Petrol

Soldato
My Astra runs much better on V-Power fuel it picks up better and feels smoother through the revs. My last couple of tanks were Tesco 99 and it does not feel as lively and a bit lumpy at idle.

Associate
My Astra runs much better on V-Power fuel it picks up better and feels smoother through the revs. My last couple of tanks were Tesco 99 and it does not feel as lively and a bit lumpy at idle.

Im surprised by this, ive never noticed any difference between how either the 350z or the M5 feels on Momentum 99 and V-Power...

Associate
My focus ST gets better mpg with v power it seems but not noticed performance improvement vs Shell regular
Found the same with my 225.

The 6.0 V8 Monaro can get a huge difference when running V-Power, 27.1mpg compared to 22mpg on a long motorway journey at 70 on cruise control.

Associate
I've always thought the same, but I'm starting to wonder if it's just placebo now... I definitely do get slightly better mpg on V-Power though.

Soldato
I've always thought the same, but I'm starting to wonder if it's just placebo now... I definitely do get slightly better mpg on V-Power though.

With Tesco 99 mine feels a bit hesitant and not as smooth when revved slowly through the revs. The idle is slightly lumpy too. I don’t get this with V-Power. My GTC with the same engine was the same too.

It’s not a huge difference but certainly noticeable enough for me to prefer using V-Power when possible.

Soldato
so in Cambridge 1.47 V-Power, 1.35 Momentum , ~1.30 normal
Subsequently read elswhere, if you just want high Octane then Momentum, or if you want better detergent package V-Power ... so a 50:50 mix ;)

Soldato
I filled up tonight, normal shell was 134, premium was 144. So 10p difference over a 50 litre fill. An extra fiver however the increased mpg is worth it, plus I don't really care about the cost of it anymore. I spend roughly 3 grand a year on fuel, saving less than 10% is nothing.

Soldato
Strange logic. 10% of a lot, is a lot.
as calculated ... previous page ... she's worth it

having chosen momentum, as commented by Moogleys, does nor run as well as my recollection of last years V-Power fill.

I still need to experiment with the 3rd way Red Line SI-1
but need to know how to effectively mix it ... do we know what volume of detergent(non-inflammables) is in v-power ?

[
My nearest tesco would add an hour onto my commute so i rather pay more:p.
you mean your commute is in london and it would be an extra mile ?
]

Man of Honour
I don't think I get any gains in MPG but they claim that premium fuels are cleaner and easier on the engine so I take their word for it. Fool on me maybe but at least I like to think it's working. Maybe a couple more horsepower too but it's hard to feel any difference.

Associate
The GT86 states "98 RON ONLY" in the fuel cap. However running it on supermarket 95 RON petrol is fine, but the ignition has to be retarded a little to prevent knocking, thus reducing power by a pretty much un-noticable amount. You might notice improved MPG with 98RON, maybe not.

I exclusively use BP Ultimate 97 as it's available readily where as the other premium fuels are not.

Back
Top Bottom