*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
I get the feeling that when Chris Buechler started he found a complete mess with the development processes and how they support the various hardware platforms for each release. There are signs that they are trying to reduce the variety of firmware needed for the various hardware generations and device types and that in turn should reduce bugs. I hope this is where the time has gone since Chris joined and once they get the basics right we'll see more push on the features, which is the right way to do things if my guess is correct.

Sadly, pretty software is often a selling point so we just have to live with that having too much priority.

Permabanned
Hi guys,

Just had FTTP installed https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-home-shortly-how-to-take-advantage.18821198/

The 2 routers they have put in bridge mode one in the study and one in the loft are useless in my house. I think the insulation is pretty thick in the walls. I can't even get WiFi in the kitchen.

I have an ethernet port in the loft so was thinking of putting in 2 AP-Pro in the loft to cover the whole house, will this work do you think? in the loft our insulation is in the tiles so the ceiling is just plaster board so the access points can just sit on that pointing down.

Associate
I have 3 x AC-PROs in my loft as I am renovating my house and wanted to keep them out of the way until that's complete. I have a house with two double height extensions hence three APs, one in each section surrounded by double layer walls. They give great 2.4Ghz coverage on both floors although 5Ghz suffers a little on the ground floor but then mine are above 250 - 300mm of insulation.

The only concern I have is that my loft hits 45 - 50 degrees in hot weather which is on the limit for the APs but 18 months in an no failures yet. It's much cooler under the insulation but I'll probably leave them now until I move them to being ceiling mounted once all the first floor rooms are done.

Associate
I have an ethernet port in the loft so was thinking of putting in 2 AP-Pro in the loft to cover the whole house, will this work do you think? in the loft our insulation is in the tiles so the ceiling is just plaster board so the access points can just sit on that pointing down.

It will work fine that way. You might want to consider NanoHD APs as the price difference is quite small now.

Soldato
For those of you on BT. Do you know of any issues with using the BT Homehub 6 instead of the BT Openreach modem as the modem connected to the USG?

I'm currently only getting 20mbps downstream and should be more around 50-60. Just want to avoid keep unplugging devices whilst i switch between things as i know that affects the connection and i figure BT wouldn't diagnose without me trying out the homehub first.

So thinking i'd like to have it set like this

BT Homehub wired to the USG.

Homehub to run it's own "BT" wifi network so i can check speeds on that and then also have the USG run it's own "Unifi" network so i can compare the 2 without constant switching what's connected.

Associate
I'm currently only getting 20mbps downstream and should be more around 50-60. Just want to avoid keep unplugging devices whilst i switch between things as i know that affects the connection and i figure BT wouldn't diagnose without me trying out the homehub first.

When you plug the BT smarthub in what are the line stats from the web ui? They should indicate if there's a fault with the line.

Soldato
I've not plugged that in yet, I just used the USG setup straight away. Was planning on having a mess around tonight, just trying to check whether what i suggested would work before i try that as an option.

That way i don't have as much wifi downtime as i play around with things and annoy other people in the house!

Associate
I've not plugged that in yet, I just used the USG setup straight away. Was planning on having a mess around tonight, just trying to check whether what i suggested would work before i try that as an option.
That way i don't have as much wifi downtime as i play around with things and annoy other people in the house!

Are you using an Openreach HG612? Is it unlocked? You could pull the stats from that.

Caporegime
@platypus , when you run your tester, are you checking the far end ? Could be the wrong order..? A basic tester won't 'know' if some wires are in the wrong order unless you check the remote end.
Sorry, been away.

I've got a tester that you connect to both ends of the cable :confused:, unless I misunderstand what you're asking?

Don
Unless you have an expensive tester, the sender won't tell you that one end is wired incorrect, go check the remote end of the tester to mate sure it hits them in the correct order.. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

A server will only say if 8 pins are connected. It didn'td care what order (if a cheap tester)

Man of Honour
If you want to run those speeds with those features then you need a USG 4P. It will easily do 200/20 with IPS/IDS enabled. Or just get a pfSense device to sit in front of it. Faster than that and you need a US-XG-8.

Do you have a guide for this? I have a pfsense box and I prefer it’s IPS etc but I like the traffic stats I get with the USG.

Soldato
IPS is exactly the same on pfSense and UBNT - it’s all Suricata.

Just put the pfSense box in front of the USG and set the USG to DHCP. You will double-NAT but the performance hit is insignificant over what you get with turning on IPS/IDS on the USG.

Man of Honour
You’ve obviously not seen those REALLY angry threads on the Unifi forums when folks learn you can’t turn NAT off on the USG.

Maybe you can in 5.9.x but I don’t think so.
No, I’ll have a browse when I get back off holiday. I don’t want to double NAT but I do prefer the throughout and capability of pfsense running snort etc but I do like the USG DPI.

Back
Top Bottom