b - I would definitely watch the Crosstalk Solutions YouTube reviews on the Amplifi system before spending any money. Chris Sherwood is a huge supporter of UBNT so if anyone would be putting out a positive review t would be him. His first experience was a DISASTER and even after he subsequently got an update it still worked extremely poorly.

If you really want to blow he same amount of money on a part-developed solution that isn’t a sales success and probably will be allowed to die a quiet death when the development team’s contracts expire, then you go right ahead. I’m just trying to tear you away from the steaming pile of poo. If you want a mesh system the AP-AC Mesh or Mesh Pro are much better options.

The crosstalk solutions video review is ancient, and a guy who installs UniFi products for a living is hardly a reliable independent reviewer. I wonder why he hasn't done a more recent review.....

Also as I've mentioned to you before the AmpliFi router runs modified firmware from the UniFi AC AP's as it has the same SoC, so it offers very similar performance. It even has a similar antenna array to the AC LR AP.

AmpliFi is getting UNMS support later in the year and has also entered into the core range as the Air Cube. Also as stated before AmpliFi has it's own separate forum.

It's a decent consumer product that is reliable with good performance. "Steaming pile of Poo" it most certainly is not.

Soldato
The crosstalk solutions video review is ancient, and a guy who installs UniFi products for a living is hardly a reliable independent reviewer. I wonder why he hasn't done a more recent review.....

He’s probably working on the basis that if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.

Also as I've mentioned to you before the AmpliFi router runs modified firmware from the UniFi AC AP's as it has the same SoC, so it offers very similar performance. It even has a similar antenna array to the AC LR AP.

What? It has a disc shaped array that fires down and out from a ceiling mounted position? The two arrays are nothing like each other. From the Crosstalk Solutions video you can see how utterly incorrect your statement is. The whole basis of the review is he has the base units next to each other but the Amplifi unit simply doesn’t go as far. No amount of firmware updates will make it transmit or receive better. The amplifiers and antennae can only transmit at the legal maximum and receive in the orientation they are arranged in. There is absolutely no way the Amplifi units can transmit at anything like the AP-AC-LR. It’s simply outrageous to suggest that. Amplifi even had its own base and LR versions at one point. What happened to them? Oh wait, they were abandoned with no further updates. It doesn’t give me a warm feeling about Amplifi HDs future.

AmpliFi is getting UNMS support later in the year and has also entered into the core range as the Air Cube. Also as stated before AmpliFi has it's own separate forum.

Are you saying the £60 Aircube AC is the base Amplifi, the Amplifi LR or the only one actually available in the UK which is the £120 Amplifi HD? Because you only have to compare the chipsets and capabilities to see its nonsense. Aircube AC is the same chipset setup as the AP-AC-Lite with a significantly poorer antenna array. It’s not a mesh unit and doesn’t work as such. It’s basically a cheap Wi-fi router for ISPs who use UBNTs AirMax long range WLAN Systems to sell or give away to home owners who sign up for Ethernet over long range WLAN.

And why exactly does Amplifi not have forums with the core UBNT product range? The Aircube has its forum within AirMax. So why doesn’t Amplifi? Simple answer? It’s not a core UBNT product. It’s a spin-off. And the ‘community’ on those forums isn’t exactly a hotbed of activity. Last post on the general discussion forums was about 3 weeks ago with the problems forum being a bit more active with the last post 4 days ago. Tumbleweed blows through there more often than folks post.

It's a decent consumer product that is reliable with good performance. "Steaming pile of Poo" it most certainly is not.

It’s the worst or second worst of the Orbi type home mesh systems. If you want something good, get Unifi. If you want something with support and a long-ish term future, buy Orbi.

Associate
What? It has a disc shaped array that fires down and out from a ceiling mounted position? The two arrays are nothing like each other. From the Crosstalk Solutions video you can see how utterly incorrect your statement is. The whole basis of the review is he has the base units next to each other but the Amplifi unit simply doesn’t go as far. No amount of firmware updates will make it transmit or receive better. The amplifiers and antennae can only transmit at the legal maximum and receive in the orientation they are arranged in. There is absolutely no way the Amplifi units can transmit at anything like the AP-AC-LR. It’s simply outrageous to suggest that. Amplifi even had its own base and LR versions at one point. What happened to them? Oh wait, they were abandoned with no further updates. It doesn’t give me a warm feeling about Amplifi HDs future.

