• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper on Zen+ 32 Cores - Launching Q3 2018

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Even without seeing the reviews you can make some reasonable guesses.

It's literally more of the same so your main concern is being sure your software can handle the threads.

My most used program is Cinema 4D (grew up with it on the Amiga, so it's still my go to modeller alongside Lightwave, Blender and 3DSMax), so I think I'll be good :)

Soldato

The "wraith ripper" looks to be about the same size as a bag of sugar, huge. :eek:

Think this guy thought he was building a crossfire setup, no sli bridge.

He says on the video he doesn't want SLI because it hurts performance on the things he is doing with the GPUs.
And yes is using two FE 1080Tis.

Other than that, he is using raid Evos & Pros 960s :p on multiple different raid drives, because he says "why not" :D

Associate
Are the air coolers also being released on the 13th ?

I'm only aware of the Wraith Ripper and the Silver Arrow TR4 being announced so far.

Quite interested in the 32c cpu but as I don't have a fancy WC system I'll be using air (as I am now) - I won't be overclocking it, just letting the PB2/XFR do its thing...

Soldato
Soldato
Seems tonight the 1920X is cheaper than the 8700K in some countries :eek: ($299).
While in UK is just £30 more!!!! (so cheaper than the states if we factor in the VAT).

It shows how bad we were fleeced all those years by Intel.

Last edited:
Associate
It also might hook folk into a Zen3 cpu next year, buy the first gen for pennies today with a board and then your so hooked on the massive grunt you pick up the really big guns next year.

And 2019... well there really will be big guns coming... 48 core TR more than likely.

Shame i am reading some utter crap on forums and youtube comments sections around the web, lots of idiots thinking there 4 and 6 core toothpaste processors are far superior due to having a couple of FPS improvements in some ancient game engine.
Ahh idiots, wouldnt be the same without them.

Caporegime
Does anyone know roughly what would be a sensible estimate for video editing/ Creative Cloud suite usage? Would an 8/10 core be enough, or do those sorts of programs make use of a CPU with something along the lines of 16/24/32 cores?

I think the time is fast approaching where I need to move up to at the very least a 6 or 8 core AMD/i7 equivalent.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Does anyone know roughly what would be a sensible estimate for video editing/ Creative Cloud suite usage? Would an 8/10 core be enough, or do those sorts of programs make use of a CPU with something along the lines of 16/24/32 cores?

I think the time is fast approaching where I need to move up to at the very least a 6 or 8 core AMD/i7 equivalent.

Creative cloud performance on AMD (Ryzen and Threadripper) is "ok" - if that is your primary use, then Intel may be a better bet (I use Premiere, After Effects and Photoshop and performance is satisfactory, but it's not significant portion of my workflow so I'm ok with that).

Soldato

After Effects and Premiere should take as many cores as you can throw at it. Everything else is very lightly threaded. Adobe suites benefit more from shed loads of RAM more than shed loads of cores, especially when using Dynamic Link and Media Encoder to load headless versions of the other programs.

Edit: nope, I'm wrong. AE is still capped to 4 cores and Premiere is capped at 14.

Man of Honour
Creative cloud performance on AMD (Ryzen and Threadripper) is "ok" - if that is your primary use, then Intel may be a better bet (I use Premiere, After Effects and Photoshop and performance is satisfactory, but it's not significant portion of my workflow so I'm ok with that).

Satisfactory might be being a little harsh without grounds for comparison:

It will do the job... I find working in creative cloud far nicer on my 1950x than I do say for example on my KabyLake G laptop as It's just a lot faster for my workflow. Which to be fair is a small portion of what I do as above. Bang for buck wise it's about on par with the competition (before overclocking) which for a suite of apps I am not exactly using daily is absolutely fine. I do know after effects performance is also much the same, good but not mind blowing. Mind you after effects just eats every last bit of my 64gb of ram if doing for example hdr time lapses with image stabilisation so clearly after effects will pretty much be memory bottlenecks almost every single time.

Last edited:
Associate
Just goes to show how poorly optimised Premier is, you would think Adobe would be trying to make there software faster by embracing new tech like heavily multicored processors.

Back
Top Bottom