Stormzy Cambridge Scholorship

Soldato
Let's say it was a scholarship for women on engineering courses. If a man applied and was turned down would he take them to court?

Well I just learnt something new!

"Action against discrimination
You can do something voluntarily to help people with a protected characteristic. This is called ‘positive action’.

Taking positive action is legal if people with a protected characteristic:

• are at a disadvantage
  • have particular needs
  • are under-represented in an activity or type of work"
So it is discimination, but it is legal because it would be classed as "positive action".

https://www.gov.uk/discrimination-your-rights

Caporegime
are blacks really under represented as a percentage of the population or at a disadvantage compared to anyone else in the same financial circumstances.

you know where black people really are under represented , check out staff in supermarkets, why don't they do something about that.
maybe the ones not going to uni can fill the role

white privileged :rolleyes: I thought it was factual that is was nonsense by now, loads of black people made videos about how ridiculous it was.

guess you can't really blame the people who take advantage of the hysteria though, it's the smart thing to do

Soldato
He should have just made it for people from a lower socio-economic background. If it was targetted at a particular area then the likely candidates would have been black.

I don't agree with this reverse discrimination thing because 2 wrongs don't make a right. Also these two black students.. people at the place are going to think that they only got there because they are black, and sadly that is precisely why. It's not even hidden.

I mean seriously.. would you be 100% happy knowing you only got a job because of your skin colour?

Soldato
He should have just made it for people from a lower socio-economic background. If it was targetted at a particular area then the likely candidates would have been black.

I don't agree with this reverse discrimination thing because 2 wrongs don't make a right. Also these two black students.. people at the place are going to think that they only got there because they are black, and sadly that is precisely why. It's not even hidden.

I mean seriously.. would you be 100% happy knowing you only got a job because of your skin colour?
I agree with what you're saying if they only got there based on skin colour, but in this case they do still have to earn the place on the course. They're being awarded the money to be able to study there, not the right.

Soldato
Given his wealth of 1.5m, and that this will eventually cost him about 150k a year, and he's not just fronting a charity looking for donations, this is really a significantly generous act for him and as such I applaud it - putting your money where your mouth is.

I don't really like the message though - that you need this gift to attend Cambridge. Everyone who gets the grades can attend Cambridge, Oxford, or anywhere they like. What they don't get is the confidence to apply in the first place or to get past the interview.

Honestly, I know the loans put a lot of people off, but all his money is doing is avoiding the worry of big loans for some people who already have unconditional offers from Cambridge. It's not enough. Put the money into careers advice so all young people can have the confidence that they can go to Cambridge, loans won't ruin them, and have the coaching to get through the interview.

Middle class kids don't worry about the loans because their parents understand debt and know the loans are nothing. Poor kids are told by their parents loans will blight their lives - it's not bright house. Some types of debt really don't matter.

Frankly I believe careers advice needs to be taken out of schools - mine was done by a PE teacher for god's sake. It should have a wealth of information and speakers from local employers, big industry, apprenticeships, milk round employers and be staffed by people who went to various universities - ex-polys, red brick, lse, oxbridge. If there's only one center per 50 schools that's fine - not every school has a swimming pool either - they get bused in. Even better young people could visit as they liked in their own time - like public libraries, where they still exist.

Soldato
I'll give some money to 2 people through paypal gift as long as they are white.

Let's see how that goes down on twitter. :p

Soldato
Regardless, if Ed Sheehan did the same but only for white kids, the reaction would be seismic.

Yep there would be an absolute melt down.

What i've realised is, it's fine to discriminate and be openly racist as long as you are not white.

It's all good though.... the PC brigade are just fuelling the right wing more and more with their actions. If they carry on as they are Trump is only the beginning.

Caporegime
Would a rich white person even be allow by Cambridge to offer this for white kids only?

Sure, especially if it was aimed at underprivileged white kids.

I’m sure a few people on twitter would get grumpy, but no different to a few people on here getting grumpy about it being aimed at black kids. They should just be ignored, society would be a better place if we did.

Back
Top Bottom