The arrays on the UniFi AP AC LR and AmpliFI HD look pretty similar when you take them both apart. The AmpliFi HD has the same array that was fitted to the AmpliFi LR. They dropped the other AmpliFi models shortly after launch as there was no real reason to buy one versus the HD. Also if you watch the Crosstalk solutions video to the end he does actually recommend AmpliFi for home users. I'll take some of the different types of UniFi AP's home and directly compare the performance with AmpliFi when I get chance.

It’s the worst or second worst of the Orbi type home mesh systems. If you want something good, get Unifi. If you want something with support and a long-ish term future, buy Orbi.

Orbi is one of the worst mesh products on the market. I suggest you buy one and give it a try to discover for yourself the connection issues, frequent mesh point reboots needed etc. When I last looked at Orbi you couldn't even do IPv6 with BT broadband....works fine on AmpliFi btw.
Google WiFi also has multiple issues, again IPv6 doesn't work with BT as far as I know, it didn't when I tried it out last anyway.

Also the UBNT devs on AmpliFi are happy to respond to questions on firmware improvements, bug fixes etc. when emailed. Good luck emailing the devs at Netgear/Google or influencing product development in any way.

Soldato
Has there been anymore news on a newer version of the USG 3? I did read rumours from last year of a USG HD-4 but that seems to have went quite. A USG version of the EdgeRouter 4 would be ideal. Would allow me to use Smart Queues (and maybe IPS) without the massive performance penalty you currently get on the USG 3.

Failing that, I might consider swapping the USG 3 for an EdgeRouter 4. Other than losing the centralised management of the Edge Router via Unifi, are there any other potential issues to be aware of? I have a US-8-60W POE switch and two AP-AC-Lite access points. Setting up the ER4, would that be a manual step or is there anyway to migrate my config from the USG3 to the ER4? I'm assuming IPv6 works on the ER4?

Associate
IPv6 worked fine for me on the Google Wifi devices with BT FTTP when I had them. I had other issues with them though which is why I got rid of them for Ubiquit gear.

Yes I think it was added with a firmware update a while back.

I am hoping they release a 16 port switch without PoE, or a 16 or 24 port with only 8 ports PoE.

I just wish Ubiquiti would release a better USG, keeping the same form factor with PoE input and a meaty CPU.

Earlier this week I completed installing a full UniFi setup in my house, it's great to have Smart Queue QoS again. That was the only thing I didn't like about my previous AmpliFi setup.

Soldato
Has there been anymore news on a newer version of the USG 3? I did read rumours from last year of a USG HD-4 but that seems to have went quite. A USG version of the EdgeRouter 4 would be ideal. Would allow me to use Smart Queues (and maybe IPS) without the massive performance penalty you currently get on the USG 3.

Failing that, I might consider swapping the USG 3 for an EdgeRouter 4. Other than losing the centralised management of the Edge Router via Unifi, are there any other potential issues to be aware of? I have a US-8-60W POE switch and two AP-AC-Lite access points. Setting up the ER4, would that be a manual step or is there anyway to migrate my config from the USG3 to the ER4? I'm assuming IPv6 works on the ER4?

There is the USG4 (or Pro) available already. It's got considerably better internals than the USG3 but I do agree both are pretty limp in terms of performance in comparison to the new ER series. My main factor for not running a USG yet is because of the poor hardware.

Soldato
They do the USG, USG Pro 4 and USG XG 8, I have only tried the normal USG so far and find it OK.

I will say the USG gets damn hot though, I know its a passive device but would like it to be a little cooler.

