Petrol

Soldato
as calculated ... previous page ... she's worth it

having chosen momentum, as commented by Moogleys, does nor run as well as my recollection of last years V-Power fill.

I still need to experiment with the 3rd way Red Line SI-1
but need to know how to effectively mix it ... do we know what volume of detergent(non-inflammables) is in v-power ?

[

you mean your commute is in london and it would be an extra mile ?
]
:D. I actually get up to 70 on my commute, and get to go at 60 for most of the way. I'd walk if i lived in london, or just not live/work there.

Soldato
Since then the MPG (indicated) has dropped lolz
denser air should be better - no ? or the warm-up period is relatively large. ?
or tesco messed their tanks up again ?

am still considering one of these as an alternative (100K petrol)
from reviews/Q's seems adding it after brimming the tank and a run at 70mph is what the doctor ordered ... any comments.
43734749154_210c190a74_o_d.jpg

Soldato
None of them will clean the back of the valves though.
it's not a direct injection bmw petrol engine , which is the type of engine where this predominates apparently. (not an n47 - is it ? - the trouble makers)
EDIT : wrong engine its the n53

and BMW seem less afflicted than audi/vw according to this

referenced from this usa web site where I had read about PEA additives nwhich can clean them
lol - a complete forum dedicated to petrol https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4845413/1

Last edited:
Well I am a little surprised. I wasn't really expecting what last night showed.

I had a half decent journey home last night, and set a new record MPG for my 20 miler commute (in car indicated). It was slightly warmer but no where near as warm as it has been and my car seems to get increased MPG as the heat goes up.

What I noticed initially was that i was having to brake on a few corners i dont normally, speed was clearly a little higher which can only be down to slightly better pick up. I literally drove as normal, I don't really watch the speedo much as unless you had a deathwish most of my commute, much above 60mpg would be just silly (only a few stretches on NSL are long enough to warrant that level of speed, otherwise just more braking sooner)

Going to keep an eye and see if this carries on, maybe my car likes 99 more than it should.

I could possibly, be persuaded it was a little smoother, it pretty damn good anyway, but a few times when accelerating from 30mph zones in 4th it did seem a little better, its pickup really I think.

Odd really, I was set to be convinced I would see no difference. Interesting how initial MPG seemed down, but now its up. Goes to show how weather etc can affect it quite a lot.

Soldato
denser air should be better - no ? or the warm-up period is relatively large. ?
or tesco messed their tanks up again ?

am still considering one of these as an alternative (100K petrol)
from reviews/Q's seems adding it after brimming the tank and a run at 70mph is what the doctor ordered ... any comments.
43734749154_210c190a74_o_d.jpg

I've used the Archoil and the diesel version, and use their fuel conditioner regularly as well, found it gives me around 5mpg more.

Last edited:
Don
Well I am a little surprised. I wasn't really expecting what last night showed.

I had a half decent journey home last night, and set a new record MPG for my 20 miler commute (in car indicated). It was slightly warmer but no where near as warm as it has been and my car seems to get increased MPG as the heat goes up.

What I noticed initially was that i was having to brake on a few corners i dont normally, speed was clearly a little higher which can only be down to slightly better pick up. I literally drove as normal, I don't really watch the speedo much as unless you had a deathwish most of my commute, much above 60mpg would be just silly (only a few stretches on NSL are long enough to warrant that level of speed, otherwise just more braking sooner)

Going to keep an eye and see if this carries on, maybe my car likes 99 more than it should.

I could possibly, be persuaded it was a little smoother, it pretty damn good anyway, but a few times when accelerating from 30mph zones in 4th it did seem a little better, its pickup really I think.

Odd really, I was set to be convinced I would see no difference. Interesting how initial MPG seemed down, but now its up. Goes to show how weather etc can affect it quite a lot.

The weather makes the biggest difference to the drive-ability of my car by far.

Soldato
99-yes - have a down hill into 30mph speed camera (elizabeth way), noticeably have to remove foot from accelerator earlier, to avoid gathering too much speed

The weather makes the biggest difference to the drive-ability of my car by far.

Petrol?

I have recently switched back to petrol from last few cars being dirty oil burners, and where they never seem to perform any differently in different weather, but did seem to lose some MPG when really cold, the petrol seems way more sensitive to temperature.

I am still quite surprised on what happened, interested to see what happens with the temp dropping back this week.

Don
Petrol?

I have recently switched back to petrol from last few cars being dirty oil burners, and where they never seem to perform any differently in different weather, but did seem to lose some MPG when really cold, the petrol seems way more sensitive to temperature.

I am still quite surprised on what happened, interested to see what happens with the temp dropping back this week.

Yep, petrol with FI (turbo).

Soldato
The best way is to just keep using good quality fuel to try and prevent buildup in the first place. I have a friend who took a 15 year old V6 to bits recently and it was squeaky clean inside. It has run on V-power/premium it's whole life with nothing special added to it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The best way is to just keep using good quality fuel to try and prevent buildup in the first place. I have a friend who took a 15 year old V6 to bits recently and it was squeaky clean inside. It has run on V-power/premium it's whole life with nothing special added to it.

regular servicing is a must too - max of 10k miles or 1 year between oil services.

major fluids every 2-4 years, e.g. differential and transmission fluid would be 4 years or 40k miles whatever comes first.

a lot of cars are put on plans these days which sometimes means they can see 20-30K or 2-3 years between oil changes.

Soldato
regular servicing is a must too - max of 10k miles or 1 year between oil services.

major fluids every 2-4 years, e.g. differential and transmission fluid would be 4 years or 40k miles whatever comes first.

a lot of cars are put on plans these days which sometimes means they can see 20-30K or 2-3 years between oil changes.

Is 10k just a number you plucked out of the air, or do you have some theory behind it.
Mines 18k miles between services or every two years.

Soldato
I wouldn't want to leave the same oil in for 2 years. Plus I suppose the filters also get replaced every 2 years as well!

Manufacturers only have to cover engine problems for as long as the warranty lasts. As long as it survives that while making them look "greener" on paper they don't care about long term issues. Old/dirty oil will cause accelerated wear.

You will notice that the people who make the most reliable cars (the Japanese) still all have 10-12k service intervals...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Is 10k just a number you plucked out of the air, or do you have some theory behind it.
Mines 18k miles between services or every two years.

See above. Cars used to be serviced every 10-12k miles or 1 year before long life servicing became a thing around 15 years ago.

2 years is far too long. It does all depend on how long you plan on keeping the car and how old it is etc.

If its brand new and you replace every 1-4 years then just stick to the cars built in schedule. Because you don't care about how long it will last and you shouldn't have any issues within the first 3-5 years if doing normal mileage.

If its for life or mega mileage then look after it and service it properly.

Associate
See above. Cars used to be serviced every 10-12k miles or 1 year before long life servicing became a thing around 15 years ago.

Look at the most reliable cars (JD Power etc) and those at the top (Toyota, Lexus etc) have short 10k to 12k service intervals.

Most execs have long service intervals to keep fleet managers happy. Doesn’t the Jag XE have a maximum interval of something like 24k miles?

Back
Top Bottom