Post Scriptum

Soldato
Managed to get a few hours in over the weekend. Really, very enjoyable on the whole. Obviously every similar to Squad, but there's some elements and features which I think Squad would benefit from (as well as vice versa, of course). On the whole, it's shaping up quite nicely. FPS takes a hit compared to Squad, but it's not unplayable and seems map dependant; I'm sure it will improve as time goes on :)

Soldato
I had a much worse experience this test weekend than last. The servers I were on had a lot less teamwork and communication which was a bit sad to see.

Still had a good time, but nothing like last time. There seemed to be so many new players either without mics or just too scared to speak. It will obviously get better as all those lonewolfs get bored of hiding in a hedge and go and play something else.

Soldato
I had a much worse experience this test weekend than last. The servers I were on had a lot less teamwork and communication which was a bit sad to see.

Still had a good time, but nothing like last time. There seemed to be so many new players either without mics or just too scared to speak. It will obviously get better as all those lonewolfs get bored of hiding in a hedge and go and play something else.

True. I noticed that there wasn't as much organisation as in Squad. I was lucky enough to be in platoons formed of people communicating, but others were complaining that the command channel was silent and that not a lot was going on. At the time I wasn't too bothered, I was new too and kind of just finding my feet; I'm sure it will improve.

Soldato
OP
Updates from discord:

@everyone We have analyzed a few server crash logs and we think we know what is causing the issue. They are all calling to the same error so hopefully that will do it.
We will have a hotfix for it later today. Thanks for your patience on this testing session.

@everyone Update on the server crash situation

It is unlikely that we will have an update today, maybe overnight (EU timezone or hopefully tomorrow morning). We will off course extend the playtest duration to Sunday all the way up to Monday morning 8.00am GMT.
We will quickly test the new build internally to make sure it is actually fixed before we push it to you.
Thanks for your patience during this testing session!

Soldato
I wish they had an SLI profile up for this, I've enjoyed playing it a little but it looks so bad on low settings and I only get 30 fps on high, I need the second card to make it playable.

edit: Forced a Unreal4 demo sli profile, its allowed me to go up to a mixture of high and med settings now rather than low/med, makes the game look a lot nicer.

I hope the gtx1180s come out soon, I need to get me a couple of cheap 1080tis to boost the FPS a bit :) .

Last edited:
Soldato
The test weekend does not bode well. The devs had problems so did not release the latest build for test. Instead we got an older build and this build had server crash problems.

The game is out on full release in 9 days and still does not run that well either. It is a little hard to understand how this will be a full release while SQUAD is still in alpha and runs a lot smoother.

Soldato
Lol, theyre expecting to release in 9 days? I think they've got a good few months of testing and tweaking to do yet. I've been watching Sacriels twich stream and hes been pointing out loads of stuff that needs sorting before release, I hope the devs listen.

On the positive side they've got a fun game on their hands, lets hope they hold back and develope the game a little more. I think everyone whos already bought it will be happy to wait for the release and keep testing it on weekends for them till its done.

Soldato
OP
The build was an old one which was always going to have massive amount of bugs in as it was never meant to be played by the masses.

As for Sacriel commenting on it...judging from how poor he was/is at Sauad I relyre hope they don't pay too much attention to him.

Soldato
Oh that's good to know that it was an old build, im glad they have something more complete. I wonder why they didn't put the newer build up for testing though, ya would think they would want all the testing they could get so close to launch.

Sacriel does love the game btw, he was just giving constructive criticism on thing he thinks might improve the gameplay. Lol you must be pretty good if ya think Sacriel is poor, he seemed to be dominating it from what I saw. I'm pretty rubbish at these sorta games though so I wouldn't know any better. The last FPS game I was good at was counter strike 1.3, WoW dissolved any talent I might have had in the FPS genre.

Soldato
I think
Oh that's good to know that it was an old build, im glad they have something more complete. I wonder why they didn't put the newer build up for testing though, ya would think they would want all the testing they could get so close to launch.

It was an older build than intended for the test I believe because there was also a problem with the newer build. However once they realised it was already too late so went with the older one.

Hopefully they got the new build fixed and will do another test soon....time is running out.

I still think the spawn / FOB system needs a tweak to ensure there is a focus on the front line. At the moment play is very open. I think this suits SQUAD as that game is more about gorilla warfare. However the best moments I have had in Post Scriptum have been where play is more concentrated on a clear front line you were defending or could actually push on.

Soldato
Is there an official forum for PS? Doesn't seem to be one on their website.
I know there's Reddit, but I'd like to know if there's an official community forum I could browse through.

Soldato
One big thing for me that needs improving is the compass. I need to be able to see what bearing I'm looking at to call in mortars
How do the mortars work in this game?

I watched a few people playing mortar sections in Squad and it seemed like the section commander simply looked at his map, put a marker on it and told the gunners to shoot at it. I assume they had maps themselves, or a marker appeared on their screen?

Another lot were far better, with lots of practiced military jargon (albeit somewhat inaccurate) and their bloke seemed to be giving out ranges and proper azimuths, followed by fire corrections mostly in metres but also in mils. Seems like the gunners only had to dial in the alterations and fire...?

Soldato
How do the mortars work in this game?

I watched a few people playing mortar sections in Squad and it seemed like the section commander simply looked at his map, put a marker on it and told the gunners to shoot at it. I assume they had maps themselves, or a marker appeared on their screen?

Another lot were far better, with lots of practiced military jargon (albeit somewhat inaccurate) and their bloke seemed to be giving out ranges and proper azimuths, followed by fire corrections mostly in metres but also in mils. Seems like the gunners only had to dial in the alterations and fire...?

I've not used mortars in PS yet, but In Squad, when the squad leader places certain marker icons on the map (I think Attack and Movement markers), all of the squad members get a marker on their compass rose showing exactly which direction the marker is, and an approximate range (accurate to 50 metres I think), so they can move toward it without having to keep checking their maps.

When you use a mortar and bring up the sights, you can therefore orientate yourself to look in the direction of the map marker using your compass and moving the mouse left or right. And then adjust the angle of the mortar tube as desired for the range by moving the mouse up or down. Right-clicking will bring up the optical sight with an on screen chart which shows what angle the tube needs to be (in milliradians) for the desired range.

So if the SL places the marker exactly where he wants it, then it's fairly easy to dial in the range and fire, and then the SL (or anyone acting as a spotter) can watch the fall of the shot and tell you how far off target you are so you can correct. However, I know someone on the forums developed a mortar calculator which you can download and run as an app on your phone. I've never used it, but I think if you tell it what map you are playing on, your current mortar position (grid ref) and the grid reference of the target, it does all the calculations for you (including allowing for terrain elevation differences) and just gives you a bearing and angle to use.

Back
Top Bottom