Soldato
There is the USG4 (or Pro) available already. It's got considerably better internals than the USG3 but I do agree both are pretty limp in terms of performance in comparison to the new ER series. My main factor for not running a USG yet is because of the poor hardware.
Yeah, basically the Edge Router 4 but as a USG would be ideal. I have the regular USG and while it's fine for straightforward tasks, when you start asking it to do IPS, QoS, etc, it becomes a bit of a lame duck!

I will say the USG gets damn hot though, I know its a passive device but would like it to be a little cooler.

The PoE Unifi switch I have gets even hotter!

Soldato
Yeah, basically the Edge Router 4 but as a USG would be ideal. I have the regular USG and while it's fine for straightforward tasks, when you start asking it to do IPS, QoS, etc, it becomes a bit of a lame duck!

How fast is your internet connection? USG 3P should be able to handle VDSL with everything on (about 85Mbps) and USG 4P will do FTTP or Virgin (350Mbps). There are LOTS of threads on the Unifi forums about people who haven’t configured their USGs properly and are getting 100Mbps throughput on a 1Gbps connection.

The problem with comparing the USG range to the Edge range is that the USG isn’t just a router. The ER-4 will never do IPS/IDS so it’s not specified to do that. The USG 3P is actually a GREAT router but no-one seems to be prepared to go beyond the GUI into the CLI to optimise it.

The problem isn’t the hardware, it’s the controller that doesn’t let you do stuff. I REALLY hope they get the controller sorted soon. It’s currently as buggy as a very buggy thing and 5.9.x doesn’t seem a lot better, it just looks prettier.

Soldato
How fast is your internet connection? USG 3P should be able to handle VDSL with everything on (about 85Mbps) and USG 4P will do FTTP or Virgin (350Mbps). There are LOTS of threads on the Unifi forums about people who haven’t configured their USGs properly and are getting 100Mbps throughput on a 1Gbps connection.

The problem with comparing the USG range to the Edge range is that the USG isn’t just a router. The ER-4 will never do IPS/IDS so it’s not specified to do that. The USG 3P is actually a GREAT router but no-one seems to be prepared to go beyond the GUI into the CLI to optimise it.

The problem isn’t the hardware, it’s the controller that doesn’t let you do stuff. I REALLY hope they get the controller sorted soon. It’s currently as buggy as a very buggy thing and 5.9.x doesn’t seem a lot better, it just looks prettier.

The hardware is fine until you activate either IPS or Smart Queues. This disables hardware offloading and cripples your download to about 60Mb. I currently have a 200/20 FTTP connection with BT but may increase this. With a busy internet family, I sometimes have latency issues and my buffer bloat score is pretty poor. Smart Queues alleviates this but if I was to enable that, I would cripple my internet connection as the CPU in the USG isn't beefy enough.

I'm more than happy to go into the CLI if I need to and have done so to configure IGMP proxy (ultimately putting into the json config to ensure its preserved over re-provisions).

Soldato
The hardware is fine until you activate either IPS or Smart Queues. This disables hardware offloading and cripples your download to about 60Mb. I currently have a 200/20 FTTP connection with BT but may increase this. With a busy internet family, I sometimes have latency issues and my buffer bloat score is pretty poor. Smart Queues alleviates this but if I was to enable that, I would cripple my internet connection as the CPU in the USG isn't beefy enough.

I'm more than happy to go into the CLI if I need to and have done so to configure IGMP proxy (ultimately putting into the json config to ensure its preserved over re-provisions).

I’m pretty sure Smart Queues no longer disables hardware offloading. IPS/IDS does, but that’s because it’s a feature in the controller. You can’t blame hardware for not being designed for something they didn’t intend to implement 3 years ago.

If you want to run those speeds with those features then you need a USG 4P. It will easily do 200/20 with IPS/IDS enabled. Or just get a pfSense device to sit in front of it. Faster than that and you need a US-XG-8.

I definitely think people massively over-estimate the capabilities of the EdgeRouter Line-up. They’re quick enough routers but that’s all they do. Unifi places huge overheads on the individual components and the USG that can handle 350Mbps with everything turned on will need to be more like the USG-XG-8 than the ER-4 or ER-6P. And that means it’s going to be expensive. All those people that were shouting about buying a USG-XG-8 disappeared pretty darn fast when they appeared at $2500.

