Share Your Best Pizza Dough...

Caporegime
I am using Molino Grassi Italian Flour its 00 flour comes in a red and white bag you can get it on amazon for about £11 for 10 1 kg bags. When i take it out of the fridge i leave it to come back to room temp 2-3 hours before i need it. This is my rough process from start to finish. I also use a kenwood chef as well to mix it all together.

Put dry ingredients in the mixing bowl
Add yeast/water/oil in jug and mix well, pour into the flour with the speed low until you get a ball of dough.
Turn speed to 4 and leave it for 10 mins.
Take out of the mixing bowl, and cut into 200g chunks an ball it up. (200g is about the right size for what i need for my pizza oven) doesn't have to be exact a few grams either way doesn't matter too much.
Either have a large tub or small tubs and put balls in fridge, if using a large tub make sure there is some space to grow.
Cover well with cling film and leave for as long as you like.
Get out of fridge and leave 2-3 hours room temp before you need it, as it will grow.

If your not cold proving, i would basically do the same up till the balling stage, and then leave them wrapped up in a warm area for 3-5 hours.

that is the flour i use.

so you never room temp prove for hours before putting in fridge. you cold prove then room temp prove or room temp prove and use that day.

which is why i'm having issues with leftover dough that has been proved. okay will make sure any that may be left over is stuck straight in the fridge straight after mixing. leave the rest to be used that day and if i need more i can always take out the stuff from the fridge and let it sit out for an hour or two.

Associate
I only prove it at room temp say if i decided last min that i want some pizza. I did this yesterday made a batch of dough a lunch, balled it up and then put in my container and left it on the side in the kitchen till dinner time.

I have seen a lot of different methods with the dough and i think its more a case of experimenting which one works for you. I've tried about 7 or 8 different ones till i stumbled on this one.

Soldato
so you never room temp prove for hours before putting in fridge. you cold prove then room temp prove or room temp prove and use that day.

Might be why I've been having issues with a recent sets.

Anyone have a "fool proof" tutorial, preferably video, that they can recommend where it shows all of the steps? It really isn't as simple as throwing some water mixed with yeast into some flour and kneeding for a bit. Mine is always too springy - i.e. I go to kneed it into a big circle and it springs back into a much smaller circle.

Caporegime
Might be why I've been having issues with a recent sets.

Anyone have a "fool proof" tutorial, preferably video, that they can recommend where it shows all of the steps? It really isn't as simple as throwing some water mixed with yeast into some flour and kneeding for a bit. Mine is always too springy - i.e. I go to kneed it into a big circle and it springs back into a much smaller circle.

i would really need to know what you are doing to see where you are going wrong.

i have experience with yeast from home brew. so i was working on the assumption it acts the same with dough. which it does in some situations but not others.

as soon as it's mixed and you won't be using it that day then it has to be put into the fridge and used within 3-4 days. but when you bring it out you need to leave it out for 2 hours to settle before using.

if you are using it that day. which IMO is now the best way to do it is just leave it out for 2 hours at room temp or a warm place then use.

obviously you stick it in a suitable container then cover that container with a damp cloth for proving or cling film the top for the fridge.

people that long prove it in the fridge. say it's to add flavour to the dough. tbh that sounds more like bread / sourdough. for me a pizza dough should have a subtle taste it's the flavour of the sauce, basil and mozzarella which should shine.

Soldato
i.e. I go to kneed it into a big circle and it springs back into a much smaller circle.
you need to stretch/push it deftly, w/finger tips, gradually making it bigger and bigger radius - maybe that is what you meant
(on a semolina board .. or - not me - clearly the pro's can do it in the air )

Associate
Well, my pizza stone just broke into 5 pieces... :(

Started looking at pizza ovens on Amazon - two have come up with decent reviews:

Giles & Posner EK2309 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Giles-Posn...TF8&qid=1531397403&sr=8-4&keywords=pizza+oven

G3 Ferrari G10006 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferrari-G1...TF8&qid=1531397403&sr=8-6&keywords=pizza+oven

I see that the G3 is mentioned in this thread quite a few times - also mods have been mentioned so I guess there is a decent user base. The Giles and Posner is 30% cheaper, but I'm wondering if I should just go for the g3?

Soldato
Well, my pizza stone just broke into 5 pieces..
you dropped it ? ... suppose I might try a steel if i broke mine, but compared to £10 they are £30+

for (homemade) pizza toppings - unusually I have some mushrooms available for the weekend, do most folks sautee them first.
this article suggests that, as it does for onions, https://www.thekitchn.com/5-pizza-toppings-that-should-always-be-precooked-220958

Even in an oven stone scenario, with about 8 minutes cook time I don't think a (1mm sliced)mushroom would cook through, so I am not so surprised with the pre-cook idea,
but afaik last time I had a pizza chain one they don't pre-cook, and I've never had mushroom in a real pizza restaurant.

Associate
Yep - dropped it. I did see the Unni 3, but I'd prefer to cook inside, and it's a bit more than I'm happy to spend really.

I did see pizza steels, would be easier to store than a g3 (limited space). Hmm.

Caporegime
Next effort: salami, mozzarella, gruyère, parmesan, basil, and a drizzle of olive oil.

Had a load of cheese to use up so it's very ingredients heavy. Was delicious though. This time I left the mozzarella exposed in the fridge for a day to see if that stopped the gloopiness of the base. Didn't really help.
IueyzYch.jpg

Soldato
that stopped the gloopiness of the base
what milk stuff getting through the tomatoe layer ... does look wetter than my less-focussedlast-night one,
which was just asda moz, kept in fridge/drained there 1 hour before/sliced up and left to come to room temp. oven stone job

don't know if your ham gives up a lot of 'fat', quite a sheen

.. did not put enough sauteed mushrooms on to really be able to taste them.. really need to cover the surface (+ corned beef / pineapple / jalepenos)

28530488577_0e53086a33_o_d.jpg

Man of Honour
Next effort: salami, mozzarella, gruyère, parmesan, basil, and a drizzle of olive oil.

Had a load of cheese to use up so it's very ingredients heavy. Was delicious though. This time I left the mozzarella exposed in the fridge for a day to see if that stopped the gloopiness of the base. Didn't really help.

I use this method:https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/04...ored-mozzarella-cheese-refrigerate-or-no.html

It improves moz by a huge amount and massively reduces the 'weeping' you get with store-bought.

Associate
I'm using this alex french guy no knead dough recipe

Patience is required and it works out at 70% wet ratio
Measuring from this recipe
450g water
200g flour (tip 00)
1.6g fresh yeast (i used 3.5g dry)
430g more flour
20g salt
1st proofing/rise : 12 to 18 hours
2nd proofing/rise : 2 hours after forming the dough balls.

Vast improvement in consistency compared to my previous bbc good food recipe.
Found it quite easy to handle to form the dough balls which are now in the freezer

Am yet to bake it as pizza night is friday in my house....looking forward:)

Last edited:
Soldato
I really struggle with handling the dough, sticks to everything. End up rolling it out in the end and don't get a very good rise.

Soldato
End up rolling it out in the end and don't get a very good rise
you are rolling on the sheet it is going into the oven on ?
if I could roll it it would generally indicate it is too dry - when it is sticky, it is only deft hands and a bit of polenta that does it ..

but I agree can be hit and miss, and I tend to add too much water forgetting it does seem to loosen up after kneed/rise.

Back
Top Bottom