Stormzy Cambridge Scholorship

Soldato
With every passing day I feel like I'm living in some Brass Eye / The Day Today universe.

From foot of the linked BBC article:

"To be eligible for this year's Stormzy Scholarship, applicants must be of black ethnicity and have an offer to study at Cambridge."

I genuinely don't know whether to laugh, cry or punch a weasel in the face at this relentless barrage of crap that's going on.

When will people realise that you cannot force diversity. It will only lead to resentment, and ultimately chaos/ violence/ we're all ******.

Man of Honour
I'm glad he is putting some of his wealth back into the community and i don't begrudge the kids he is helping at all, but the fact he can stipulate the colour of the kids he will help and there is no backlash at all is mind blowing to me. It would be career suicide if a white celeb tried to do the same for white kids and the media and social media would be wanting their head on a pike.

If it really is to do with minorities being under represented at Cambridge then what about the other minorities, why only Black kids?

'white' is not an underrepresented group at oxbridge so people would rightfully question why there needs to be a scholarship specifically for white people, they'll most likely conclude that the celeb is a racist. Now a scholarship for white kids from underprivileged backgrounds would be supported, as David Lammy pointed out a couple months ago on twitter, they are just as underrepresented at oxbridge.

He's one dude (Stormzy), if you want specific groups to also have scholarships why not ask why people from those groups who are now successful don't follow suit?

Why though? Why *should* we be supporting black kids over white ones?

Who said anything about supporting them over white ones? What exactly are white kids losing out on here?

Soldato
'white' is not an underrepresented group at oxbridge so people would rightfully question why there needs to be a scholarship specifically for white people, they'll most likely conclude that the celeb is a racist. Now a scholarship for white kids from underprivileged backgrounds would be supported, as David Lammy pointed out a couple months ago on twitter, they are just as underrepresented at oxbridge.

He's one dude (Stormzy), if you want specific groups to also have scholarships why not ask why people from those groups who are now successful don't follow suit?

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam...-of-ethnic-minorities-university-of-cambridge

Have things changed since then?

And just to be clear here what's the end goal? That every profession, institution etc, the populations of those professions and institutions proportionally matches the population? I'd love to see the day we have 50% female builders and 50% male nail salon workers. As well as ~90% white chinese/indian restaurant workers.

That sounds like marxism progress.

Last edited:
Soldato
Like segregation right? Sitting at the back of the bus doesn't really harm anyone. Or them there blacks only fountains, toilets, showers etc.

Ding ding! All aboard the equality of outcome bus. First stop diversityville, followed by multicultural parkway, terminating in hell.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
I dont see him offering the same to poor white kids, the white ones are losing out, purely because they are white..

No, they are losing out because they are poor. White kids really aren't losing out when it comes to Cambridge admissions.

Caporegime
I don't see how it is different from someone donating to a charity that is close to their heart (say a cancer one), it doesn't mean they are discriminating against other charities.

He obviously has a personal link to improverished black youth backgrounds, and thus wishes to donate money to help others with that background.

Soldato
I don't see how it is different from someone donating to a charity that is close to their heart (say a cancer one), it doesn't mean they are discriminating against other charities.

He obviously has a personal link to improverished black youth backgrounds, and thus wishes to donate money to help others with that background.
This is fine except him growing up in london I'm sure he met plenty of impoverished white youths too. And if the boot was on the other foot and it was the other way around, firstly the BBC wouldn't be promoting it, and chances are if it was a high profile celebrity they would be chastised.

Soldato
Serious question for a moment:

With stories like this, and something similar. Every. Single. Day. Does anyone else feel like they are being played? I mean seriously being played...

Soldato
Obviously it does matter but promoting himself aside, its not hard to see why he feels the need to sponsor black students considering he is from London. Wrong or right, i am not going to protest him wanting to pay for a couple of students out of his pocket.

I don't think there's anything wrong with him helping out black people, they're basically people in his community, he has an appreciation for their struggle and wants to help out. The issue is that white people doing the same would be considered discrimination.

Soldato
Serious question for a moment:

With stories like this, and something similar. Every. Single. Day. Does anyone else feel like they are being played? I mean seriously being played...

Hook, line, sinker, rod, reel and copy of Angling Times.

Just ignore it and eventually it will go away.

Soldato
I don't think there's anything wrong with him helping out black people, they're basically people in his community, he has an appreciation for their struggle and wants to help out. The issue is that white people doing the same would be considered discrimination.

I think it would depend on how it is portrayed. If it was a scholarship for white people because they want to help white people, then possibly but if it was to specifically help poor white people, then i imagine there would be little uproar.

Back
Top Bottom