Soldato
I’m pretty sure Smart Queues no longer disables hardware offloading. IPS/IDS does, but that’s because it’s a feature in the controller. You can’t blame hardware for not being designed for something they didn’t intend to implement 3 years ago.

If you want to run those speeds with those features then you need a USG 4P. It will easily do 200/20 with IPS/IDS enabled. Or just get a pfSense device to sit in front of it. Faster than that and you need a US-XG-8.

I definitely think people massively over-estimate the capabilities of the EdgeRouter Line-up. They’re quick enough routers but that’s all they do. Unifi places huge overheads on the individual components and the USG that can handle 350Mbps with everything turned on will need to be more like the USG-XG-8 than the ER-4 or ER-6P. And that means it’s going to be expensive. All those people that were shouting about buying a USG-XG-8 disappeared pretty darn fast when they appeared at $2500.
I tested it the other day and my speed plummeted when I enabled Smart Queues. I didn't check if hardware offloading was disabled via the CLI mind but I could tell by the multiple speed tests I did that hardware offloading had been disabled. I haven't seen anything to indicate otherwise. The only feature I was aware of which worked via hardware offloading was DPI.

I'm not really blaming the USG, I'm more hoping they bring out a newer version of the USG3 with a beefier CPU, I used the ER4 as an up-to-date example.

Soldato
The USG3 cannot do more than 60Mb with SQM, DPI and IPS. SQM seems to be the really pressing factor on it though and removal of that shoots throughput right up but in short it's not up to VDSL standards in the UK. I think I've read the Pro4 can push around 200Mb with all the features activated but it seems a glaring oversight by UBNT if they don't upgrade the current USG range with similar hardware to the new ER's.

Associate
The USG3 cannot do more than 60Mb with SQM, DPI and IPS. SQM seems to be the really pressing factor on it though and removal of that shoots throughput right up but in short it's not up to VDSL standards in the UK. I think I've read the Pro4 can push around 200Mb with all the features activated but it seems a glaring oversight by UBNT if they don't upgrade the current USG range with similar hardware to the new ER's.

My USG3 will do 100mbs down / 30mbs up with DPI and IPS enabled, I am running on a 250mbs / 30mbs FTTH connection. If I turn off IPS it will happily max out the fibre connection. I run 24/7 with IPS enabled and I accept the performance hit, when a new improved USG comes available I will happily purchase it.

Soldato
My USG3 will do 100mbs down / 30mbs up with DPI and IPS enabled, I am running on a 250mbs / 30mbs FTTH connection. If I turn off IPS it will happily max out the fibre connection. I run 24/7 with IPS enabled and I accept the performance hit, when a new improved USG comes available I will happily purchase it.

And when you turn on Smart Queues it will crawl down to around 60Mb. DPI & IPS aren't as hard hitting as SQ.

I too am eagerley awaiting new hardware.

Soldato
And when you turn on Smart Queues it will crawl down to around 60Mb. DPI & IPS aren't as hard hitting as SQ.

I too am eagerley awaiting new hardware.

Don’t hold your breath. There is nothing in the immediate pipeline. Anything in the EA store is at least 3-6 months before the general public can buy it. There is nothing in the EA store at this point. All work is currently being focussed on relaunching the US-XG-8 and there are quiet rumours of a US-XG-4. That would make sense because the 10GbE controllers handle 4 ports each and the USG-XG-8 has two of them so releasing a cut-down version would be a much faster release than a completely new design.

The ER-4 and ER-6P platforms will only give a marginal improvement in performance over the USG-4P and all the demand is at the 500Mbps - 1Gbps end of the market. The ER-6P and ER-4 won’t do more than 350-400Mbps and remember that they’ve only just got the flexible WAN/LAN port mapping working (and it’s still buggy) so there is no benefit in a multi-port USG at this time. So the very strong likelihood is it’s going to be a 10GbE version of the USG-4P and will cost £750 - £1000. And not many home users will buy that.

So as I said, don’t hold your breath.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom