Post Scriptum

Soldato
From what I've seen its a bit different in PS and i didnt find a way to place a mortar marker like in Squad. When in the mortar you have a compass at the bottom to get your bearing and the chart on the left with the range and milliradian figure to adjust for range.

For me this isnt in problem. The problem was that j was the SL and spotting and guiding in mortars but i find the soldier compass i was using to try and give my mortar time a bearing was near impossible to read on screen. It was zoomed out and at a weird angle that meant i had to give an approx bearing then guide my team in 5 to 10 degrees at a time

For me the normal compass needs better placement on screen and to be clearer

Soldato
Right-clicking will bring up the optical sight with an on screen chart which shows what angle the tube needs to be (in milliradians) for the desired range.
Mils for range??!!
Used to be degrees (down to the ¼º) for range and then mils for deflection...

I've never used it, but I think if you tell it what map you are playing on, your current mortar position (grid ref) and the grid reference of the target, it does all the calculations for you (including allowing for terrain elevation differences) and just gives you a bearing and angle to use.
Yeah, that just sounds like cheating, to me...

Can you not just take a bearing or lay an azimuth off the map, like in real life?
I guess this compass mentioned is useless for such things?

Soldato
Mils for range??!!
Used to be degrees (down to the ¼º) for range and then mils for deflection...

A milliradian is just a smaller unit of angular measurement than degrees though. In Squad, it's used for measuring the vertical angle of the tube, so it affects range.
Watch the video before you take what I say for granted though, it explains the mechanics better than I have.

Yeah, that just sounds like cheating, to me...

Can you not just take a bearing or lay an azimuth off the map, like in real life?
I guess this compass mentioned is useless for such things?

I think so. The map isn't all that accurate though, but like I said, if the SL places a marker on the target on the map, you can see it on your HUD compass and line up on it when using the mortar. But yes, essentially all you need is a bearing and range to the target.

I've never used the mortar calculator, so I can't comment on how it works exactly, I just know a lot of people use it; it seems to be considered an essential tool, so I don't think anyone considers it cheating. Personally, I think having a bearing and a range is enough, then having someone spot the fall of the shot for you is enough; but I don't use the mortar that often. In fact, I only really used it properly for the first time last weekend, when I found myself in a 3 man mortar squad after getting kicked from another squad. It's quite good fun though...we had the SL up on the hill communicating with other squads and spotting targets, then me and the other guy on the mortars calling out bearings and azimuths.

I think as @HybridX is saying though, it's just not that clear in Post Scriptum. In Squad, your compass bearing is displayed all the time, along the bottom of the screen as part of the HUD, and is very easy to read. In Post Scriptum, you have to hold a key to bring up an actual, phsyical, 3D rendered model of a compass on your screen (a bit like in Operation Flashpoint), and it's not as clear to read.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like they've listened to everyone and are gonna hold back the release for a month or so and carry on with the testing. Good on them for listening.

Soldato
A milliradian is just a smaller unit of angular measurement than degrees though.
I know. I've shot mortars for real. ISTR elevation being in degrees though, which were counted in quarters as clicks anyway. I only remember the deflection being in mils, for obvious reasons.
Either way, it looks a lot more accurate than the weapon in other combatty games, which is what I was mostly interested in!

I think so. The map isn't all that accurate though, but like I said, if the SL places a marker on the target on the map, you can see it on your HUD compass and line up on it when using the mortar.

But yes, essentially all you need is a bearing and range to the target.
I imagine players would get really bored if you had to keep cross-levelling it and all the other fine tuning!!

I guess the calculator is supposd to replace the map plotting...
I dunno. I'll get to find out on release day anyway.

Edit:
Looks like they've listened to everyone and are gonna hold back the release for a month or so and carry on with the testing. Good on them for listening.
DAMMMITTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldato
Beta access begins tomorrow 24/7 for people who have pre ordered.

In steam it shows up two clients Post Scriptum and Post Scriptum beta as far as I know so steams policy of refund would still apply even if you piled 1000 hours into the beta client

Good way to try it and I think I’ll give it a go

Last edited:
Soldato
Am I missing something? Silly question, as I clearly am, but anyway... How do I operate all the machine guns, mortars, vehicles etc?

I've tried every control command I can think of, but I can't get into trucks or anything - I'm a rifleman, but assigned to the Logi squad. Should I not get a Use icon pop up or something?

Soldato
I really wanted to love this game, but for the life of me had no god damn idea what was going on and where the enemy was. :(

Are you checking the map constantly and thinking about everything you do in relation to strategy on the map? Are you using cover as much as possible, are you lone wolfing or moving in coordination and speaking to others around you to ask what they see?

Situational awareness takes a long time to learn, this is not like other games. I was exactly the same when I played squad until I had about 40 hours under my belt.

Soldato
WAB has just reviewed it, seems like a good review and he's pretty honest with whats good and whats bad.

I would play more of it but just don't have the time, so much like with squad I'm happy to have it in my library in the off chance I get time. Money wasted it is not.

Associate
I was looking forward to this and meaning to buy it. But now I've got Overwatch I dont know when id find the time to play it!

Soldato
If I'm honest im not sure if i was ready for a full release as i feel it needs a bit more work and some more optimization, however my copy cost me nothing and I do enjoy playing PS a lot logging about 50 hrs since the "open beta" so i can't really complain lol

Back
Top Bottom